OK I'm finally ready to buy a legit slow pitch rod....

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    ... and between the cost and choosing the right one, it's a bit daunting. On top of that I like to see things first hand B4 I buy and there aren't any shops that stock much of them in NorCal.

So far I've looked at the cheap stuff (Tsunami, Goofish), not going that route. Shimano Grappler & Daiwa Harrier SPJ are in the $200. range, do-able but I'm not sure if they are a generic version vastly inferior to the real deal. Benny Ortiz promotes the Temple Reef products around $300 to $400 and Phenix & Accurate have similar priced units, not bankbreaking but I'm not used to paying that much for a rod . Then there is the Japan & high end US mfgs that I just can't justify the crazy prices they ask.

So what do you have/like/want?
    Anybody have experience with the Shimano or Daiwa?
    Is $300 the cutoff between the junk and the decent stuff out there?
    Anybody know of a dealer in Northern California that stocks SPJ rods? (I haven't found any)

I also need to choose the right weight/action for the conditions out here (swell, strong currents & wind).
    To be paired up with Accurate valiant, 150-250g jigs, fishing 150-250ft depths.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Hey Pro,

Take a look at the Blackhole lineup of Cape Cod Slow pitch rods... If you need something heavier, depending on your targeted species, you can also look at the Cape Cod Jigging rods...We carry them but of course we are about 400 miles south of you. Best of luck.

Jamie

Upvote 0

jimjones

Mar 12, 2019
    Long Island ny
    Name
    Jimjones
    Boat
    Nauticstar
    I have a Phenix titan slow pitch rod with acid wrapped guides paired with my accurate bv300. Had multiple fish at 50-60lbs with it. I am very happy with my Phenix rod. I also have a black hole rod which is also very good. Each rod was over 300 a piece though.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I have a Phenix titan slow pitch rod with acid wrapped guides paired with my accurate bv300. Had multiple fish at 50-60lbs with it. I am very happy with my Phenix rod. I also have a black hole rod which is also very good. Each rod was over 300 a piece though.
    Would you happen to know the model number on your Phenix rod?

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Good info, thx for the replies.
    I'm ready to take the plunge but I think I'm going to wait a little more on what the market reveals. This is a relatively new fishing technology, and if you know anything about tech, when it's new and has limited distribution the prices are sky high. Within a year or so, somebody comes out with a reasonably priced unit that everybody can afford and performs as well as the top dollar stuff. Daiwa has a SPJ rod coming out shortly that's gonna be under $200, if it's crap it won't matter, but if it does the job well and other mfgs follow suit, I think the days of $500 SPJ rods will be history.

Reactions: aztec23
    Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
    Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    360 Tuna classifieds have a few slow pitch rods for sale. Tackle World if you cant find a rod out here.

Upvote 0

J blair

Almost A Member
    Jul 6, 2019
    Usa
    Name
    J blair
    Boat
    Charter
    It is really hard to find a one rod solution. Shorter rods on private boats work well. On cattle boats longer is better. To do both the 6' 8" is a good choice. For depths under 300' mid range rods work well. If fishing deep water high end rods shine. I bought a goofish to see if it was any good and was suprised that it was fishable in under 300'. It makes a good loaner. For beginners holding the rod isn't going to tell much about performance until you get a feel for jigging. Like any other fishing rod, better quality costs and the price will not drop too much. Just labeling a rod SPJ won't make it so. Tsunami SPJ rods are better for anything that isn't SPJ. Great for using sabiki rigs and well made at the price point. At the $300 price range the Gravitate G3 is a good all around rod. You will buy mistakes in rods, jigs and reels. It's just part of the game, have fun along the way.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    It is really hard to find a one rod solution. Shorter rods on private boats work well. On cattle boats longer is better. To do both the 6' 8" is a good choice. For depths under 300' mid range rods work well. If fishing deep water high end rods shine. I bought a goofish to see if it was any good and was suprised that it was fishable in under 300'. It makes a good loaner. For beginners holding the rod isn't going to tell much about performance until you get a feel for jigging. Like any other fishing rod, better quality costs and the price will not drop too much. Just labeling a rod SPJ won't make it so. Tsunami SPJ rods are better for anything that isn't SPJ. Great for using sabiki rigs and well made at the price point. At the $300 price range the Gravitate G3 is a good all around rod. You will buy mistakes in rods, jigs and reels. It's just part of the game, have fun along the way.

Thx for the input.

Here in my area of California we can't bottom fish deeper than 260', unless I do a lot of travel fishing I don't think it will be much of an issue. I'm no beginner to jigging so I definitely can get an idea of how a rod will perform with a couple of visual checks, granted nothing matches getting on the water with it, but $300. mistakes is something I've never done, nor will.

I've seen the Goofish & Tsumani stuff, just light jigging rods IMO, and I've been putting my hands on every SPJ/SLP rod I come across (Accurate/Phenix,etc), I also used a loaner legit Japanese rod (Gallihad) on a couple trips, so I understand it a little at this point.

I'm still going to wait, a couple mfgs are going to put out their SPJ offerings soon at prices I feel are appropriate for this type of rod.

Upvote 0

J blair

Almost A Member
    Jul 6, 2019
    Usa
    Name
    J blair
    Boat
    Charter
    The Galahad is a good rod works a jig well. The most important thing is how a rod works a jig. Some popular rods just don't work a jig well. Bendo shots aren't a sign of a rod that works a jig correctly. If you buy a midrange rod in the right power you will be ahead. Everyone is going to put a SPJ label on a rod and people will buy them. I personally stick to established SPJ brands.

Reactions: Proteus
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The Galahad is a good rod works a jig well. The most important thing is how a rod works a jig. Some popular rods just don't work a jig well. Bendo shots aren't a sign of a rod that works a jig correctly. If you buy a midrange rod in the right power you will be ahead. Everyone is going to put a SPJ label on a rod and people will buy them. I personally stick to established SPJ brands.
    Yes it was, I was scared not to beat it up as it was a loaner, easy to get a good flow on the jig but really soft, lost a bit of fish & rigs.

That's where I think the balance is going to be for this type of fishing, how well it performs the presentation vs how fast it is to keep fish out of the rocks/reef. In NorCal, between the water clarity, conditions, & fishery, we're so hugged to the bottom that finding that balance will probably mean the difference between success & buying/replacing lost jigs.

Upvote 0

J blair

Almost A Member
    Jul 6, 2019
    Usa
    Name
    J blair
    Boat
    Charter
    Getting bit is the first concern. The action of the jig is what matters most. A powerful reel is what keeps the fish off the bottom. I do very little lifting with the rod. You really must change your fighting style in SPJ. When you get bit the reel takes over. Word around the camp fire is Temple Reef is coming out with a new budget friendly rod. They make good gear and it could be a winner. I don't want to push brands, everyone has favorites.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    I'm fully aware of the fighting technique, I'm one of the few up here doing this. That's why I say for this area I think this style of fishing will have to be adapted a little.

I also heard about the budget TR, until someone out west starts stocking them, and I can see it first hand, I can't justify the purchase no matter what the reviews.

Upvote 0

J blair

Almost A Member
    Jul 6, 2019
    Usa
    Name
    J blair
    Boat
    Charter
    I was fishing for Benny, no bite. He's a TR man, but is honest about all other brands. He's no Willie Wonka and won't sugar coat crap. I have bought rods and sold them after one use. For action, the TR is really good. For fighting a fish, the Black Hole is stronger IMHO. My go to rod is the levitate 68-3. It handles bad conditions better than most other rods and outshines the Black Hole. Like you, I tried to save money and never looked back after buying the Levitate.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    I was fishing for Benny, no bite. He's a TR man, but is honest about all other brands. He's no Willie Wonka and won't sugar coat crap. I have bought rods and sold them after one use. For action, the TR is really good. For fighting a fish, the Black Hole is stronger IMHO. My go to rod is the levitate 68-3. It handles bad conditions better than most other rods and outshines the Black Hole. Like you, I tried to save money and never looked back after buying the Levitate.

You rang?

TR does have a more entry level rod on its way (price-wise). First prototypes are being shipped to me for testing now.

Reactions: jonhjax
    Upvote 0

vancfish

Nov 12, 2018
    RVA
    Name
    Jack Davis
    Boat
    14' Jon Boat
    That's awesome to hear Benny. Think it will be out by the end of the year? 150-200ish price range?

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    That's awesome to hear Benny. Think it will be out by the end of the year? 150-200ish price range?

Higher end of that range, and either late 2020 or early 2021. I need to get the action right on them first with some testing.

Reactions: vancfish
    Upvote 0

vancfish

Nov 12, 2018
    RVA
    Name
    Jack Davis
    Boat
    14' Jon Boat
    Sounds good! Looking at getting an Innovate, Gravitate or this new one in the next year.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    I got agoofish and a harrier. I grabbed the goofish before the harrier because of the spiral wrap.

I paired it with the valiant 500N because i originally got it for YFT in OBX. Damned covid.

I got to play with albacore up in PNW and love it. It is lighter than ones i have compared with other people's "SPJ's on the dock. The rod is a tool of the reel in SPJ. It isn't the tip action, it is the rod action, the full rod action.

There is becoming an "American-style" SPJ rod being built that is not along the same lines as the Asian built-used SPJ rods. Skinny, only grip is at the reel seat, etc. When you see small people bring in huge fish fast with those rods, that is what i want. I am a gimp, not small by any means, but i can bring 2 albies to the gaff for every one else's 1. I like the goofish rod balance, action and build. It is severely light. I call it my Barbie tuna rod. Waiting for American builders to get same features.

I would be using the harrier, i love it, but am leaning more towards spiral wraps.

Screenshot_20200905-210723.png

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
    ShillCreek, WA USA
    Name
    Shari
    Boat
    Mr. Buttercup
    So, my Barbie rod may not be a legit slowpitch to most, but it was a start, let me know if i wanted to do it and invest further which is happening when i can find the barbies features! 😉

Reactions: jonhjax
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    So, my Barbie rod may not be a legit slowpitch to most, but it was a start, let me know if i wanted to do it and invest further which is happening when i can find the barbies features! 😉

The Shimano Trevala "S" was my start into flat fall jigs, I did make the investment in a legit piece, will post a NorCal SPJ report once I get out on the water and put it the test.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    That is not the Barbie rod! You need the pink one to qualify........ and I have one. :-)
    It is what I would call an ultralight. People can laugh all they want but It gets the job done. Can't wait to hang a YT on it. Point and crank.
    Jeff

Upvote 0