Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
I had some buddys from nor cal come down to fish and man they picked a bad weather day or two to do it! On Thursday no one was at the ramp and the flag at mission bay Hyatt was strait out. Not a good sign. Thanks goodness we got a Grady 300 Marlin-ate it up for two days strait no concerns but yikes it was not calm. Sunday was very calm and nice but there was a lot of guys out especially after Saturdays reports.

Thursday we made the run down to the lower hidden, yes lower hidden. Stopped on a nice bird mark just inside the pen boats, threw some bait and a big school moved under the boat and I chummed a bunch but they would not come up but after 20 minutes we still picked off one fish. Moved further south and stopped on more bird schools for great meter marks but no bites. Further down we found a loaded kelp and trolled by in neutral at 3 knots and after the kids landed 4 or 5 yellows we could not find the kelp to save our ass. Started north at this time and made the grind up hill looking for birds and kelps and it was just too sporty and made the move toward the barn.

Wednesday I went west and found a ton for fish and birds on the 302 to the 226 and we worked hard and put some tuna on. The fish were not foaming the trick was to get in front and let the terns fly through and one would hook up. Luckily everyone caught one and the kids each had some epic battles. Fun day and the weather was crappy but wayyy better than Thursday.

Sunday I took a friend who had a request to take another friend and I said why not. I talked to Lou on the phone Saturday while he was on the spot where he caught his fish-incredible cell reception? Anyway headed to 35/35 Sunday morning and oh my what a zoo. Glassed around said no way-more west, glassed some more, nope more west. All alone now, we see a ton of birds sitting around and a couple terns. Stop in front of the terns, throw some bait, quad hook up on bluefin. We never started the motors until it was time to go home. 9 for a bunch and topped by a 55. another was 50. Bigger ones, looked like 80 or so YFT, mixing in the chum. Blow ups next to the motors by nice units. The bite started at 35/45 and we drifted 7 miles in 5 hours to 38/40 something like that. US waters when we drove in.

kidsday1.jpeg

kids day2.jpeg

pete.jpeg

mikeyft.jpeg

davebft.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Thanks Guys-I fish a lot and rarely take kids so I jumped at the chance. The friend deal was kinda special and dont want to go into it.

Hot rod was AVET MX 25 pound to 25 pound floro with 1/0 or #1 hook on a calstar 700L. Near the end they would eat 30 pound if the bait swam well. Phenex 809XH with a torium 16 did well and a 700M with a AVET MXJ 30 pound got bit. All kinda smallish tackle really.

Looks to be a great season guys!

Upvote 0

Sciaenops

Nov 23, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Keith
Boat
Aquasport Explorer 225
Way to get it done. I was on a (big) party boat last Thurs in the zone and I can’t imagine being on a 30’. You’re a tough hombre.

Upvote 0