Off We Go... Excel 17-day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I was going to post information on lessons learned, and I will, but I think I will start a new thread for that.

This much I can tell you: We all have friends going out tomorrow on Excel, and more going out in a couple of days on Intrepid. What I described during my trip reflected the conditions that we encountered while WE were there...in particular a night bite that often required heavy lead to get bit.

It looks now like the conditions have changed significantly. The bite is still scratchy, it seems (I expect that to change...there are big fish all over, and you know it's going to just go off really soon), but now it is a daytime bite, and the fish seem to be feeding much closer to the surface. People who buy a mountain of 12oz and 16oz sinkers may feel deceived, because they might not end up using them much if the current conditions prevail.

For me, there's just no way I am going on a cow trip ever again without at least six or eight 16oz torpedoes, and another six or eight 12ozers too. Plus sundry 6oz., 8oz., and 10oz. sinkers. That in addition to my normal complement of smaller sinkers. Will I expect to use them? Maybe not. Perhaps HOPEFULLY not. I would prefer to be able to flyline a bait in a more typical feeding pattern. I have had more success in those conditions.

But I will damned sure be READY for a hot night bite!

The other thing that I can say is that, no matter what the feeding pattern seems to be in general, I will always fish the pre-dawn and post-sunset periods at least SOME. Lots of big fish are caught in those slots. The PL-68 and the other big jigs (Sumo 7X, Tady 15) were productive too, and will continue to be so.

For everyone going out, tight lines!

For all who read this thread and (hopefully!) enjoyed it, thanks!

What's next, you ask? Well, I am on the waiting list for two April trips again next year, the same 17-day Ralph Mikkelsen charter on Excel, and a 16-day charter on Independence. My current plan is to sign up for whichever of those trips has an opening first.

In the meantime, I am going to haunt harddrive and shacl for the next couple of months, because I am already signed up to join them on their Summer 7-day...

:D

2. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    As I think most of you know by now, I ended up on the West Coast Marketing trip that leaves on March 25th. I make no promises with regard to on the water reports...but I probably will.

3. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Jim have a great trip. I just might see you out on the water. I leave March 21. I will be on the Intrepid. Say hi to woody for me..ok and the rest of the gang. Tell them Soda Pop say hi. I was on there SaltyDawg trip a little over a week ago.

4. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    That was on Excel, right? We're going on Independence.

5. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    O OK.......... Have a great trip.... be safe..... we still might be fishing near each other.