Offshore Simrad NSS 12 Settings Help

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat Name
37' Strike Walk Around
Thanks for opening and sharing your knowledge. My system is a NSS12 Simrad with 2 thru hull transducers Airmar B175L and B175H through a Simrad BSM2Module with CHIRP.

Seeking help for offshore settings in our local waters off So Cal

I set a custom depth from 10' - 250', a blue palette, Auto Gain A+2 or so on 50HZ ducer setting and I don't get the returns I see on many screen shots posted here and on BD and many times a portion on screen is black.

I have not sat at the helm while we are in a bite (yes I know I should) to try different frequencies, settings etc. Tomorrow I may do so but ask for your comments on settings for this environment.

Thanks

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat Name
Homeless
First get the update released by Simrad on July 30, 2015. Also update the BSM firmware. This fixes a lot of bugs including the temperature issue. Then while in DEEP water set it to something like this. Scroll speed 4, TVG 1, color line start at 30 and slowly go up until blue fuz shows up, then back off. Ping speed max. Range set to manual 0-600. Then zoom in a little so you only see the top 300 or 250 feet. This keeps the unit from trying to find bottom when your in 2000' of water. And besides your not interested in anything much deeper anyways. Also, get out of auto gain and start aroun 60, play with the gain if that false bottom shows up. You can also play with ping speed if the false bottom shows up. That's about all I can say, should help for now. Remember that if you get into some fish off shore, try to pull yourself away and play with the settings when they are under your boat. Also,Tuna show best at around 60-80 kHz. So low chirp should give you a better picture and low chirp has the wider beam on your system and will cover a larger area below the boat so you see more. Good luck, post your results when you test this out or PM me.

Reactions: oceanjake
Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat Name
37' Strike Walk Around
Thanks Mario,

Most recent software update on Simrad site is July 2014 and BSM August 2014 I'll troll the web for more recent. Yes will test and report back, taking a week or 2 hiatus and doing a few repairs, chat soon

Upvote 0

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Santa Barbara, California
Name
Nick
Boat Name
"EL TIBURON" - 25' Anderson
First get the update released by Simrad on July 30, 2015. Also update the BSM firmware. This fixes a lot of bugs including the temperature issue. Then while in DEEP water set it to something like this. Scroll speed 4, TVG 1, color line start at 30 and slowly go up until blue fuz shows up, then back off. Ping speed max. Range set to manual 0-600. Then zoom in a little so you only see the top 300 or 250 feet. This keeps the unit from trying to find bottom when your in 2000' of water. And besides your not interested in anything much deeper anyways. Also, get out of auto gain and start aroun 60, play with the gain if that false bottom shows up. You can also play with ping speed if the false bottom shows up. That's about all I can say, should help for now. Remember that if you get into some fish off shore, try to pull yourself away and play with the settings when they are under your boat. Also,Tuna show best at around 60-80 kHz. So low chirp should give you a better picture and low chirp has the wider beam on your system and will cover a larger area below the boat so you see more. Good luck, post your results when you test this out or PM me.

TsTime, if you can, post the results! I think a lot of guys are struggling with their new Chirp sonar and it would be great to see your results with these recommended settings.

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat Name
Homeless
Thanks Mario,

Most recent software update on Simrad site is July 2014 and BSM August 2014 I'll troll the web for more recent. Yes will test and report back, taking a week or 2 hiatus and doing a few repairs, chat soon

Check again bro. The BSM 3 does not have an update, only the BSM 2. But the NSS ALL have updates. Here is the link. I Just double checked.
NSS evo2 Software Update

RELEASE DATE: 30th July 2015

Recommended for the entire range of Simrad NSS evo2 chartplotter/multifunction displays, including the 7, 9, 12, and 16-inch NSS evo2 products.

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Support/Downloads/NSS-evo-2/

Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat Name
37' Strike Walk Around
Thanks Mario, system is not evo2 but found the most recent for NSS and BSM 2 should be able to update later today and may have to test on Monday if all works out. Yes I will post all results.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
Mario gave great advice. His best advice is to slow down when there are fish. Take a few minutes to study the returns and make some adjustments. The three or four fish you dont catch during that time will turn in to many many more fish that you would have missed down the line.

You will find a difference in trolling vs drifting. You can speed and slow down scroll speed to accomidate.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat Name
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Or get a 13 year old furuno that works every day with no updates or bullshit! And sees tuna!!!

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
Old Tone Pulse systems like the quality Furuno units are still going to spot tuna in open water. Especially big ones. The real strength of CHIRP is target discrimination. Being able to pick out that one fish in the bait ball, or seeing that big flatty an 1" off the bottom. Not to mention the ability to select a certain frequency and not be stuck with 50 or 200. Also with the low frequency, seeing down to 2000 feet and targeting fish.

Add to that the addition of sidescan and being able to look out to the sides of the boat. It just has more options. I am a proponent of CHIRP. But I am not saying it is better in all circumstances. In some yes, and it can do others that tone pulse cant.

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat Name
Homeless
I AM 99% SURE THIS WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM:

I have the Nss 9. after playing with it some more and talking to Simrads Guru Steve.

STEP ONE: On the Sonar Echo page go to menu - then you will see a option called "VIEW" click on it and you will see an option called "SPLIT" in that menu make sure you do NOT select "BOTTOM LOCK". On my NSS9 I set it to "SPLIT"

STEP TWO: Also under "VIEW" you will see an option called "PALLETE" that allows you to set your color pallete. Click on it and you will see a small box at the bottom that says "BOTTOM COL", make sure that box is UNCHECKED. Because when it is on and your in deep water any thermocline or fish marks will be interpreted as the bottom and your screens bottom half will black out.

I was able to replicate your problem and fix it on my unit just by toggling on and off those settings I just shared with you.

Let me know how that works for you?

Upvote 0