Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Towed the rig down to SD and launched out of Dana Landing.

Bought a full scoop of bait and gave them a $15 tip. Guy gave us 4 passes (doesn't that seen really low?). I normally get 4 passes for half a scoop in Dana Point. I didn't notice the 4 passes until we were outside the jetty and asked my passengers. That's because when I looked at my bait tank, my first reaction was "Where's the rest of the bait?"

Bait tank ran great though. Zero dead bait all day.

Plan was to run to the 43 and a little bit west, then south east to the 302 and 226. Swell was CHOPPY and had to bump from high to low gear all day. Water ranged from 67 to 71 degrees (mostly high 60s).

Saw only a couple paddies on the way out. All holding bait and a couple marks (probably home guard yellowtail). Couldn't get them to go.

At the 43, not much sign of life. Found some paddies that had decent marks and LOTS of bait. Again, couldn't get them to go.

Ran south towards the East Butterfly and halfway there, we saw birds. Then, we saw a cute, little foamer. Went up to it and they wouldn't bite.

Was only one other boat in the area. A Parker who was nice enough to tell us he caught several on a small popper. We didn't have small poppers onboard. I also left my popping setup at home. Eff.

We run and gun chasing puddles of feeding fish and birds for the next few HOURS in the same area. They wouldn't bite a DAMN THING. Laughed at us all day. Some were as close as 15 yards. We didn't have a spear gun either. Swear we plunked them on the heads. One guy hooks up and loses the fish quickly (bit off or knot slips).

Swell was choppy again so I actually puke my guts out. I tell the crew we have one hour left on the water and we leave at 4pm. Chase some more foamers and I have no heart left. Crew is still hyped but tired and dehydrated. We get close a few more times and my bud throws a huge psychedelic looking popper and I throw a 35 gram Colt Sniper (we figured they were on microbait the whole time).

DOUBLE HOOKUP!!! We're all screaming like lunatics!

My bud loses his fish (pulled too hard on his end). I'm running a Komodo 463 with a Phenix M1 Inshore 8'2". I know I have to finesse the fish because I don't have the right rod for whatever's on the end PLUS I'm using cheap Korean clips for quick lure switch outs.

I fight this thing for 15 minutes (all recorded on video) and I'm pretty sure my wrists are going to snap. We get two gaff attempts but miss. I'm cussing in my head. Crew pumped me up the whole time as they knew we needed this to salvage the trip.

Got color several times but damn thing didn't want to die. Run run run. Color again. It's close. Another crank. Another crank. Walk backwards.

GAFFED!!!

Everyone's yelling on the boat!

That first catch opened the damn thing.

We run and gun again and hookup several times. Went 4 for 9 on the boat. We stayed much later because one crew member had hooked 3 fish but lost all of them. Last one snapped his BRAID, and not at the knot.

We end up leaving close to 6pm and we're over 40 miles from dock. Swell is thankfully behind us but I still have to be careful not to bury the bow.

Passed the San Diego on the way back (wonder how they did?)

Smiles all over the boat. Damn tired. Dropped off fish at friend's house (I owe him and his mom fish).

Back at home and finished washing the boat just before midnight.

My fish was 34 lbs after bleeding. It was jackpot for the day.

My Colt Sniper was reused by the crew as it was one of the only things consistently bit. It's bent now like a spoon LOL. Gonna need to switch out my rod for something else on the Komodo.

What a day. 68301.jpegIMG_20200707_200541.jpg

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    I have one of Phenix M1's that I stopped using. I bought to use with a Komodo. Early on I realized I had made a mistake with the rod selection. The length of the butt section below the reel seat is just too short to fish with a Komodo. Also the tip action is stiff but is not suitable for larger fish.
    I found a Okuma Guide select heavy swimbait rod I like a lot more than the Phenix. Little bit longer butt section and way more stroke for the bigger model fish. One of the things I have found with the Komodos is the drag is so good that you can fish them very successfully by pointing the rod tip right at the fish. Japanese style if you will. Just tuck the rod butt into your armpit and let the reel do most of the work. Much easier on the wrists during a long fight.
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I have one of Phenix M1's that I stopped using. I bought to use with a Komodo. Early on I realized I had made a mistake with the rod selection. The length of the butt section below the reel seat is just too short to fish with a Komodo. Also the tip action is stiff but is not suitable for larger fish.
    I found a Okuma Guide select heavy swimbait rod I like a lot more than the Phenix. Little bit longer butt section and way more stroke for the bigger model fish. One of the things I have found with the Komodos is the drag is so good that you can fish them very successfully by pointing the rod tip right at the fish. Japanese style if you will. Just tuck the rod butt into your armpit and let the reel do most of the work. Much easier on the wrists during a long fight.
    Jeff

Thanks! I'll check out the rod. The reel was great, as you know. The rod was too parabolic for the fight I had on my hands.

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
    Mar 14, 2004
    Murrieta Ca
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Pursuit 2870 WA
    Great job sticking it out and getting it done . Nice fat grade of fish too.
    Guess the size of the bait and the guy on the net has a lot to do with how many passes we get . I usually say that they know how much to put in a tank since they do it daily.
    I only get bait from MB and I always tip good and offer a drink or something. $15 is a nice fat tip.
    Never ran out of bait , but I sometimes feel shorted too.
    Anyway , thanks for posting up a great encouraging report !

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    did you give the bait guy tip before or after ? I usually do it before.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I guess I'm spoiled in my home harbor. A full scoop for me is about six passes.
    Our bait quantities per scoop can vary a lot.What day of the week,how many boats in line,even time of day or who scoops it.I've had to tell them to stop or ask for another net or two as i wave another $5 at them.

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Sucks about the bait, but obviously the sniper was getting it done, so oh well. Great story, loved the report, keep em coming!!

Side note, how did you retrieve the sniper? jigging motion? slow reeling? etc

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Great job sticking it out and getting it done . Nice fat grade of fish too.
    Guess the size of the bait and the guy on the net has a lot to do with how many passes we get . I usually say that they know how much to put in a tank since they do it daily.
    I only get bait from MB and I always tip good and offer a drink or something. $15 is a nice fat tip.
    Never ran out of bait , but I sometimes feel shorted too.
    Anyway , thanks for posting up a great encouraging report !
    the good thing is the bait was healthy and you did not run out..
    sometimes you get more scoops when the scoops are light then when the scoops are full...
    and your tip was generous....
    Glad you bagged some fish....

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Latest posts