Offshore OG Overnight 7/12 Report

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    Big surprise...another bft report! I was lucky to get out there in calm seas on uncrowded boat and with nice group of passengers. We stayed in US waters and were within visual of the shore whole trip. Fish seemed to be everywhere. No biters for us in the dark. We scratched away all day with most schools not biting. Those that did bite were 20-25 lb range, and we got 1-3 fish per stop. Later afternoon found better school of 60-70 lb fish willing to play and we got several more. Seemed like half of the fish were caught on flyline and other half on sinker rigs. Had to just stick with it and wait for your shot kind of day. What worked for me was flylined baits on 30 and 40 lb flouro to size 4 Mutu. What an amazing year so far!
    IMG_5973.jpg
    IMG_5969.jpg
    IMG_5968.jpg
    IMG_5970.jpg
    IMG_5974.jpg

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Were you fly lining anchovies? Pretty small hook for such giants. Amazing it held up! Congrats!

D
    Dbado1
    Just spoke with a guy that came back from a 3 day on Saturday and he said that they used 30/40# leaders with #4 circles as well. Same grade of BFT.
    Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    Were you fly lining anchovies? Pretty small hook for such giants. Amazing it held up! Congrats!
    that size Mutu seems to hold up to 13lb drag w/o bending. so they are fine for 40# in my book. my hook got swallowed twice on smaller fish but 30 lb leader held up. luckily, a quick hook set in corner of mouth on the bigger fish. landed in 10-15 min on 40lb so no issues.

Reactions: clevel and Abusaade
    Upvote 0