Abaco

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
So, I'm thinking (which is usually dangerous) - anybody else hoping the albies show up this year? What has it been, about 5 or 6 years since we saw them in good numbers in the south? My first trip, about 7 years ago on the R.P. we got into them and I had never seen one before. But, I got to see plenty on that trip and really loved fishing for them. Here's hoping mother nature sends them our way. I'll have to dig up a photo from that first trip with me proudly holding one up...

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Albacore have two branches of migration... The Northern migration travel up. Westport Is by far the best place for commercial and sport catches.

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Its all about conditions, hasn't been right for the last few years or so, the only thing I am pretty sure of, every year will be different from the last, pursue what is available and biting, get out there and catch em and have fun!

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
We had them disappear in the 80's for awhile. The rumor spread at that time was that the drift gill nets found their migration path and wiped them out. I think now we just chalk it up to cyclic variations in population and migration routes. In the early 2000's they were thick. We'd limit out on them in the morning en route to the rocks. The last trip I caught them they were all slugs. My 15 fish limit had none under 35 pounds.

Reactions: makairaa

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
If it were a true El Niño
In past it and if it holds true would be followed by cooler temps in which we would see the albies
Been lucky enough to experience the late 80s 90s and early 2000s El Niño
So not really holding for them bring on the yellowfin and bluefin with a few hoo mixed in

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
So, I'm thinking (which is usually dangerous) - anybody else hoping the albies show up this year? What has it been, about 5 or 6 years since we saw them in good numbers in the south? My first trip, about 7 years ago on the R.P. we got into them and I had never seen one before. But, I got to see plenty on that trip and really loved fishing for them. Here's hoping mother nature sends them our way. I'll have to dig up a photo from that first trip with me proudly holding one up...
This will make the 9th year that the albacore don't show. They are the best tablefare of the tuna family, plus they are great home canned.

I agree the BFT and YFT are a much better fighting tuna, and we've had a couple excellent years catching them in our local waters, but the question remains what happened to the Southern migration?

Saw this happen in 1986, and it was as if someone threw the switch, and no long fins came into our area. It was found some offending countries had strung nylon drift nets for thousands of yards killing everything that swam into them.

The offending countries were forced to remove these killing machines, but it was still another 5-6 years before we finally saw the return of the albacore which was 1996 or 97.

The bite continued till 2007 when, again, the switch was thrown, so no albacore for, thru last year, 8 years of absence.

Reactions: Bigfishhateme

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Tomorrow 2/11 NOAA is scheduled it update on the current ENSO-EL Nino cycle. If we are continuing in a strong El Nino I am thinking that we will see few if any albacore. Typically the albacore have shown in SoCal in the seasons following an El Nino when there is a shift to ENSO neutral or even moving to La Nina conditions. The last two seasons have been great with the amazing and consistent fishing of exotics. But when the albacore are in a frenzey nothing bites as wide- open or is more fun.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
This will make the 9th year that the albacore don't show. They are the best tablefare of the tuna family, plus they are great home canned.

I agree the BFT and YFT are a much better fighting tuna, and we've had a couple excellent years catching them in our local waters, but the question remains what happened to the Southern migration?

Jerry I guess if I were fishing just for the food aspect of fishing I would just go to Point Loma Seafood buy what I needed and save a bundle of $$$$$....

I just don't miss the long fins that much.....JMO

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
JMO but I would rather have the fishing that Southern California enjoyed last year for yellowfin, dorado, wahoo, bluefin and yellowtail over having albacore return.
Agree wholeheartedly. Much rather have these other fish than albacore. And I say that even though I can catch them most of the summer here in Oregon where they've been very abundant and consistent all those years they've been absent down south. And don't want to start a shitstorm over their table quality; I love canned albacore, and trade in a bunch of YFT with Fisherman's Canning, but you'll be hard-pressed to get me to eat one rather than YFT, YT, BFT, Wahoo................. Work as second deckhand on a charter out of Depoe Bay and have access to albacore all summer: they're fun to catch on light tackle, but I never keep any-----I'd just rather eat those others that I think are better.

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
Eureka had them this past year. Morro saw some not this year, but last. Maybe they'll hit Central Cal this year.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Oily chickens...rather have Dorado.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
The offshore water temps are still above normal for this time of year and unless we suddenly get a whole row of northerly storms it does not look to change. El nino or not. So I doubt any numbers of albies to the south this year. La Ninas do typically follow El Ninos so 2017 might be a good albie year. Water needs time to cool off.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
I really like the Albies best for tuna when it comes to sushi or canning. With that being said, it is always cold and usually has some good sized bump going on when I fish for those fish. The recent weather has brought the fifteen year cycle to southern CA and I really like cruising around in purple water with the sun shining. Last years season of large Yellowtail, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Dorado, Wahoo and Marlin was very welcomed by this angler. I do not know if I can afford another season like last season. I spent around five thousand dollars on fuel, a thousand dollars on bait and a couple of thousand bucks on the variables, not counting repairs and maintenance. If it goes off again this season, good for us all. It will be the last of it in my usable lifetime most likely. Back to chasing chickens. Hard to beat a good Albacore bite especially when they have some size to them.
100_6141.JPG

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Take everything I say with a grain of salt (i am not a scientist), but I have intensely followed albacore for probably close to 20 years. If everyone remembers, 1997 was the first year that the albacore showed back up in any significant numbers. '97 also produced some HUGE fish (90pounder caught by Don Giberson out of Santa Cruz). As we all know...97 is the strongest el nino year on record. From 97 - 2005, we saw reeeealllly sold albie fishing from socal on up through Half Moon Bay. From about 2005 to now, each successive year it seems that the southern edge of the albie biomass has moved north. It's now been 2 years that we haven't had any albacore here in the bay area even though our buoy temps are right where they should be in terms of producing albacore.
Another interesting thing about the buoy temps.... back in the late 90's is when I started religiously checking the buoys starting in May. We would start to see the albacore show up when there was 57degrees, or warmer, blue water. Back then, we wouldn't see 57degree water until usually june/july. It would peak at about 59...MAYBE 61 for a day or two and then drop back down. If I check our local albacore buoy (46042)....it is 57 RIGHT NOW. In fucking February!
The quality of albacore fishing that has been happening in WAY northern CA, oregon and washington, is the same quality of fishing that we saw in the bay area down to mexico 10 years ago. Additionally....it seems that the northern edge of the yellowfin tuna/dorado/wahoo has moved north as well. Who the fuck would have thought that people would catch wahoo out of SD on private boats?

Anywho....just some observations.

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Nothing to see in westport...... carry on

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Nothing to see in westport...... carry on

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Westport is outrageous expensive for their offerings on last summer albie trips. Hit the rock/ling trip instead mid June for $130 a day. They went off after I left in July. They were getting $600 for a 1.5 day and you needed to bring your own food and bedroll. The 10-12 rock fish I caught would have cost a small fortune to do what fish processing in San Diego does on a regular basis. I am somewhat certain someone will jump in to defend the lovely town of Westport and their sportfishing operations, yet the San Diego LR looks cheap in comparison to what you will spend up there if you want to ship your fish home with the one tiny operator, think it's Marios bring a big bankroll.
Vacuum pack them, freeze them, stick them in a waxed cardboard shipping box to 49 lbs. Then take them to the airport. $25 as extra luggage.

Reactions: dragonballs