Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse

Looking for some opinions about this. I understand that the dude credited with this is not everyone’s favorite. However, I’m one to believe that we as sportsmen have a lot to gain from some of these “green” initiatives. Shoot, Teslas, fuel efficiency standards and reducing demand for gas is partially why we still have “cheap” fuel for our boats.

Anyway, I go over huge offshore wind installations when I fly into AMS. There are always fishing boats working the bases. It seems like a few hundred of these would be great along the sandy southern waters of WA. Think FADs out in HI.

The downside would be to the birds, but maybe chopping a few gulls into fish food would actually help? It could cut on predation of fry. Now if we could find a windmill that knocked off a few seals.

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Wind Mills are great if they are economically feasible and might make for fish habitat, killing winged rats that feed on fish would be a side benefit. But I don't think they are cost effective off our coast. I don't have any info on sea based installation costs but since the Washington and Oregon coast is sparsely populated and relatively cheap it would seem land based installations would be cheaper and easier. They aren't terribly new as most of us use them as landmarks when fishing S. of Westport.

Cheap oil was the result of increased supply from fracking which resulted in the US becoming a net oil exporter for the first time in many years. This may soon change as the current administration has already started restricting new leases. Electric cars are cool but have done little to curb demand yet as they makeup a tiny percentage of cars in the US still. The Covid shutdowns however did dramatically reduce demand as we saw a couple months last year where oil companies were having to pay people to take their product unfortunately we are likely to see the reverse this year.

Last edited:

Spokaloo

Oct 30, 2008
Spokane, Wa
www.stagboatworks.com
Name
Eric
Boat
I build my own
Ignore the politics of it and it is an interesting concept.

Windmills will create structure.

Coastlines don’t need to be densely populated to get a benefit. Remember the power generated by Boneville dam doesn’t dribble a single watt in the PNW, it all runs on some monster DC lines to Cali. Oregon especially has huge transmission capacity already, and it isn’t much to tie those offshore projects to the on shore grid.

More power in Oregon means cheaper power in Oregon.

Sacking a few LNG power plants in Oregon where the energy from the east side and the energy from offshore are far enough apart that there will be some balanced generating capacity (windy east, calm west will turn to windy west and calm east, often).

The only risk is if the state opts to make these sorts of projects off limits to anglers, then it is far less beneficial for us.

Ignore the politics, just look at the numbers.

E

tinmaniac

Almost A Member
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Name
Bob
Boat
Sled
Imagine where we would be if Regan would have embraced renewable energy.Carter had solar panels installed on the White House and Regan had them removed.We spend more time going backwards fighting the only thing that is permanent in this world,that thing is change.

Reactions: C-Dawg

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I'd rather see oil rigs offshore myself. Great for fishing and actually doing something useful instead of fueling fantasies of offshore boats powered by Chinese solar panels and other pipe dreams. If people had zero political biases and looked at actual facts we'd be powering our country with nuclear, natural gas and hydro power. The power these solar and wind farms generate is a joke compared to a decent sized nuke plant or hydroelectric dam.

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Burning fossil fuel is really a stupid way to produce energy but at this point we’re stuck with it for awhile. We use oil and gas for so many other useful things
    A few countries in Europe are getting up to half their energy from offshore wind, no a bad plan
    Using nuclear energy is also an efficient way to generate power, just when people hear the word they think mushroom cloud
    Looks like a chunk of the infrastructure bill is going to offshore wind. Wouldn’t mind seeing them offshore here, we could use some new habitats since the oil rigs will be removed at some point

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Tidal turbines....

If there's one thing consistent around here it's tides.

As opposed to driving I90 and looking at a thousand wind turbines that barley move half the year.

Reactions: Baby J

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    I'd rather see oil rigs offshore myself. Great for fishing and actually doing something useful instead of fueling fantasies of offshore boats powered by Chinese solar panels and other pipe dreams. If people had zero political biases and looked at actual facts we'd be powering our country with nuclear, natural gas and hydro power. The power these solar and wind farms generate is a joke compared to a decent sized nuke plant or hydroelectric dam.
    +1 for nukes. I see myself as pretty “green” minded and I don’t see how people can rationally demonize nuclear power. It’s all emotional. Any safety risk has been virtually eliminated but they are SUPER expensive to build.

BTW, the Netflix Chernobyl series is a great watch. It highlights the risks of... living in Cold War Russia.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Ignore the politics of it and it is an interesting concept.

Windmills will create structure.

Coastlines don’t need to be densely populated to get a benefit. Remember the power generated by Boneville dam doesn’t dribble a single watt in the PNW, it all runs on some monster DC lines to Cali. Oregon especially has huge transmission capacity already, and it isn’t much to tie those offshore projects to the on shore grid.

More power in Oregon means cheaper power in Oregon.

Sacking a few LNG power plants in Oregon where the energy from the east side and the energy from offshore are far enough apart that there will be some balanced generating capacity (windy east, calm west will turn to windy west and calm east, often).

The only risk is if the state opts to make these sorts of projects off limits to anglers, then it is far less beneficial for us.

Ignore the politics, just look at the numbers.

E
    California only gets the surplus power.The rest goes to the PNW.

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
    Sequim, Washington State.
    Name
    Seahusky
    Boat
    Hewescraft Ocean Pro
    Off the east coast of Ireland, just south east of Dublin there is a huge bank of off-shore wind turbines out in the Irish Sea. These things are highly effective and supply a lot of power to that part of the country. I am hearing we are now looking at submersible wave generating power sources on the west coast that faces the Atlantic. That part of the coastline has terrific storms that generate huge waves. Love all this new Green Energy coming out.

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    "Burning fossil fuel is really a stupid way to produce energy "
    I know what you mean, but I doubt you would have that opinion if you were freezing to death in the middle of the night, lost in the forest. I am sure you would be looking for some wood and dreaming of the day when you could brag about how smart you were with your survival skills. Or is wood somehow different?

Technology is gradually making all existing energy technologies obsolete, but until cold fusion is a reality, there will people proclaiming that older technologies are "really stupid".

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Good luck thinking they are going to let us fish anywhere near the wind farms. If they choose anywhere with a reef all the chains and anchors will litter the area. Good if in sand and barren areas. I’d rather see oil platforms like the gulf though.

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    With all the money being wasted on social engineering disguised as infrastructure I think we could afford to build six big nuclear plants that would generate more power than all the green energy in the world. That’s never going to happen though because green energy is highly subsidized and a great way for politicians to funnel our money to their friends.

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    With all the money being wasted on social engineering disguised as infrastructure I think we could afford to build six big nuclear plants that would generate more power than all the green energy in the world. That’s never going to happen though because green energy is highly subsidized and a great way for politicians to funnel our money to their friends.
    The day is coming when those kinds of insightful comments will not be permitted on the internet as they are hurtful, racist and perpetuate white / western supremacy. Enjoy it while you can.

Alysium

Sep 11, 2020
    Keller Washington 99140
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Op220

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....

It's hard for me to read the fine print, but this is surely about NuScale.

In case y'all haven't heard about it, this is a small-scale "modular" nuclear reactor originally developed by a nuclear engineering professor at Oregon State U. They created a company called NuScale. If you take the time to read about it, from the safety standpoint it has passive cooling...a fail-to-safe design.

They have been going through the long and arduous approval process with the NRC, and have successfully been permitted to build (offsite) and then install / operate the first reactors at the Idaho National Lab.

I don't know exactly how many years it's been, but this is the first nuclear power generation plant approved by the NRC in a very long time.

Last edited:

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    To fish off of! The advantages of an oil platform is they can be in DEEP water, like 1000’ plus. Windmills would not likely be so deep, maybe below 100’.

Any offshore structure is going to provide a vertical reef, but I think that up here in the PNW the green water would be the ticket. It would harbor rockfish and lings.

What would a blue water FAD do off our shores? It doesn’t seem like we have enough Pelagics to make it work this far north.

Tim Swanson

Jackpoler
    Aug 17, 2008
    bonita ca.
    Name
    Tim Swanson
    Boat
    34ft Blackman KOKOPELLI
    Wind Turbine Graveyard

What happens to "wind farm" equipment when they wear out? They are NOT recyclable. Welcome to the wind turbine graveyard, Casper, Wyoming.

imap://dlneff1949%40gmail%2Ecom@imap.gmail.com:993/fetch%3EUID%3E/INBOX%3E17784?part=1.2.2&filename=1608071108084blob1.png

< Hundreds of non-recyclable wind turbine blades to be buried in landfill>
    image002.png

So much for clean power; note the size of the bulldozer burying the blades in comparison to the blades.

Welcome to the wind turbine graveyard. It stretches a hundred meters {328 feet} from a bend in the North Platte River in Casper, Wyoming.

anemic

circling the drain
    Mar 6, 2004
    Long Beach
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    nope
    "Because solar and wind are inherently unreliable and energy-dilute, Germany has had to spend 27% more on things like transmission lines from distant solar and wind farms spread all throughout the country.

Has expensive German electricity lowered carbon emissions? It hasn’t. The country’s carbon emissions have been flat since 2009. A big part of the reason has been due to the country’s attempt to replace nuclear power plants with solar and wind energies."

Spokaloo

Oct 30, 2008
    Spokane, Wa
    www.stagboatworks.com
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    I build my own
    They aren’t burying blades because the parts aren’t recyclable, they’re doing it because it is the cheapest possible thing they can do with the existing blades.

That’s corporate laziness. The marine industry has the exact same problem, but the boats are typically somewhat contaminated, so it complicates use later in the chain.

The post-use fiberglass in turbines is very clean, exceptionally uniform, and there aren’t myriad parts to remove before it can be used. Windmill blades are an ideal material, after they are used, to be ground up and used in two different phases of cement production. Once in the early production of Portland cement, the second as a reinforcing matrix in the cement mix at the site.

People like to politicize this stuff, but the science and the economics are there.

E

Reactions: FishPimpII

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Yes, the coast of Washington is considered prime for oil and gas drilling. Clearly marked as such on my 1978 copy of Moen's Mineral Resource Map I got from the state Geology lab in Oly.
    Lots of ideas on different large scale power infrastructure and their merits. If I may add my two cents; I feel it would be wiser to invest in any of the above options AFTER the next Cascadia subduction zone event we are supposedly overdue for. I fear the 'vertical structure' discussed above would be jinxed into truly tangled reef/wreck in short order otherwise.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW