openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Belvedere
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2820
    1 million dollars for 25,00 gallons. That's about a small swimming pool worth. Sheese I'm all about taking care of business but did they find more tar on the beach than what I get on my truck on a fresh asphalt road.

For those that dont know and to put it into perspective petroleum seeps into the ocean in North America waters to the tune of 160,000 tonnes through natural seeps each year......a billion dollar fine, you are wacked.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
    Nov 7, 2005
    La Costa
    Name
    Chuck G
    Boat Name
    8' sabot #69
    I believe a ship's anchor dragged the pipe. How is that the oil company's fault? The ship was there in that area because the port was overcrowded due to Covid protocol at the docks. It ends up the Covid stuff was mostly BS. And guess who will ultimately pay for an over-inflated fine? Can you figure that one out? Will the fine be used to "solve" the underlying issue or does it go to the government's slush fund?

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    I believe a ship's anchor dragged the pipe. How is that the oil company's fault? The ship was there in that area because the port was overcrowded due to Covid protocol at the docks. It ends up the Covid stuff was mostly BS. And guess who will ultimately pay for an over-inflated fine? Can you figure that one out? Will the fine be used to "solve" the underlying issue or does it go to the government's slush fund?

Part of it is Amplify's delay in shutting it off.

That pipe is a well documented hazard. The underlying issue is the poor choice in choosing to anchor there or managing the ship while on anchor. Whatever ship it was the captain is 100% at fault.

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    It's your beaches. Apparently I care more about the so.Cal beaches than
    You do and I live in Arizona
    Grew up in HB, entire family still
    In HB, was actually there when it occurred, the entire time. Plenty of people made a hell of a political show of it, however. And certainly sure the local entities and the “State of Emergency” paid, just like the several CA keeps going for C-19, Drought,,,,,,,

Instead of an “Evil Big Oil” bias, mayne you should read a bit about the cargo ship that dropped in a known hazard area and failed to report a snagged hook. Sure the Intrepid is carbon neutral.

And the “oil company” paid millions to have hundreds standing on our beaches under E-Z ups for weeks.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0