Offshore Fishing in SD after a large hurricane swell

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Surfersteve79, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Surfersteve79

Surfersteve79 Newbie

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'm very curious to hear everyone’s feedback especially some skippers or deckhands two cents about this topic.

With all the warm water this year and what seems like a resurgence of YFT, Dorado, and Bluefin still biting off SCI and out towards Tanner Banks what is about to happen next week? For those of you who don’t know it looks like we are going to get a large SE-S Swell somewhere in the 7-8’++ range as early as late this weekend into early next week followed by even some wet weather courteous of Hurricane Rosa. She’s expected to head north then slam somewhere into Central Baja.

My theory is lots of kelp will get broken off down in Baja with the largest paddies of the year making their way northward into SD/N Baja waters as early as the following week. With that larger YFT and dodos will ensue. Not to mention the swell will usher up more warm water.

Can anyone post what’s happened in the past when this happens? I know the water quality on th backside of the islands takes a dump but what about the local offshore scene?

2. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    I would imagine a fresh batch of fish get pushed up with the swell.

3. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Swell energy does not move a lot of water the way most people think it does. Wind and current yes, swell much less so.

Other than a larger swell to fish on top of IMO Rosa will do little to improve the fishing we have going right now. Unless it tracks further north than expected won't hurt it much either.

plj46 likes this.
  4. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    That would be nice, because I leave on the 11 Th of OCT,
    for a 2 1/2 day, bring iton..

5. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Might have some effect. I’ve been banking on it being better later this season (I’ve got a 4.5 day October 17th)

I am more concerned with those guys who will be hooping at night for the opener. Could be an ugly situation for those desperate to be first.

6. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    For starters usually the water will roll because of the updwelling causing cooler water temp for a few days , if theirs not a strong wind this may not happen , 13 to 16 seconds intervals on the swells would possibly lessen the amount the water turns over , chances are slim the swell interval would be that large of a gap , you never know what mother nature will throw at us , its all wishful thinking

7. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Holdfasts release at 75F, so whatever kelp might've been ripped out is probably already adrift. Hopefully we get a push of warm water up the line and that wahoo the Pac Voyager got won't be a one-off. One can hope.

MikeyLikesIt likes this.
  8. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    I've got a full day next Wednesday the 3rd, so hoping it doesnt get too messed up....... :(

9. Surfersteve79

Surfersteve79 Newbie

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    N/A
    Longer period swells don’t move much water. However shorter period stuff 8-12 seconds does. I agree kelp that’s broken off will already be out there but any heavy wind and seas in Baja once Rosa comes ashore and it will be a natural weed wacker within a 150 mile radius. For the most part sport anglers out here have it easy with most long period S-SW swells in the summer being 2-5’ range with some 3-5’ short period chop thrown in there to give anyone in a 30’ or under private boat a bath on the ride in or out. Beats fishing back east in 10’+ seas with 30 knots of wind and a 10-12 second interval. Oyyy still not missing that even if it was in a 65’ Hatteras...Not discounting discomfort to anyone who’s gonna be on a multi day trip starting this weekend who’s not use to fishing in large swells.

10. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    I know that large swells mean less work....the boat does the lifting on hooked fish. :D

I'm on a 8 day leaving the 6th, maybe we'll find the skinnies before we get to the rocks?

onehottip likes this.
  11. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator

This is my understanding. Don't expect this swell to push a bunch of warm, wahoo filled water our way.

:)

12. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Kevin -- Safety is the main reason why the lobster opener is now 6am on Saturday morning, not earlier. There will be a bunch of tickets written on people who try to jump the gun, or refuse to read the regulations before starting the season.

The most safety issues I ever saw in working any season opener was lobster pot issues in the middle of the night. People get crazy.

13. rob2dog

rob2dog Newbie

Name:
    robbie
    Boat:
    Triumph 215 CC
    The big surprise will be if the weathermen are wrong with the path of the hurricane.
    it's been a long time since a hurricane came ashore in so cal!

14. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    A long time ? more like never.

15. yellofvr

yellofvr Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    At home
    Currently how is the swell? Is it supposedly going to start tomorrow? Im Talking local San Diego was thinking of taking the boy on a 3/4 day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  16. Surfersteve79

Surfersteve79 Newbie

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    N/A
    The swell isn’t so bad now long period sw and some shorter period NW windswell BUT that’s going to change. Starting Saturday evening SE swells will start to rise up steadily and by Sunday evening into Tuesday a 8-10’ south swell is going to be in local waters. Rosa has started her turn north and is a Cat 4. How far north she wonders before hitting N Baja is the question mark. Models are saying a similar hurricane and path next weekend too.

This is going to be an interesting season. Another thing to consider in swells that large travel time is going to go up to/from the fishing grounds now. So that’s an added bummer.

Looks like the surfboard is coming out instead of the fishing rod

17. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    I now understand the fact that warm water won't push up for the most part, but what about the swell forecast affect on overall fishing? Also, it says Tuesday/Wednesday will be cloudy with showers around. We have our full day trip Wednesday? Should it still be decent fishing, just not need to use as much sunscreen......?????? ;)