Off We Go... Excel 17-day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Rodman 28

Rodman 28 Newbie

Name:
    Mark Stephen
    This thread was hijacked at post # 26, when the topic turned to terminal tackle, Maybe you should READ threads from the beginning & NOT the last page prior to commenting!!...Mark

2. Rodman 28

Rodman 28 Newbie

Name:
    Mark Stephen
    PLEASE!!!..Any baitfish attached to ANYTHING is INCUMBERED vs "Free Swimming"....The reverse logic of MANY on BD is Mind boggling. The baitfish has the ability to swim FAR FASTER then the drift speed of fishing line!!!!, let alone the 300 yards SOME are claiming to soak!!!...ALSO, Fishing with your reel in LOW GEAR!!!...is just "1" of your many MISTAKES!!....low gear is for the battle..."Straight Up n Down"!!!....Roockie!!!!....Mark

3. 2amguns

2amguns Newbie

Name:
    Tom Younce
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    WHAT IN THE F??????

I log on this morning and click on here, to this link for the l;atest from the X to see what's shaking and what are we all treated to?

A Pissing match about swimming, hydrodynamics, resistance, etc.

Jesus. It feels like a pysics class in here and not an update about the fishing on the big X at the bank.

Take your fight out behind this forum and let's just keep watching the reports from the boat on the conditions.

Dang. Crazy schtuff Mang.....................By the way....Fishyy you were awesome last night... I left the money on the night stand. Bwahashahahahaha

See, if you're going to poach a thread, do it with flare and comedy.,

4. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    Man, I stay away from these scientific threads from all you smart Kali boys, but if you have the shit down then why don't you get your own boat and do it the way you want instead of bitching at each other on a long range trip? Fucking sounds like a bunch of high schoolers on a sleepover. Have fun, and quit posting your little grievances towards each ther, or like I said. Man up buy a boat and do it yourself. Good Luck and tight lines for all you little bitches anyway. :finger:

5. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Where are the reports from Jim?

I have this feeling he is going to get on the board on this trip in a big way.

6. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Highliner
    I agree John, and although I miss his reports (and hate the nausea that is currently replacing them), it shows he is putting in his rail time.

7. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Agree. Put this crap elsewhere.

8. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    This thread was going so well before all this :shithappens: happened.

9. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Jim are you pined to the rail? Or running like mad to stay up with the Wahoo?
    Hope you are enjoying yourself out on the bank. How is the weather for you guys?

10. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Yes, Jim...who caught what today? How did they do it? Any other notable occurrences? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hopefully he is too busy pulling in his fifth super cow in a row.

- Jeff

11. 2amguns

2amguns Newbie

Name:
    Tom Younce
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I looked at the X'cel's site at 0430 today and there is still no update SOOOOOOOOOOOOO I am hoping they're all running back and forth and and down the rails chasing wild, chaotic feeshies.

Have fun guys and gals.

12. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Yup. Let's hope that Jim is too busy getting his ass dragged from one side of the boat to the other side of the boat on a nice fish.

13. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Put the wood to them Rodless! Make 'em pay! Hoping for your success.:)

ps "Long Range fisherman, 2 weeks of fishing a year, the rest of the time spent fighting in the forums..."

--Ali LOL

14. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    That's priceless!!! And to think I've been using dry sardines all this time...

Now Jim, please don't deny us any longer... All of are living vicariously off of your reports :).

15. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    From the Excel website.

Saturday, April 20 10:19 AM

The fish are here
    For the amount of fish you can see around the bank, they sure don't bite very good. We managed to pick off 27 tuna and seven wahoo for our first day. There were anglers fishing ALL night and never did get a bite. It's been all daytime fish for us with the afternoon being the best. Big fish of the day was about 175 pounds caught by Butch Wilson on the kite. We have six more days here and we are hoping that the big ones show up again. The weather is perfect now.

Reported by:Justin Fleck

Now we need it from Jim's perspective. :)

16. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Come on Jim ,
    Get That Cow !!!!!
    The suspense is killing us.
    Good Luck :)

17. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I hope they are in the middle of a late afternoon bite....

18. 2amguns

2amguns Newbie

Name:
    Tom Younce
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Hahahahahaha There is no arguing that statement.

19. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    OK, so I am online again at last. We've been fishing on the hook for a couple of days, and with the swinging of the boat, getting an internet signal has been impossible.

Justin's report summarizes the way things had been going to that point. It's been tough fishing, especially for me. I had two little tuna at Clarion, and literally nothing else. We came out here to Hurricane, and people started picking off a few tuna...with "pick" being the operative word. Just slow, slow fishing. Yesterday I had nothing at all, and the very few good sized fish that have been caught have been on the kite or on the balloon.

ASIDE: there are a few folks on board who are dedicated balloon anglers. There's scarcely any way for anyone else to get a balloon out there. Whenever I have considered it, there have already been four or five balloons drifting before I could begin to set myself up.

I have drowned a hundred sardines in innumerable ways. We've had some bad tangles, and we've had times when the fish just weren't biting, period.

Today was a bit different. We had a small hit on wahoo (I got a nice one on bait!), and we picked at those through the day too. A few of the kite fish were wahoo, for one thing, and people fishing bait for tuna got some as well. I only got the one on my wahoo bait rig, but I bet it went close to 50lbs.

The tuna started to make a little bit of a showing in the afternoon, and the kite, after a big, BIG lull, got hot too. Most of the fish were right at 80lbs or so, but nothing to sneer at. And people remain in good humor. Tangles are inevitable in these conditions if you choose to soak a sardine. I've been in my share! But I am pleased to say that MOST of the time, I was able to fish around the mess and keep my sardine swimming.

Fat lot of good THAT did me. As the sun was setting, we had about 25 tuna on the boat, and none of them were mine. Best was about 120lbs as far as I could tell.

My kite rotation finally came around right at sunset...or even a couple of minutes after. They tied two balloons to my kite rig, of different colors, hoping they would be visible going out. They weren't but it also didn't matter. My double trouble puffer rig got bit on the way out (I love when that happens), and in due course, in comes a tuna on the happy side of 100lbs. Yes John, already bigger than anything I caught on our Team 'Hoo trip.

Hey, that United Composites Gladiator is one HELL of a kite rod. If you're in the market, get your favorite builder to wrap you one. I recommend Ken Bush without reservation, but I am sure Salty Dawg will build you a beauty too if you want. Whomever you choose (or if you're Jeff or Min and you build it yourself), that is one awesome blank.

So we go in for dinner (GREAT coconut wahoo, for whoever cares), and Justin tells us he's marking fish around the boat. Maybe we'll get a hit after dinner if we want to try. Sure enough, people are already hooking up before I even get out there. And this is better grade.

I wasn't sure when I walked outside if I was even going to fish. I didn't know the bite was on...no one passed the word inside, and a lot of people had already gone to bed so they could get up early. But Jason Fleck was outside fishing for his own amusement, and I wanted to congratulate him on a dinner that really was pretty damned amazing. Serious Javier stuff, every bit as good. From where I'm sitting, that is petty high praise.

So I walk back and start talking to Jason, and here comes Brandon the deckie (one of the best, in my opinion, and a fantastic attitude). He has a boat setup in his hands, which he passes to me. "Here Jim, you're fishing," he says. My reply was sparkling, I admit: "Huh? Don't you want to fish it yourself?" No, what he wants to do is go eat, so I take the rod, which has a puffer on a sinker, and I think to myself "if I get bit, I am in deep shit, because I don't have my gloves, my knee pads, or even a fighting belt. I am just standing here holding an ATD 50W on a heavy ass boat rod."

OK, so I don't know how deep the bait is. I fish it slowly out until I must be 300 yards behind the boat. All the while, other people are hooking up. One at a time, with big breaks between, but there are fish biting. When I am sure the puffer is AT LEAST deep enough (and probably close to the bottom), I start the long slow retrieve. After about a minute, I think "this isn't working." So obviously, the next second I'm bit.

You know what? They like to fish pretty light drag on those setups. That damned fish very nearly spooled the ATD 50W. The back up was hooked to the reel three separate times, before I won enough line back to make it unlikely the reel was going for a swim. I got Jason to hold the rod while I got my gloves, but it wasn't a rail rod, and I had to fight it stand up. So I got my fighting belt, and fought the fish for a half an hour, and it's still 600 yards from the boat.

Finally, they strapped me into the harness and let me use my fat behind on it. That was my first ever time using the harness, and it does work. Of course getting all that line back was a steel plated bastard, but in the end I got it. It came up the next thing to dead. So was I, I think. I prefer fishing the rail!

There should be a photo up on the Excel Facebook page by now. Justin guesstimated it at 165lbs. I feel like it may be be just a little bigger. Maybe even pretty close to 200lbs. We'll see at the docks.

So from there, I went ahead and dropped a PL-68. I got a skippie on the way down, and gave it to another passenger to fish. I dropped it again for nothing at all, and realized that I wasn't up to grinding the big jig just yet. So I set up one of my Makaira 50s to fish the sinker rig (12oz of weight, 8/0 Mustad 4X Sea Demon Circle, with a rubber band and a 165lb class swivel).

Aside: John, I need more of those awesome barrel swivels you sold me!

I got Bundy to help me pin on a puffer (never did it before). I did one drop all the way down and one retrieve all the way up for nothing. I did it again, same result. Now the puffer is pretty dead, but what the heck...

BAM!!!! on the way down. This time I have my own 770XXXH and my Mak 50. 32lbs of drag at strike. 10-12 minutes later, here comes another hefty tuna. It's a little smaller than the earlier one, but with real drag and my fat butt on the rod at the rail, it was game over.

So now I have one little tunasickle in the freezer, along with a pretty fat wahoo, and three more tuna in the RSW, all over 100lbs, and one of them quite a bit bigger.

I was about to drop another puffer on the sinker rig when Justin told us to wind up. We needed to pull the anchor and go make as much bait as possible. That'a what the boat is doing now.

Listen, if you're coming out soon, the night sinker rig is your BEST FRIEND. Bring lots of lead, and be prepared to nap during the day. The bigger fish are feeding after dark, as far as we can tell. We see them jumping in the distance all day long, but they will NOT bite a hook until the sun sets. Wahoo are around and biting, but nothing wild or wide open so far.

As for skippies, I know that will turn on soon. Truth is, it looks like the big fish are following the skippies in a circle around the bank. Even so, no one has hooked a big fish on a skippie yet.

FYI: I was fishing a skippie LAST night, and I had a 5 second "drive by" by something damned big, but whatever it was spit the skippie before I could even think of putting the reel in gear. I bet the "man bait" will work, though, at some point in the next few days. Right now, though, a puffer on a sinker rig is as golden as it gets.

I'm sorry you all had to wait so long for this report. I'm afraid you may have to wait a couple of days for the next one too. When the boat is on the anchor, the signal just comes and goes. That's the truth of it. I promise I will report when I can. Right now we're drifting for bait, or I would still be locked out.

If you're getting ready to come fishing, you should be absolutely pumped. What we're seeing has to be just the beginning. This place is about to go OFF. I'm hoping that we see it before we have to head home, but the folks who come here in two weeks my very well find some of the best fishing they've ever seen.

Oh, final note: Justin has been very up front about us wanting to fish 80lbs and even 60lbs, depending on what he's marking. I don't have setups for either. Other skippers (and many of my friends!) say never drop below 100lbs, and I concur, but Justin, at least, sees a time for lighter gear here. Take it for what it's worth.

20. Rodman 28

Rodman 28 Newbie

Name:
    Mark Stephen
    THANKS 4 taking the time to report, very informative & detailed!!...Mark