Saltwater OK..How did everyone do on shrimp?

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
We did the Elliot Bay thing and did well. I took out two groups of my son's buddies ( 7-8 year old kids ) and thay all had fun fun trying to pull pots and messing with the shrimp. We ended up with 375 for 5 pulls of the 4 traps. Best time was mid-morning, it dropped off as the afternoon went on. Bit of a CF at the ramp getting out but we made it work.

Big feast tomorrow at my place. Got lots of cold Pacifico ready for the party.

Upvote 0

westown1

mmmm tuna
Nov 3, 2009
Bothell, wa
Name
weston
Boat
None
Big feast tomorrow at my place. Got lots of cold Pacifico ready for the party.[/QUOTE]

good numbers on the shrimpys man, that sounds like an open invitation!!

Upvote 0

Navanax

Almost A Member
Mar 26, 2009
Whidbey Island
Name
Ken
Boat
16' C-Dory, Red Snapper
I got a couple dozen diving last night. Pretty good grade and left plenty behind. By hand one at a time is bit less effective but a hoot.

Upvote 0

westown1

mmmm tuna
Nov 3, 2009
Bothell, wa
Name
weston
Boat
None
I got a couple dozen diving last night. Pretty good grade and left plenty behind. By hand one at a time is bit less effective but a hoot.

where do you find shrimp shallow enough to dive? were always fishing our pots at 250' or more......shows how much i know huh?
icon7.gif

Upvote 0

Quan

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
Note: I copied my own reply from another post asking about how shrimping went... Just wanted to include it in both places.

MA7 here, got 308 out of 320 shrimp on 4 pulls. Not bad for my first time shrimping!! Thanks to all who gave me advice as I geared up for this Saturday. Linging wasn't as productive.

We only caught 1, although it was right at the top of the slot limit at 35". I was a bit unprepared for Ling fishing because I didn't know they actually shut down rockfish (For some reason I thought they just made it a 120' depth limit). Anyway, I usually stock small herring to catch a rockfish, and then throw the rockfish down for bait.... well, I obviously couldn't do this, so the whole day consisted of catching tons of rockfish and 15-25" Lings.

An awesome day overall, brought in that ling, plenty of shrimp, saw 5 eagles and 3 hawks duking it out over a couple rockfish floaters, a turkey vulture, and we even got a glimpse of the orcas (Scared of us, my ass).

Upvote 0

Navanax

Almost A Member
Mar 26, 2009
Whidbey Island
Name
Ken
Boat
16' C-Dory, Red Snapper
Hey Weston - re "where do you find shrimp shallow enough to dive? were always fishing our pots at 250' or more....."

At night they come in shallow on sand/gravel shelves. I get them at 70-90' or so. Never see them shallower than 60'.
Ken

Upvote 0

westown1

mmmm tuna
Nov 3, 2009
Bothell, wa
Name
weston
Boat
None
Hey Weston - re "where do you find shrimp shallow enough to dive? were always fishing our pots at 250' or more....."

At night they come in shallow on sand/gravel shelves. I get them at 70-90' or so. Never see them shallower than 60'.
Ken

thats pretty cool. ive been to 75 feet or so and it was darkkkkkkk during the day. ill get a little more experience first before i take on that challenge, sound fun tho....thx

Upvote 0