hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
If you cant identify the species you are catching then maybe you should take up a different hobbie, Rules are rules everyone should obey.

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    If you cant identify the species you are catching then maybe you should take up a different hobbie, Rules are rules everyone should obey.

I agree 100%...

The DFG officer took the shark, what more you want him to do? They will investigate and take the best action they deem necessary

Move on now.

Upvote 0

jerr-dog

Jul 13, 2011
    Southbay/ Redondo Beach/ Hermosa Beach
    Name
    Jerr-dog
    Boat
    Cobra Fish N Dive 12' 6"
    Yhea just cause you don't need a license to fish from the pier doesn't exempt you from the laws. You are still responsible to know the rules & regs. Did you see the size of those treble hooks? Man & they kept saying gaff they snagged the thing once it was on the line. Yhea that was no mako. What a bunch of idiots. thats too bad. Can't keep Great White either just how many violations did they commit? Makes me sick to watch this. & that these guys are taking baby threshers several every week. someone ought to go down there & kick somebodys ass! :2gunsfiring_v1:

Upvote 0

Billy V

Seabass Commando
    Aug 26, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    That fish is definitely a GW.

You could expect a DFG Rule change shortly in regards to shark fishing from a Pier. ( or maybe worse)

-Its your responsibility to make a proper identification before harvesting a fish.

It can't be easy to make the ID from 50 ft. above the fish standing on a pier.

-Similar shit happened with those clowns gaffing the Black Seabass and dragging it onto the beach.
    ------------------------------
    Claiming Ignorance as to the species is not a valid defense in court. You are 100% responsible to know the DFG Rules and Regulations before you commence fishing.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    REALLY?!?

"I didnt know" is NO EXCUSE for breaking the law

I hear ya...we can agree to disagree this.

These guys were not out purposely breaking laws. they weren't poaching, hunting with out a license, or violating any other DFG laws. They weren't specifically targeting GW's. You can here them calling it a mako in the video. Its not like they new it was a GW, then chose to gaff it, and drag it onto the pier for pic (with the DFG officer), then "released" back into the water...IMO, sometimes a warning has better results. (but if these guys were/are proven to be habitual offenders, or have even just one F&G violation, then nail them).

Every situation doesn't always have to end in a citation. I took a Sheepshead out of season once. Honest mistake. I didn't get stopped, but i would hope that the DFG officer would cut me some slack.

I find it odd, people are more upset with the anglers, then the DFG officer, (assuming what has been stated is true). I can understand Joe citizen screwing up, but a trained officer, who is paid to protect our wildlife. It boggles my mind.

How about idiots on U-tube, making racist remakes, degrading the guys...do you really think thats the best way to get your point across. F'ing Ridiculous.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I agree 100%...

The DFG officer took the shark, what more you want him to do?
    They will investigate and take the best action they deem necessary.

Move on now.

It took a simple logical short precise response for me to digress into this CF thread.
    Perfect Tim!

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    That fish is definitely a GW.

You could expect a DFG Rule change shortly in regards to shark fishing from a Pier. Hopefully

-Similar shit happened with those clowns gaffing the Black Seabass and dragging it onto the beach.
    ------------------------------
    Claiming Ignorance as to the species is not a valid defense in court. You are 100% responsible to know the DFG Rules and Regulations before you commence fishing.

The idiot who landed that BSB new what he had, and made a huge effort to land that fish, even after he was able to ID it, with in time to do reasonable attempt at successfully releasing it. He drug it up on the beach, and posed with...and it had multiple gaffs in. Not quite the same.

I undertand the rules. Ignorance is not a defense...but every LEO has with in his power (in some situation, not all) weather to arrest or just worn, before it makes it to the courts. JMO

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    It took a simple logical short precise response for me to digress into this CF thread.
    Perfect Tim!

John, you have never been one to shy away from a cluster fuck LOL :D

Upvote 0

sam1963

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Sam Murphy
    Boat
    12.5' Fish N Dive
    The GW I could care less about ( they bite and kill us occasionally) but 3 threshers in a trash bag and one about to join them makes me sick.
    :finger:ing pigs.

Upvote 0

barracho

Easy man, I have a beverage here!
    May 14, 2011
    S. OC
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Learned my lesson. Wanna take me fishing?
    Does anyone know if the offender was citied for his catch? He should be, afterall, ingnorance is no excuse. But at the same time it is up to the officers discretion whether or not to write a citation. He did have to call a biologist so may be he didn't. Either way people who don't what's on the end of their line shouldn't be fishing anywhere other than on a moo-moo boat were there is a person that knows what the fuck they're doin(most deckys do anyway)standin next to em.

Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
    so cal
    www.socalfishingdynamics.com
    Name
    will
    Boat
    Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
    Banning fishing on piers isn't the answer. Gw is not only accidentally caught on piers but boats as well. Does that mean we should ban all fishing along our coast since more and more gw are showing up? You might as well support the MLPA in trying to close all our fishing along our coast.
    I'm sure most of us fished piers as children which has helped aid our current addiction. And yet we are not out there killing everything that swims. Could it be that the proper education on fishing we learned from our parents, uncles or friends actually helped us become better fisherman and conservationists?
    Banning is not the answer. If we could educate more people I'm sure less incidents like this would occur.
    We shouldn't focus on only educating the fisherman. We need to also educate the visitors and non anglers on the pier so when they see something like this occurring they can speak up and educate the others around them.
    That pier gets a lot of visitors. If the 30 some other people next to them knew that killing that shark was illegal you don't think one of them would say something?
    Maybe they should post notices with photos of endangered fish on the pier
    along with dfg contact info. Then we should give people rewards for catching these uneducated anglers on video that leads to the anglers arrest.
    Pretty much everyone has a cell with video recording capabilities.

Upvote 0

Surf2Dirt

Almost A Member
    Mar 24, 2007
    SoCal
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    9' Avon
    I'm not a fan of sharks or rays getting caught at all let alone from a stinking pier. I'm down in San Clemente and it sickens me to see a shark or ray flopping around dying on the wood planks. As a matter fact, it embarrases me to be a fisherman. Don't let me go into detail about the typical pervert leering homeless that double as fisherman along most piers and jetties. I guess in HB it's the vatos doubling as fisherman. Regardless, these types of individuals and their actions give ALL responsible fisherman a bad name.

I for one would not mind making it illegal to target sharks and rays from piers. Definitely, all pier gaffs should be outlawed...

Upvote 0

HOOKEDitsDEEP

Aug 28, 2011
    Polson, MONTANA & Tustin, CALIFORNIA U.S.A.
    Name
    MICHAEL ANTHONY CASTILLO
    Boat
    HOOKED TBA
    "AS in the person who UPLOADED/TOOK this YOU TUBE VIDEO ITs a FREE COUNTRY and GOD only knows why/what his reasons are behind 'IT"...WITH REGARDS to ALL THESE RUDE-THREATING-RACIST COMMENTS so on, I say this..your BARKING UP the WRONG TREE. AS in what TOOK PLACE that morning ON THAT PIER, WHO would of ever DREAMED of HOOKING A GREAT WHITE.. IT's one FISHING STORY THAT can/will have many more PEOPLE HOOKED FOR YEARS TO COME. THIS is NOW a very SYMBOLIC-'?WHITE?SHARK?' that has indeed made a +DIFFERENCE already and has schooled US ALL, including some GOOD MEN/WOMAN from FISH & GAME. ITs as clear as glass NOW that HUNTIGTON BEACH does have WHITE SHARKS cruising around..so let that be known. TAKE CARE and realize that the TRUTH to EVERY STORY LIES SOULY with the MAIN CHARACTER HIMSELF...so I ask you to PLEASE NOT ASSUME YOU know WHAT IT FEELS LIKE to have ALL THIS on the END OF YOUR LINE. " Michael-CREATOR

Upvote 0

theedanimal

Mar 5, 2008
    Tustin Ranch, CA
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    N/A
    "AS in the person who UPLOADED/TOOK this YOU TUBE VIDEO ITs a FREE COUNTRY and GOD only knows why/what his reasons are behind 'IT"...WITH REGARDS to ALL THESE RUDE-THREATING-RACIST COMMENTS so on, I say this..your BARKING UP the WRONG TREE. AS in what TOOK PLACE that morning ON THAT PIER, WHO would of ever DREAMED of HOOKING A GREAT WHITE.. IT's one FISHING STORY THAT can/will have many more PEOPLE HOOKED FOR YEARS TO COME. THIS is NOW a very SYMBOLIC-'?WHITE?SHARK?' that has indeed made a +DIFFERENCE already and has schooled US ALL, including some GOOD MEN/WOMAN from FISH & GAME. ITs as clear as glass NOW that HUNTIGTON BEACH does have WHITE SHARKS cruising around..so let that be known. TAKE CARE and realize that the TRUTH to EVERY STORY LIES SOULY with the MAIN CHARACTER HIMSELF...so I ask you to PLEASE NOT ASSUME YOU know WHAT IT FEELS LIKE to have ALL THIS on the END OF YOUR LINE. " Michael-CREATOR

What?

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.