Al B.Fishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
Albacore returning would be just what the big 3 in San Diego needs for economic rebound. Albacore bring a good number of people to all the boats daily. It is silly to think that if the Albacore move in the BFT of any size move out, they are all here to eat. Albacore have a water column and temperature preference but BFT can tolerate a lot of conditions if the food in there. People are funny as the last run of Albacore in San Diego had a time frame during the bite where the fish averaged between 25 to 40 lbs and biting nails and yet people started posting how they cant wait for the yellowfin to move. Nothing more exciting to get on that 1st school of Yelllowfin off of a patty after looking 1/2 the day and they average 6-12lbs and are 5 months old

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Albacore returning would be just what the big 3 in San Diego needs for economic rebound. Albacore bring a good number of people to all the boats daily. It is silly to think that if the Albacore move in the BFT of any size move out, they are all here to eat. Albacore have a water column and temperature preference but BFT can tolerate a lot of conditions if the food in there. People are funny as the last run of Albacore in San Diego had a time frame during the bite where the fish averaged between 25 to 40 lbs and biting nails and yet people started posting how they cant wait for the yellowfin to move. Nothing more exciting to get on that 1st school of Yelllowfin off of a patty after looking 1/2 the day and they average 6-12lbs and are 5 months old
This is true ...bft and albys definitely have no problem mixing together..in fact this was a day we were getting lots of troll stops on albacore ....we had stopped prob 10 or 12 times that day catching a few on dines each stop. . on three of those stops Jonny hayano who was a good friend and norms lead deckhand told me to grab a mackerel and follow him to the bow...only albacore had been caught but he quietly said he saw bft and they will eat a mack under the boat...all three times we hung fish .....he handed off his 3 and I got 2 of my own..the guy was amazing...saw him hooking and handing 100 lbers when I first saw them here and he had hooked 19 of the 21 fish landed...
20200417_151451.jpg

Last edited:

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
Well holy guacamole. Albacore are being caught to the west of us in the 6-15 pound range long lining commercial. So it is likely that the person who reported this caught a few scouts off SCI.

Albacore typically sends scouts to see what’s going on with the water cleanliness levels, as well as temperatures.

my fucking ass..... this dude has some legit information.... 8-) well played...... you get kudos for reporting it first.

Last edited:

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
This is true ...bft and albys definitely have no problem mixing together..in fact this was a day we were getting lots of troll stops on albacore ....we had stopped prob 10 or 12 times that day catching a few on dines each stop. . on three of those stops Jonny hayano who was a good friend and norms lead deckhand told me to grab a mackerel and follow him to the bow...only albacore had been caught but he quietly said he saw bft and they will eat a mack under the boat...all three times we hung fish .....he handed off his 3 and I got 2 of my own..the guy was amazing...saw him hooking and handing 100 lbers when I first saw them here and he had hooked 19 of the 21 fish landed...View attachment 1135069
These are smaller albacore. The bigger bluefin won’t swim with them. Back in the early 90s we had bluefin and albies mixed in on the New Lo Ann with Nick Cates running the boat. They were all mixed in on the same weight averages.

One thing Nick always reminded us of over the years I fished with em of his 46 years +. Is that when albies mix with bluefin? It’s going to be the same type of size.

Your picture speaks a thousand words. Bluefin in left of pic and albie on right

Last edited:

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Many years ago here in San Diego it was the saying set of your fireworks and go Albacore fishing that is just the way it was .....Back in the good old day when Loran ( and Loran isn't a woman) was used no bloody decks boards or web site we used Local Knowledge back than and found our own fish and burned lots of fuel and had great times and great Days Fishing ...Then the first change was the Regency Polaris RDF was invented and opened up being able to find out direction in other boats ...yea the good old days .....

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Just talked to someone on the other site. The last 10 years albacore haven’t been shown on that geographical location THATS on the other website posted. Last time the commercial fleet did see them on that spot it was an albacore year. Being 500 or so miles off? Puts us in position to get them Mid May or June like old albacore days. Now whether they want to skip us and goto Washington or Oregon is Mother Nature. But I was told from the other site that the water temperatures are perfect for Albacore, and if history repeats itself. We will have An albacore year.

With that being said. I guessed albacore after all this El Niño and La Niña shit was done with. If you look at the temp breaks up and down the coast? There’s not one pocket area over 63 degrees. And some of these banks are even at 56 degrees to 58 degrees. The water is cold all up and down SoCal.

With that said? I bet bottom dollar this albies year

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
I found when BFT mixed with Albacore, the Albacore seemed much less likely to go WFO.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
I found when BFT mixed with Albacore, the Albacore seemed much less likely to go WFO.
I found that as well early 2000s. When we actually had albacore. Seemed like we would get 30% albies and rest bluefin. And it’s gun and chase with these son of a bitches. Because the albies and bluefin wouldn’t stick with the boat.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
on 976 tuna now
Can we mention the website now? 976 shows you exactly where the albacore are. And the past 10 years commercial hasn’t seen em there. And when they did it was an albacore year. The picture of location is directly on the site.

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
If there was albacore around. Commercial would be first ones on em. And first ones to find em. Jason and the BD team knows commercial guys like back of their hand. So take what he posted in this thread and bank on it.
Don't bank on shit !!! Take everything with a grain of salt !!

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
Can we mention the website now? 976 shows you exactly where the albacore are. And the past 10 years commercial hasn’t seen em there. And when they did it was an albacore year. The picture of location is directly on the site.

ol' salt

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 10, 2017
sd
Name
ol' salt
Boat
maybe
Did you ask your friend that caught the two albacore why he didn’t report it to Fish Dope?🙄
Just curious why you would do that? Perhaps so they could profit off your info 🤷‍♂️

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
I found that as well early 2000s. When we actually had albacore. Seemed like we would get 30% albies and rest bluefin. And it’s gun and chase with these son of a bitches. Because the albies and bluefin wouldn’t stick with the boat.