Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Sucks about the bait, but obviously the sniper was getting it done, so oh well. Great story, loved the report, keep em coming!!

Side note, how did you retrieve the sniper? jigging motion? slow reeling? etc

Cast at the foamer, retrieve back quickly like a surface iron. No need to sink it. Popper also worked, but sniper was legit.

Upvote 0

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    I run a Lexa 400 (similar reel) on a Okuma Shadow Stalker 801XH 20-40lb. Works super well on tuna up to that size. $120 bucks with a lifetime warranty. I have several of their more expensive rods and I honestly can't feel much if any difference.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I run a Lexa 400 (similar reel) on a Okuma Shadow Stalker 801XH 20-40lb. Works super well on tuna up to that size. $120 bucks with a lifetime warranty. I have several of their more expensive rods and I honestly can't feel much if any difference.

Thanks! Have you actually fought and landed fish of similar size with that setup? I really got my ass handed to me and wanted something with more backbone. I like the specs especially since the rod power is Extra Heavy.

Upvote 0

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    Thanks! Have you actually fought and landed fish of similar size with that setup? I really got my ass handed to me and wanted something with more backbone. I like the specs especially since the rod power is Extra Heavy.

Probably more like 25lb so smaller than the biggest one you mentioned. Didn't seem to be at it's limit though.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    my bent sniper is the only one that gets bit