mikeyairtime

Fish Magnet
Apr 14, 2007
Lomita, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
"Julia J" & "Berzerker"
MAKOS ARE BLUE, DUH. Such an obvious white shark there is no debate. Black tips on the underside of the pectoral fins are obvious give away but the color and where it came from and the fact that it so plainly a white. They hook them on the Santa Monica Bay piers all the time.That DFG guy is a stooge. And these are the guys who are IDing rockfish and writing tickets, scary.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-09-11/local/me-67_1_great-white-shark

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
When DFG officer left to get help with ID,, Fisherman Bailed with Shark and all, Great White was later CONFISCATED by DFG at New Port Pier when someone called that there was a Great white on the PIER.

Hopefully there will be some job opennings with Fish & Game, you really can't blame the angler, maybe it should be illegal to keep any shark caught from a pier.

Upvote 0

ecole51

Apr 28, 2008
huntington beach
Name
eric
Boat
none
This just really sucks. 99+% of casual sportfishermen like us spend hundreds and thousands of dollars a year to do this stuff the right way...not to mention pay CA and federal income tax to pay for public parks, piers, etc...and these losers get to benefit (illegally) from it. Fuck, I don't even know to express how sick those two videos make me.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
As great white sharks mature their teeth become broader (a larger triangular base) as they change from eating mostly fish and invertebrates to focusing on mammals such as sea lions. When young the gws teeth may look more like a mako's before this change occurs. The mako keeps its' more slender teeth throughout its' life because they feed primarily on fish and don't need to rip through heavy mammal flesh to tear off chunks.

That has led to some identification problems as illustrated here.

Tony Peña
"The Roving Angler".

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
This just really sucks. 99+% of casual sportfishermen like us spend hundreds and thousands of dollars a year to do this stuff the right way...not to mention pay CA and federal income tax to pay for public parks, piers, etc...and these losers get to benefit (illegally) from it. Fuck, I don't even know to express how sick those two videos make me.

Outlaw shark fishing from piers, the "angler" did think it was a mako really can't blame him (though yes the whole video is like a monkey fucking a football), the DFG should be canned, and hopefully they have the opportunity to veiw the comments on this site!!!!!!!!!

I need a price on a straight load of red seedless.

Upvote 0

ecole51

Apr 28, 2008
huntington beach
Name
eric
Boat
none
Outlaw shark fishing from piers, the "angler" did think it was a mako really can't blame him (though yes the whole video is like a monkey fucking a football), the DFG should be canned, and hopefully they have the opportunity to veiw the comments on this site!!!!!!!!!

I need a price on a straight load of red seedless.

$14.10 :)

Upvote 0

StoneAle

Mar 19, 2010
Orange County, Ca.
Name
Stoneale
Boat
Salty Hobie Kayak
Anyone here work for the media? or know someone who does? A story should be written about this incident on the LA Times and also the OC Register.

Anyway.. check out the video below (I dont think it has been posted yet, sorry if it has). This was in 1992.. im guessing right before they were put on the protected list. Either way.. crazy stuff..<object height="345" width="420">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_dyPRh1W0is?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="345" width="420"></object>

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I think a bunch here may be blowing this whole thing outta proportion a bit. Yeah it definitely sucks that a Juvi GW was killed. But by the same token, I dont think it's the end of the world, and I don't think the GW population is in any grave danger now.

The pier video has alot of stink in it for me, and even though I somewhat agree with Spike in that the guy appears to have thought he had a Mako, I dunno man, but can there really be that many people on a pier that truly cant tell the difference between a Mako & a GW?? I guess there probably can huh.

I know one thing..... I probably would have been rat packed if I had been on that pier, cause I would have been yanking or cutting those pier gaffs right out of the hands of a bunch of those guys LOL. I probably would have got jumped, cause I could not just hang there and watch that ugly mess take place.

If this many people who fish on piers dont know the difference of many fish, then the DFG needs to put aside some of the money from our license fees, and have ID signs on the piers to inform people of the legal size of fish as well as some species identification.

What happened here sucks, but I don't think there has been nor will be a huge rash of this taking place, and I don't think it will have much of an impact on the GW stocks at all. The more disturbing thing to me is the baby ts taken off the pier or by boaters for that matter.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
Escondido
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can fish from
Fucking DEPRESSING!
....now these guys make fishermen look like dumb retards.
There were many opportunities to correctly ID the shark,BUT one needs to know what they are looking at.
AAAANNNNNDDDDDD, that shark clearly had the classic GW teeth on the top jaws. Still triangular even at the newborn stage.
If this is the guy that has been also killing t-shark pups, then he deserves all that comes to him. Karma is a bitch!
A little conservation goes a long way.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Thing was dead after the first gaff. No releasing it then.

Attachments

• baby_GW_II.JPG
      baby_GW_II.JPG
      34.3 KB · Views: 880
    Upvote 0

ecole51

Apr 28, 2008
    huntington beach
    Name
    eric
    Boat
    none
    I think a bunch here may be blowing this whole thing outta proportion a bit. Yeah it definitely sucks that a Juvi GW was killed. But by the same token, I dont think it's the end of the world, and I don't think the GW population is in any grave danger now.

The pier video has alot of stink in it for me, and even though I somewhat agree with Spike in that the guy appears to have thought he had a Mako, I dunno man, but can there really be that many people on a pier that truly cant tell the difference between a Mako & a GW?? I guess there probably can huh.

I know one thing..... I probably would have been rat packed if I had been on that pier, cause I would have been yanking or cutting those pier gaffs right out of the hands of a bunch of those guys LOL. I probably would have got jumped, cause I could not just hang there and watch that ugly mess take place.

If this many people who fish on piers dont know the difference of many fish, then the DFG needs to put aside some of the money from our license fees, and have ID signs on the piers to inform people of the legal size of fish as well as some species identification.

What happened here sucks, but I don't think there has been nor will be a huge rash of this taking place, and I don't think it will have much of an impact on the GW stocks at all. The more disturbing thing to me is the baby ts taken off the pier or by boaters for that matter.

I completely agree with you. The fact that this was a GW is secondary to the fact that these guys are harvesting juvenile sharks with no regard, no license, and no respect to the resource. Whether they are mako, thresher or GW who cares?

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
    HB
    Name
    Mika Tan
    Boat
    "MoorZilla"
    I just eat the fins.
    Everything else tastes like shit.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
    Sep 14, 2009
    Socal
    Name
    Debi
    Boat
    Wellcraft Coastal
    can you imagine whats taking place on the piers that no one knows about? the videos just represent a small portion of the crap going on...most of the people on the piers fishing probably have no clue how to ID a fish..and how can they in the dark? and from the distance from the pier to the water?...the piers have many MANY people fishing on them all night long..who knows what kind of stupidity happens when the ignorant unite..not saying all people that fish the piers are like that..but living close to a pier myself, we have taken many walks on it both day and night, can't tell you how many times we have seen short lobsters taken out of season, pup sharks, undersized halibut being slung up from the water and slammed on the pier...we called the DFG many times..they just can't arrive there in seconds...it's too late then...I think making people get a fishing license to fish any pier or jetty would be a start..make them financially responsible or outlawing any fishing from any pier..those pup sharks probably come to the pier for easy food pickings and safety under the shelter, only to be picked off easily by the selfish and clueless..

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Just to be fair, I have had my share of bad choices and stupidness in fishing. Alot of things have changed with fishing now, and as you grow as a fisherman, hopefully many start to grow and mature on what's cool and not cool.

Still alot of stank in those videos though :eek:

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat
    Kathleen
    Maybe a 20 question test(for starters) as part of the application process for a fishing license on local species and size limits? Just like a driving test. If this really is an important subject to ALL then it should be treated that way. That might weed out the ones that dont care. There is gun safety training, right? Why not........What the fuck do I know anyways?

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    what bothers me is the DGF officer posing with the guy for a pic. I don't understand this. The "story" is he went to get his ID book. Fine, but IMO, he should have been able to ID that shark off the get go. The loss of the shark, IMO is minimal. Its the "apparent" lack of knowledge by the officer. I did say "apparent". (Jason and Tony have valid points....)

The brutality of the kill in the video is hard to watch, but in reality, it is no different then clubbing or popping a gill on a tuna. It just looks worse when you drag a fish down a pier, in front of people who have no clue or already have a negative impression of about fishing.

The Baby T video was also hard to watch, but until the law is changed, not much can be done. Slot limits and change the take to one per day, instead of two per day, per angler. Or boat limits? The subject has been argued up down, forward and backward.

There was no releasing this shark, as it was dead...thats the risks of fishing from piers. As Spike suggested, maybe it should be illegal to target sharks from piers. That being said, i guarantee you, there are far more baby t's being taken from boats, then there are on piers. It just looks worse on a pier, because of the drama it creates.

I do hope the DFG replies to my e-mail, because i would like to understand what the DFG officer was doing, or at least hear his side of the story.

I also don't think these "anglers" should be sighted. They thought it was a Mako. We may not like they way they acted on the pier, but in reality, it was honest mistake. Sighting these guys for taking a protected species may be an option, but I think educating them would go a lot further.

JMO.

Upvote 0

Makua

Almost A Member
    Sep 26, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    2700 Tiara Pursuit
    IMO, if you have the resources and ability to figure out what knots, baits, terminal set up, then you definitely have the ability to be socially responsible on what you catch and keep or release. I mean, if you were able to buy a gun and go hunting and have the ability to track down and shoot and animal, don't you have to be responsible for what you shoot? Fishing is no different. If a cowcod is illegal and you bring one up from the depths, it dies...you still can't keep it. I don't like it, but that's the law and we have a good fishery here because we've kept things under control. Look at Asia and other areas where people are not as responsible for their actions to the environment due to negligence. All I am saying is that these people have to be responsible for their actions. Not too much to ask for...should be a prerequisite to identify your fish before you stick a gaff into it if you are to fish, PERIOD.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
    Sep 14, 2009
    Socal
    Name
    Debi
    Boat
    Wellcraft Coastal
    Don't think there will be a big stink about it like there was with that Black Sea Bass incident, can you imagine the chaos it would cause letting it out to the public that a Great white shark was caught off the H.B. pier...probably a "lets not hurt the tourism" issue..

BTW whoever the Bloodydecker is who owns the "MrsFigueroa82605" handle on the youtube account...thumbs up LOL

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
    BD Writer
    Jun 1, 2006
    Valley Center, CA
    www.rovingangler.com
    Name
    Tony Pena
    Boat
    n/a
    Debi has a valid observation: There seems to be a different "culture" on public piers leading to illegal or unethical take of wildlife in general. Education, experience, language and fishing for the daily meal may all contribute to the problem. I was at the end of Oceanside pier two weeks ago for a walk and someone was working on a 15 lb. class shovelnose guitarfish being positioned for a pier-gaff shot. Lots of people were getting excited over the "halibut". I mentioned what it was and yes, they are edible (I've dined on the white meat backstraps before) if you really want to. Basically, I think that pier anglers catch a lot of small fish such as mackerel, tomcod (white croaker), perch and queenfish so that anytime a fish over 10 lbs. or so comes along that is a trophy to be killed and celebrated regardless of the species. Now, some pier anglers are experienced and protect the resource but they may be in the minority.
    A DFG officer could probably write a quota of citations just patrolling the piers but AFTER the catch is dead. We need to find a way to educate and put some "pier pressure" on the violators. Maybe a volunteer group to converse and show fish photo i.d.'s in a friendly manner?

Tony Peña
    "The Roving Angler"

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.