MVL32361

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2007
CAL
Name
MVL
Boat
None
Sorry for the late post. We hit the launch ramp Sat around 10am headed to Catalina to our secret spot. We spent the afternoon catching some Bonnie's. A few seals showed up, needless to say they don't like paint-ball guns. We made our first drop around 4:30 with our 7 hoop nets. We hooped in 30 to 60 feet of water with fresh frozen Skippy's and Bonnie's for our bait. We soaked them over an hour. By the time we pulled our 5Th net of our first set we had our limits for 3 of us. At that point we were exchanging big ones for little ones with the two nets we had left to pull. Our biggest one was 8lbs with two 6lbs and a few 4lbs. We rapped the gear up and double checked our count and headed home at 7:30. Needless to say that was our best night Hooping. May the lobster gods be with you on your next trip.

Attachments

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
Jun 26, 2004
In the Sticks
Name
Jim Perkins
Boat
Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fish doctor

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 11, 2005
los angeles
Name
jim
Boat
Sea ray signature 200
awesome.
we hooped santa monica on sunday and same thing happened
1.5 hours of work and limits for three.
similar size also.
love when it all works out

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
We hooped in 30 to 60 feet of water with fresh frozen Skippy's and Bonnie's for our bait.
Nice job

BUT

Bonies for bait? ain't that a no~no or a grey zone?

read this somewhere else:

re: Preferred Lobster Bait.

Hey guys, I'd like to add be careful with what and how you use your bait. Talking with the F&G guys while being boarded the other night, they gave me a little tid-bit of info. Not sure really how or why it was directed toward me, but they made it clear that I should make sure they can tell what kind of bait I was using. They said they need to be able to identity it because people were using all kinds of sport caught fish for bait. It seems they were mostly concerned about rockfish. Maybe someone here can elaborate on this but what's the difference as long as you comply with F&G limits?

so that being the case, DFG would not be able to measure and constitute the size and quantity of bonito on board or used.

so why invoke questions?

jus' curious...

tried to do a search here, but...

Bigfish69

Dirty Fisherman
Jun 19, 2006
Lakeside Ranch
Name
JOHN
Boat
Wellcraft V-20, 200 hp etec, 85' Holiday sportfisher
Sorry for the late post. We hit the launch ramp Sat around 10am headed to Catalina to our secret spot. We spent the afternoon catching some Bonnie's. A few seals showed up, needless to say they don't like paint-ball guns. We made our first drop around 4:30 with our 7 hoop nets. We hooped in 30 to 60 feet of water with fresh frozen Skippy's and Bonnie's for our bait. We soaked them over an hour. By the time we pulled our 5Th net of our first set we had our limits for 3 of us. At that point we were exchanging big ones for little ones with the two nets we had left to pull. Our biggest one was 8lbs with two 6lbs and a few 4lbs. We rapped the gear up and double checked our count and headed home at 7:30. Needless to say that was our best night Hooping. May the lobster gods be with you on your next trip.
Damn! thats all that comes to mind looking at those pics. Nice job guys your spot is good. I love the way you staged the bugs with a stage like effect. So what time is dinner?

UnReel

Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Great job on the lobsters guys !!!!!

Looks like Bill is going to be eating good for awhile ;) :D

Last edited:

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Thanks for sharing...you guys staged some good Photos!!! Great Catch!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
You used my sister for bait?

Bonnie, I'll miss you. LOL

Nice work boys, they very dark red. Cool bugs.

I've noticed harbor/mud bugs are orange/red. Lighter.

Reef bugs red/maroon. Darker.

MVL32361

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2007
CAL
Name
MVL
Boat
None
Nice job

BUT

Bonies for bait? ain't that a no~no or a grey zone?

read this somewhere else:

re: Preferred Lobster Bait.

Hey guys, I'd like to add be careful with what and how you use your bait. Talking with the F&G guys while being boarded the other night, they gave me a little tid-bit of info. Not sure really how or why it was directed toward me, but they made it clear that I should make sure they can tell what kind of bait I was using. They said they need to be able to identity it because people were using all kinds of sport caught fish for bait. It seems they were mostly concerned about rockfish. Maybe someone here can elaborate on this but what's the difference as long as you comply with F&G limits?

so that being the case, DFG would not be able to measure and constitute the size and quantity of bonito on board or used.

so why invoke questions?

jus' curious...

tried to do a search here, but...
Thanks for the info. The size of bonies we have been catching and using for bait are 4 to 5 pounds. We chunk the bait up in big pieces and stuff the cages. This way it is easy to determine what is in the cages. We only deck what we need for our bait cages, which is only 2 to 3 bonies per trip. We do al lot of catch and release regarding the bonies. Thanks again.

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
Great job on the bugs. Be careful culling the herd so to speak, a buddy of mine got a ticket for it. I don't see a problem with it, but DFG sure does.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
MVL, great repoty/pics! I can't wait till the day comes that I find my own friggin secret spot! Awesome job...WTG!

awesome.
we hooped santa monica on sunday and same thing happened
1.5 hours of work and limits for three.
similar size also.
love when it all works out
Fishdoctor...really?? Damnit, I got my ass handed to me there Sunday night! Like I said above, I know I gotta find "that" spot and since I've only been out twice I know it'll take a while but it sure is good to hear that there is somthing to be had in that general area.

Incredible

Mar 4, 2006
Norco
Name
Chuck
Boat
Kayak
I have to get to my secret spot early to beat the crowd.:2gunsfiring_v1: