fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Rodless you persevered and caught trophy YFT and some beautiful skinnies.....the 200# mark is just a goal, but IMO any tuna over 100# is a trophy fish to be proud of.....

As you said you learned a lot, that is really the goal... Congratulations on a stellar trip.

Reactions: stephen campbell

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Hey Jim. It's a fishing trip. Something away from reality, something fun. Long as you gave it your best try, that's all that matters. Some guys get a big one that just swims by and eats their bait. It's not skill, it's call luck. Some think that it's skill, but we all know it's called luck.

The most important thing is that for a brief period in your life. All that mattered was catching a fish. Imagine how cool is that? No worry about paying bills, or work or life or someone being sick or someone passing away or etc etc. Just the fact that catching a fish became the total focus for that short period and all that mattered. Now that is price
less.

Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
All, I am by no means disappointed. In truth, you all seemed every bit as eager as I was (or more so!) for me to break that magic 200lb mark. So I didn't...so what? a 180lb tuna is the biggest I've ever caught, and plenty good enough for me.

I am happy because I did well under difficult conditions, and I had a blast. As Fishy and harddrive are my witnesses, all I wanted to do was have fun and catch fish. God knows I did THAT. I was smiling throughout the trip, and I am smiling now.

Thank you all so much for the enthusiasm and the moral support. Sharing the adventure with you has made it all that much more special.

:)

wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
Mobile, AL
www.thefishingweatherman.com
Name
Chris
Boat
none
Thanks for taking us along with you on this trip, Jim. We all enjoyed the ride! :)
Speaking of the ride, it looks like you'll be heading into a steady 10-15 knot wind most of the way up the line. Occasionally stronger, with a few brief lulls in between. But most of the ride back home, I see a steady 10-15 knots. Not bad, but not flat calm either. Hope you get a little time at the rocks to break up the long boat ride.
Thanks again for your regular reports. This technology is a wonderful thing and can only serve to promote the long range fleet in the long term.
-Chris Dunn
The Fishing Weatherman

darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
Jun 24, 2012
Santa Ysabel
Name
Darren
Boat
36' Uniflite/Vagabond
The most important thing is that for a brief period in your life. All that mattered was catching a fish. Imagine how cool is that? No worry about paying bills, or work or life or someone being sick or someone passing away or etc etc. Just the fact that catching a fish became the total focus for that short period and all that mattered. Now that is price
less.
that's the truth right there.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
OK, so we had our internet receiver in the shadow of the ship's mast for close to two days, thus no report.

We are on our way home, and it doesn't look right now like there will be any stop. Alijos is in our rear view mirror, but the weather was just way too rough, and we haven't got the time to spare. The current plan calls for a quick stop for rockfish, but the way the wind is blowing, I don't expect us to do that either. That's OK, because I wasn't going to fish for rockfish anyway. I am just the tiniest bit bummed because I would have liked to catch some yellows, but that's the way it goes.

Ride is bumpy but OK. Looking forward to making port now. FWIW, the bite looks like it is switching from night to day. All that lead, and you guys may not need it after all. I just know I will never again come on one of these trips without a mountain of sinkers...just in case.

Tight lines all!

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
OK, so we had our internet receiver in the shadow of the ship's mast for close to two days, thus no report.

We are on our way home, and it doesn't look right now like there will be any stop. Alijos is in our rear view mirror, but the weather was just way too rough, and we haven't got the time to spare. The current plan calls for a quick stop for rockfish, but the way the wind is blowing, I don't expect us to do that either. That's OK, because I wasn't going to fish for rockfish anyway. I am just the tiniest bit bummed because I would have liked to catch some yellows, but that's the way it goes.

Ride is bumpy but OK. Looking forward to making port now. FWIW, the bite looks like it is switching from night to day. All that lead, and you guys may not need it after all. I just know I will never again come on one of these trips without a mountain of sinkers...just in case.

Tight lines all!
You did have the full moon and that 's when the fish feed a lot.

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Jim, You did us ALL a big favor in doing the reports that you gave us. For those of use about ready to leave on a trip, you gave us a lot of information on what we need as far as gear, fishing times, stamina, and hope. You also gave ALL of us a report just as if we were on the trip with you, at least I felt that way. My trip leaves on May 9th, on the EXCEL, and that will be my second trip( I hope to catch as many fish as you did). Thank You!

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Jim, You did us ALL a big favor in doing the reports that you gave us. For those of use about ready to leave on a trip, you gave us a lot of information on what we need as far as gear, fishing times, stamina, and hope. You also gave ALL of us a report just as if we were on the trip with you, at least I felt that way. My trip leaves on May 9th, on the EXCEL, and that will be my second trip( I hope to catch as many fish as you did). Thank You!
Good Luck Dan, I know you will enjoy the Excel.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Catching rockfish now. We did a couple of drifts, and had some success, so now we're anchored up. The deep droppers are loading up. Not my cup of tea, so I'm sitting in the salon catching up with work.

And so ends a good trip. Anyone who feels like giving me grief can find me at the Landing tomorrow...

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Jim,

Thanks so much for the awesome report. Right now, my trips top out at 7 days, and it was great getting a feel for what it is like on the longer ones. Sounds like you got some great fish, and though it may be at times frustrating, I bet you had a great time as well.

-Connor

picasso

Jul 27, 2009
los angeles
Name
joe
Boat
17 Boston Whaler
Thanks a bunch Mr. Rodless,

I'm afraid your on-the-spot, "live", real time reporting from the Bank and Buffer have raised the bar for all future fish reports and reporters.
No one is gonna want to read some week (or weak, depending on your POV) old story anymore.
Nice job.

I saw your pre trip list of excellent equipment you were taking.
Did you use everything you took?

I'm sorry you didn't get the Super, maybe next time will be Jim time.

You were on your way back, and already hatching a plan to go again?
I get that same feeling.
Picasso

Yolo

Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
Went down to the docks to thank Mr Jim personally this AM for all of his reports. He mentioned that on several occasions he had to post his reports in the early AM (like 2 AM or so)...so EXTRA KUDOS for posting and bringing us along on his trip!

Thanks again Jim.

kgpcr

Dec 4, 2008
MN
Name
kevin
Boat
18' Lund
Thanks for the reports Jim! it was great to read them!

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
From the boat's perspective, giving those who book the eary the first at bat, is an insentive to book early. Also it's a fairness issue, a way of getting in line. Don't think so? Well try going to WallMart On black friday 5 minutes before they open and tell those who have been in line for day's (I know they're crazy) That you want to draw names from a hat. LotsAluck.

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
From the boat's perspective, giving those who book the eary the first at bat, is an insentive to book early. Also it's a fairness issue, a way of getting in line. Don't think so? Well try going to WallMart On black friday 5 minutes before they open and tell those who have been in line for day's (I know they're crazy) That you want to draw names from a hat. LotsAluck.

??????:confused:

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Actually, Excel extends a lot of extra courtesy to their long time anglers. It's not all bad, though. And in any case, it IS an incentive (however small) to book early. I wasn't offended. Maybe they could have drawn a number out of the hat, but they didn't. Didn't bother me...not nearly as much as the slow, picky night bite did!

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I was going to post information on lessons learned, and I will, but I think I will start a new thread for that.

This much I can tell you: We all have friends going out tomorrow on Excel, and more going out in a couple of days on Intrepid. What I described during my trip reflected the conditions that we encountered while WE were there...in particular a night bite that often required heavy lead to get bit.

It looks now like the conditions have changed significantly. The bite is still scratchy, it seems (I expect that to change...there are big fish all over, and you know it's going to just go off really soon), but now it is a daytime bite, and the fish seem to be feeding much closer to the surface. People who buy a mountain of 12oz and 16oz sinkers may feel deceived, because they might not end up using them much if the current conditions prevail.

For me, there's just no way I am going on a cow trip ever again without at least six or eight 16oz torpedoes, and another six or eight 12ozers too. Plus sundry 6oz., 8oz., and 10oz. sinkers. That in addition to my normal complement of smaller sinkers. Will I expect to use them? Maybe not. Perhaps HOPEFULLY not. I would prefer to be able to flyline a bait in a more typical feeding pattern. I have had more success in those conditions.

But I will damned sure be READY for a hot night bite!

The other thing that I can say is that, no matter what the feeding pattern seems to be in general, I will always fish the pre-dawn and post-sunset periods at least SOME. Lots of big fish are caught in those slots. The PL-68 and the other big jigs (Sumo 7X, Tady 15) were productive too, and will continue to be so.

For everyone going out, tight lines!

For all who read this thread and (hopefully!) enjoyed it, thanks!

What's next, you ask? Well, I am on the waiting list for two April trips again next year, the same 17-day Ralph Mikkelsen charter on Excel, and a 16-day charter on Independence. My current plan is to sign up for whichever of those trips has an opening first.

In the meantime, I am going to haunt harddrive and shacl for the next couple of months, because I am already signed up to join them on their Summer 7-day...

:D

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
...What's next, you ask? Well, I am on the waiting list for two April trips again next year, the same 17-day Ralph Mikkelsen charter on Excel, and a 16-day charter on Independence. My current plan is to sign up for whichever of those trips has an opening first...
As I think most of you know by now, I ended up on the West Coast Marketing trip that leaves on March 25th. I make no promises with regard to on the water reports...but I probably will.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Jim have a great trip. I just might see you out on the water. I leave March 21. I will be on the Intrepid. Say hi to woody for me..ok and the rest of the gang. Tell them Soda Pop say hi. I was on there SaltyDawg trip a little over a week ago.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
O OK.......... Have a great trip.... be safe..... we still might be fishing near each other.