hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
Went on a very long boat ride today out of Dana Point looking for BFT. Covered around 150 miles. Went from the 209 to 312 to 181 to 182 to north 9 and back toward the 209. We looked on both sides of the chloro break and by far the most bait and fish we saw was right on the dirty side of the chloro break.

We saw some BFT just inside the 182 but couldn’t get them to bite. Weather was perfect and it was great to get out even though we didn’t catch.

Also got reliable information from a friend that he caught 2 ALBACORE on Monday south of SCI trolling cedar plugs near paddies.

Which makes me wonder why I pay for fishdope??? You would think they would know if we had albacore back in our waters...

Tight lines.

Hophead

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
Albacore? That word doesn’t exist anymore. Thanks for scouting and a timely report. What time of day did you see the bluefin up?

Reactions: woodfish330

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
We keep hearing rumors, seeing old photos, talking to people who heard... not going to put up rumors on FD and send everyone out on a goose chase.
The rumor is there was fish at the weather buoy that was hooked on surface iron but not landed and not ID’d other than smaller than BFT.
We also heard there is boats getting jig strikes below the lower 500. No photos, no fish on the dock for ID, no nothing other than a relay of a relay.
There is a commercial boat with Oregon Albacore tied up at the commercial dock in SD with a full load of popsicles selling them as fresh local caught...
Until someone legit comes up with an actual fish and numbers the rumors don’t cut the FD report.
Every year people try to fool FD reporters in to putting up false info. We would rather be a few days late with a report than put up a rumor.
Right now the only people out of San Diego fishing are commercials. Yesterday the coastguard and DFW were checking boats coming back in to SD that had been in Mexico.They are saying that if on a commercial trip they can't be fishing in Mexico... they are bored and cracking down on poaching in Mex right now. We had two boats get checked, they were skunked and had no fish on board and were fishing in Mexican waters. They did not get fined.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Albacore is can tuna, what’s the big deal since we have bft why would you go chase them.
Because most people can’t catch a bluefin.
Albacore stick to the boat and fight like a White Sea bass. Grandpas and kids can enjoy tuna fishing again. Great fish for getting new people in to fishing.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
Out of my 20+ years of tuna fishing. I’ve never seen albacore on a paddy. Albacore are always moving they don’t stick to the paddies. If you watch Albacore fisherman in Oregon and Washington they are always moving with the school long lining because the school is always moving. Albacore usually travel 16 miles a day as well. One of the few tuna who travels that fast in 24 hour periods.

So I call 100% bull shit on this fake story.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
Out of my 20+ years of tuna fishing. I’ve never seen albacore on a paddy. Albacore are always moving they don’t stick to the paddies. If you watch Albacore fisherman in Oregon and Washington they are always moving with the school long lining because the school is always moving. Albacore usually travel 16 miles a day as well. One of the few tuna who travels that fast in 24 hour periods.

So I call 100% bull shit on this fake story.
He said caught NEAR paddy, not ON paddy ...

Reactions: plattas son

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
He said caught NEAR paddy, not ON paddy ...
I must have read it wrong. But He said he was trolling around Paddies with a cedar plug. And I’m not sure why a paddie was mentioned. Albacore don’t give a shit about a paddy.

Reactions: liltrouble

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
If there was albacore around. Commercial would be first ones on em. And first ones to find em. Jason and the BD team knows commercial guys like back of their hand. So take what he posted in this thread and bank on it.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I caught my first Albacore on a paddy fishing the Mascot 6.I also caught a Dorado and a small yellowtail on same paddy.One of the strangest days fishing i ever had.That was a non Albacore year if i remember correctly.

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
👍🏼

• Haha
Reactions: ocpoolguy

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
If there was albacore around. Commercial would be first ones on em. And first ones to find em. Jason and the BD team knows commercial guys like back of their hand. So take what he posted in this thread and bank on it.
I believe the report from the south. 31/117 is the area we were told. I know who is on them as well, but without photos, fish on the dock and real numbers we can't put it out on a paid service. Especially the unicorns...

P

Paddyman1

I caught my first Albacore on a paddy fishing the Mascot 6.I also caught a Dorado and a small yellowtail on same paddy.One of the strangest days fishing i ever had.That was a non Albacore year if i remember correctly.
My friend and I had a day like that also, although it was one YFT and one Albie. We decided to soak a couple baits on an offshore paddy near the 43 while eating lunch. We weren't even marking anything, just bull-shitting over a beer when both lines started screaming. So cool, and sooooo long ago.