Offshore Mixed Bag

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by LedZeppfin, Aug 19, 2018.

1. LedZeppfin

LedZeppfin Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats
    Trip Type: Private Boat 2 Dayer On A 42ft Hatteras
    Dates: Left Seaforth Marina Friday Night August 8/17/2018 to Sunday 8/19/2018
    Fish Caught: Skipjack, Yellowtail (released many), Bonito (released all), Barracuda (released), Calico Bass (all released) and Bluefin Tuna 18lbs to 22lbs
    Bait: Lively 4" to 6" Sardines. 6 Mackerel Caught At The Boat Dock But Not Used
    Areas Fished: Lower Hidden Bank, Upper Hidden Bank, Coronado Islands, 425, Inside Of The 371
    Hook Size: A #1 Gomakatsu Live Bait Hook
    Line: P-Line Blue 25lb, 30lb (main line) and 40lb P-Line Blue
    Reels I used: Shimano Talica 10, 12 and 16
    Rods: 7ft Seeker and Cousins rod
    Fluorocarbon: We used it but I didn't tie any on. I have plenty of it.

Local 18lb to 22lb+ Bluefin are at the Coronado Islands. Yes! Don't believe me? Read on.

It has been a 2 year hiatus since I last fished on this 42ft private boat. It's nice to be on it and fishing again after not having a passport card. I've put some really nice tuna on this boat! We use to do overnight trips and now do 2 day trips so we stay out longer to fish. It also allows us to cover a lot more water. We anchor up at the Coronado Islands to spend the night at.

We aimed for the Upper Hidden Bank and got all 4 troll rods to go off on skipjack tuna (in the middle of nowhere) at the Lower Hidden Bank. We only kept 2 of those. Along our route we went through the inside of the 371 and found some kelp paddies with nobody home. We get to the Upper Hidden Bank and charter boats are everywhere. With high powered binoculars we see a few anglers hoooked and landed but nothing to brag about. We get one and let it go while fishing a ways down to the left of the Vagabond. A private boat went into their chum line and were hooking up. What a you gonna do for those who do this? We didn't stay all that long as the wind came up and made the drift a little too fast. The bite wasn't wide open anyways but the fish counts were good. Coming to this area requires a long soak with a lively bait. The boats and schools are widely scattered about from what we noticed.

We head for the Coronado Islands to anchor up for the night and we hooked and released some bonita on the troll 2 miles down from the south island (6:30pm). We get a mile from the south island and all 4 trolling rods go off. Yeah! We finally got some yellowtail in the boat.

In the early morning (6:30am to 7:00am) we get the anchor up and decided not to go back to the Upper Hidden Bank or back to the 371. We started trolling some swimabits. Zzzzzz as we didn't get very far and the trolling go off. We toss bait in the water and we are on a consistent yellowtail bite. This went on repeatedly during the morning. We see boils and wonder what they are. After a while one of the guys gets sawed off using 15lb. He thinks it was a bluefin. I didn't know what it was.

Location: 3/4 way down of the south Coronado Island (northern section of it) but on the northern side of it. Inside (not windy side) where the white communication tower and mobile home trailers are. Stay a 1/2 mile out or in 60ft of water. It had great fishing for yellowtail and some bigger bluefin were there. We should of had limits of bluefin for 3 people. Some you catch, some come off and others saw you off.

The Drift: We had a slow drift going and were drifting along side the island but a 1/2 mile out in front of the communication tower. Sitting over 60 feet of water.

The Bait: The bigger bait and very lively worked the best. The bait had a to be a good distance away from the boat. Both techniques worked either butt hooking or nose hooking them. As long as they wouldn't stop they were bit quite fast.

Soon or later more fish are boiling in the distance. I hook up and said this is no yellowtail. Get it to the boat, see the death circles and we gaff a 22lb bluefin. I catch another bluefin and this one was 18lbs. My other friend hooks up using a circle hook, 20lb P-Line, fluoro leader and he gets sawed off. He hooks another a short time later and this time lands a bluefin about 18lbs. I get bit again and land an 18lb bluefin. My other friend gets bit and has a bigger fish going. A sea line comes over and snatches it. I get bit again and this fish is much bigger. After a while it sawes me off. A bad part was in the line after a calico ran me into some structure. I cut a lot of line off but missed a section 5 feet up. You think you get it all and to my surprise I missed it. We were in this particular area from 7:00am to 9:30am. It was a consistent bite on both species. We later trolled the area and to Puky Point of the North Island where we release a 14lb yellow on a trolled swimbait as other yellows followed it.

We ended the day releasing many fish but kept a limit of yellowtail, 3 bluefin and 2 skipjack. It was fun and the water was looking very good at the Coronado Islands. We saw some skipjacks busting up the water a ways out from the north island but didn't stop on them. Saw a few kelp paddies in this area with nobody home. ZThe 9 Mile Bank was very desolate of anything.

Get out there, get the rods bent and catch some fish. Go get those blueifn at the south island before they dissapear. And no!! I'm not kidding you. After hooking 200lb bluefin last year they were done on going after them again. These smaller fish are more fun to catch anyways.

Any questions just ask. I have nothing to hide.

Here are the pics!

David
    Mission Viejo

20181120_084225.jpg 20181120_084252.jpg 20181120_090745.jpg 20181120_091238.jpg 20181120_091655.jpg 20181121_005349.jpg 20181121_005411.jpg 20181121_005917.jpg 20181121_005938.jpg 20181121_015129.jpg 20181121_060304.jpg 20181121_061207.jpg 20181121_064706.jpg 20181121_065710.jpg 31791.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Bwood, TRAINER, Joe229 and 17 others like this.
  2. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Very nice report and photos. 6-packs are the way to - except for beer (then you need at least a 12er). Congrats!

3. Scott Craig

Scott Craig Newbie

Name:
    Crabby
    Boat:
    To the max
    Nice report. Thks .!!! Enjoy your fish dinner !!

LedZeppfin likes this.
  4. slayerjr

slayerjr Newbie

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    Friends boat
    Nice write up Dave. It was really good fishing with you again!
    Those new Talicas you have sure made a nice addition to your arsenal.
    I think the sea lions cost us three or four bluefin. But, that’s just how it goes at the islands.
    I hope you can get out there again in a few weeks.

LedZeppfin likes this.
  5. aquasport79

aquasport79 Member

Name:
    Kyle Carden
    Boat:
    Aquasport
    Excellent write up !
    Great photos
    :cheers:

6. Iceberg

Iceberg Jeff

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    My roommies twin-V catamaran
    Great info!

7. LedZeppfin

LedZeppfin Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats
    Non of us bring alcohol on the boat. We drink water and Gatorade. I know it's kind of unheard of these days. The trips are so much nicer without intoxicated people on board.

Hugh Kollar and nefarious235 like this.
  8. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    One hell of a trip, congrats!

9. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Now, that’s the way to go in style.

10. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    That's cool! A nados bft is on my bucket list!

Hugh Kollar likes this.
  11. Edward L Russ

Edward L Russ Member

Name:
    Rusty cage
    Boat:
    Mission fishin
    Good job Dave.

12. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike