Off with your head 10/16

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Mike and I pushed off a tad early, bait is why... Kinda junk until nautical twilight, then did good on small Akule/Halalus. At least got some wigglers. Ran out and a little bit right, maybe should have went a little bit left. Just as we crossed the 1000, the center released, never stuck, while I'm at the center trying to tease a strike, the port flat rubber band breaks, doesn't stick, I'm right there, reach over, drop it into free spool, thumb on the spool, letting it drop back, feel the pick up, give it a few seconds and "fish on".
SU 101621.jpg

Fish took some line, not a crazy blistering run, but still tuggin'. Mike gets suited up, I clear most of the lines, Mike makes short work of the early day critter, I leader, Mike sinks the gaff, perfectly aligned with a major blood vessel, gaffed and bled all in one swing of the gaff. Pull the nice fall stripey into the boat, clean up some, set back up, cut the critter and into the box he goes.
offwithyourhead.jpg

stripey 101621.jpg

Get out a few more miles and find scattered birds, sometimes they would come together, see a splash or 2, looked pretty big. Long story short... once the sun got higher in the sky, we could see they were marlins crashing bait, during the course of the day must have see over 100 blow ups, probably eye balls on no less that 30-40 fish, sometimes right next to the boat, it was pretty crazy. Last year in the fall, Mike and I saw that out in the CO area, this year not as far. We did have one other bite, had it on for a little while, came off (evidence says marlin).

That was our day, heard about some excitement further to the left, we were happy with our day. If you were wondering, 2 guys were baiting where we were, saw each of them hook up.
lure 101621.jpg

Butch's chrome knock off Tady called the M90 got the fish, I think Tady's were M70 and M80. The Futa was on the center, the 7" Miracle was on the port rigger (got bit mid day).

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

akunui

Almost A Member
Jan 15, 2007
oahu
Name
jason
Boat
28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
Good going Pat! A fall stripey is kinda weird? I also remember the crashing marlins from last year around this time which was strange but awesome to see. Glad you held onto your bite. Aloha

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
nice heard some medium shibis came up in town.
Thanks and even some legit ones...
Great report/info/pics..and NICE FISH.
Wow even a quick "Beheading"??? LOL
Thanks Ron.
Good going Pat and Mike, nice to see you guys got some action! Thanks for the report.
Thanks Jimmy, based on the visuals from that day we should have had way more action.
Yep.
Nice work. Is that a striper?
Thanks Dude and yes sir Nairagi.
Thanks he doesn't always read the report????
Good going Pat! A fall stripey is kinda weird? I also remember the crashing marlins from last year around this time which was strange but awesome to see. Glad you held onto your bite. Aloha
Thanks Jason, it kinda shut down from Sunday to Monday.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Hi Pat, we went out yesterday and it was a bust. Saw plenty of bird piles hovering from between R buoy to Nanakuli, but nothing broke water. I need to learn to start baiting, that way if we don't catch anything we still can kau kau the bait, LOL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Hi Pat, we went out yesterday and it was a bust. Saw plenty of bird piles hovering from between R buoy to Nanakuli, but nothing broke water. I need to learn to start baiting, that way if we don't catch anything we still can kau kau the bait, LOL.
Yep, certainly changed out there, went last week Tuesday, not a touch, went yesterday, plenty more action, out of 6 bites ended up with a really nice Hebi. Didn't take any pics, so won't create a new thread.
Nice fish you got there. Thanks for the report.
Thanks HD.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Yep, certainly changed out there, went last week Tuesday, not a touch, went yesterday, plenty more action, out of 6 bites ended up with a really nice Hebi. Didn't take any pics, so won't create a new thread.

Thanks HD.

Cheers
Pat
Thanks for the info, Pat. Good going on the hebi! Hope got one out there for us! We are going holoholo tomorrow, hope to hear the ratchet scream. (Maybe they all froze up), LOL.
Mahalo,
Jimmy

Upvote 0