NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Been putting in the time offshore recently. Four trips in the last 7 days were for offshore waters. I launch out of Newport and have spent a bit of time at the 14, 267, 277, 181/182, 289, and 209.

The good news is dorado are here and in volume. We have caught them on all four of our trips.

The yellowtail are usually with them as well but most seem not interested in bait. We are catching some though.

Yellowfin have been M.I.A on all four trips. I have worked a lot of dolphin for them. A few pods each day. Bait and trolled jigs. Haven't landed one. Bullet Tuna are thick on the 289. Keyed in on chovy but they will fall for the smaller size waxwing.

The 267 was LOADED with paddys today. We swung by there on the way back from the 181 as I wanted to avoid the weekend crowds at the 267 this AM. Stopped on a couple but water was green and we had our fill so kept moving home. Also, 8 boats on the bank confirmed why I don't fish the "local" banks on weekends.

Best volume of dorado is by far 289/182/181. 209 has been slow for me. 267 is OK. 277 to Slide has been slow but they are there. 14 has been slow.

If the dorado don't bite, shoot them. They are so curious it makes them easy to shoot and an awesome experience when you wind up in the middle of a school of 20 of them.
If they do bite then stop biting, drive off the paddy and eat some lunch, drive back to the paddy and welcome back to the bite.
Light line is the dope but not reality for me. If dodo want to bite you can throw a telephone wire with a gaff hook on the end and it will get bit. Saw zero difference in bites with different test and hook size.
Have at least as many rods/reels as you are fishing with ready to be swapped out when the bite/carnage turns on as that bite is not going to last long and re rigging is not want you want to do when they want to bite.
Dorado have been caught on sardine, troll, and gun. They will eat sardine just fine and the troll was up to a paddy with jumping fish (chasing flying fish).

Hope this helps! Hopefully the YFT show up in volume here soon to complement the dorado bite. Until then, get on the water, BE NICE, GOOD ETIQUETTE, and get bit!

abc.jpg abc2.jpg abc3.jpg abc4.jpg abc5.jpg abc6.jpg

Superfecta

Superfecta
Oct 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Name
Matt
Boat
33 Grady White, Papa Says
Been putting in the time offshore recently. Four trips in the last 7 days were for offshore waters. I launch out of Newport and have spent a bit of time at the 14, 267, 277, 181/182, 289, and 209.

The good news is dorado are here and in volume. We have caught them on all four of our trips.

The yellowtail are usually with them as well but most seem not interested in bait. We are catching some though.

Yellowfin have been M.I.A on all four trips. I have worked a lot of dolphin for them. A few pods each day. Bait and trolled jigs. Haven't landed one. Bullet Tuna are thick on the 289. Keyed in on chovy but they will fall for the smaller size waxwing.

The 267 was LOADED with paddys today. We swung by there on the way back from the 181 as I wanted to avoid the weekend crowds at the 267 this AM. Stopped on a couple but water was green and we had our fill so kept moving home. Also, 8 boats on the bank confirmed why I don't fish the "local" banks on weekends.

Best volume of dorado is by far 289/182/181. 209 has been slow for me. 267 is OK. 277 to Slide has been slow but they are there. 14 has been slow.

If the dorado don't bite, shoot them. They are so curious it makes them easy to shoot and an awesome experience when you wind up in the middle of a school of 20 of them.
If they do bite then stop biting, drive off the paddy and eat some lunch, drive back to the paddy and welcome back to the bite.
Light line is the dope but not reality for me. If dodo want to bite you can throw a telephone wire with a gaff hook on the end and it will get bit. Saw zero difference in bites with different test and hook size.
Have at least as many rods/reels as you are fishing with ready to be swapped out when the bite/carnage turns on as that bite is not going to last long and re rigging is not want you want to do when they want to bite.
Dorado have been caught on sardine, troll, and gun. They will eat sardine just fine and the troll was up to a paddy with jumping fish (chasing flying fish).

Hope this helps! Hopefully the YFT show up in volume here soon to complement the dorado bite. Until then, get on the water, BE NICE, GOOD ETIQUETTE, and get bit!

View attachment 955835 View attachment 955836 View attachment 955837 View attachment 955838 View attachment 955839 View attachment 955840
That was a great report. We have caught some off the Avalon bank, but really appreciate the insights.

Reactions: NewportMatt

REELCLOSE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ron
Boat
25' Reinell
Heading out in the mprning. Thanks for solid report.

Woodeneye

May 23, 2007
North Orange County
Name
Chris
Boat
Striper 2300
Thanks for sharing.

Big Skin

Oct 29, 2006
La Mesa
www.fishsniffer.com
Name
Rick
Boat
Grady White Tournament 24 "Get Bent"
Thanks for the dope, Mate

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Awesome report, I was hoping the 277 area would be biting soon, guess you don't know if you don't go!

Reactions: NewportMatt

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Now that's an informative report, thanks Matt!!!

On a side note... The guy on the left in the first pic looks like @Hardcor o_O lol

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
Hell of a report. Thank you! Congrats on all the fish too!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Good job. Excellent report. The YFT are still pushing north.

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
Great report! Appreciate you sharing the info.

Sushiboy

Jan 1, 2007
Redlands
Name
Travis
Boat
21' Wellcraft CC
Thanks for the info heading out tomorrow at a Dana Point probably be line 267 to the 181 and who knows from there 20 foot Wellcraft CC names Travis

TunaChaser20

Captain
Jan 13, 2013
Santee ca
Name
Albert P
Boat
Lil Amber
Great report!!.... that was awesome of you to share your #’s... not a lot of guys are willing to share. True class act.