ratboy

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
From what I have read from California Department of Fish & Game, once a vessel is registered as a commercial vessel and given FG# it can never be registered back as a pleasure vessel. It can be used for commercial or sport fishing at anytime, there are regulations of what fish can be caught on commercial boat when sport fishing. For example you are not allowed to fish for sturgeon or striper in Northern California on a commercial FG# vessel for the fact DFG will think you are taking striper or white sturgeon commercially. There are probably different regulations down in southern California.
Not true! have to re register every season(April for commercial) and salmon is no sport take with a salmon permit(unless you are charter) so that is not correct you can fish sport if you are fishing sport and following sport regs...

ratboy

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
From what I have read from California Department of Fish & Game, once a vessel is registered as a commercial vessel and given FG# it can never be registered back as a pleasure vessel. It can be used for commercial or sport fishing at anytime, there are regulations of what fish can be caught on commercial boat when sport fishing. For example you are not allowed to fish for sturgeon or striper in Northern California on a commercial FG# vessel for the fact DFG will think you are taking striper or white sturgeon commercially. There are probably different regulations down in southern California.
you right be right about sf bay but not sure ocean is different.

joey997

Jan 19, 2020
Nevada City
Name
Joey Hernandez
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2150
Not true! have to re register every season(April for commercial) and salmon is no sport take with a salmon permit(unless you are charter) so that is not correct you can fish sport if you are fishing sport and following sport regs...
I was referring to the FG# number itself. When a boat is first registered with the DFG a vessel registration number is assigned to that vessel and cannot be transferred to any other boat. The FG# also stay with the boat for a lifetime of the boat once commercially registered. All commercial registration has to be renewed annually like you stated, just like a sport or commercial fishing license or car registration.

I attached a few links & screen shots from CA DFG website that states the law on the sale and transfer of commercial vessels that are not salmon or crab boats. If your looking for that info it can be found on the 156 pages of commercial laws and regulations for 2020. (link below)

I work as a commercial fisherman in district 11 & 13 mainly for halibut and only have the standard commercial license from DFG and do not have a commercial salmon stamp so I can sport fish for salmon on my FG vessel as long as I report in my log it was on sport fishing trip. It seems like a lot of people are currently trying to sell there commercial salmon permit and boat in northern California. I would like to purchase a commercial crab boat and crab license in the next 1-3 years.

I also attached a noticed CA DFG sent to all commercially registered vessel this year about retaining sturgeon and stripped bass. Which does not apply to commercial registered passenger fishing vessels operating with sport fishing passengers under a license in compliance with FGC 7920

In my opinion this whaler is an excellent boat, but the fact that it has been a commercial boat to me brings the resell value down if purchased by a sport fisherman for the fact they can never fish for sturgeon/striper which are the two largest fisheries in northern California other then salmon/halibut...Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
I was referring to the FG# number itself. When a boat is first registered with the DFG a vessel registration number is assigned to that vessel and cannot be transferred to any other boat. The FG# also stay with the boat for a lifetime of the boat once commercially registered. All commercial registration has to be renewed annually like you stated, just like a sport or commercial fishing license or car registration.

New owner could choose to not register and peel off fg numbers and be good to go, yeah?

I attached a few links & screen shots from CA DFG website that states the law on the sale and transfer of commercial vessels that are not salmon or crab boats. If your looking for that info it can be found on the 156 pages of commercial laws and regulations for 2020. (link below)

I work as a commercial fisherman in district 11 & 13 mainly for halibut and only have the standard commercial license from DFG and do not have a commercial salmon stamp so I can sport fish for salmon on my FG vessel as long as I report in my log it was on sport fishing trip. It seems like a lot of people are currently trying to sell there commercial salmon permit and boat in northern California. I would like to purchase a commercial crab boat and crab license in the next 1-3 years.

I also attached a noticed CA DFG sent to all commercially registered vessel this year about retaining sturgeon and stripped bass. Which does not apply to commercial registered passenger fishing vessels operating with sport fishing passengers under a license in compliance with FGC 7920

In my opinion this whaler is an excellent boat, but the fact that it has been a commercial boat to me brings the resell value down if purchased by a sport fisherman for the fact they can never fish for sturgeon/striper which are the two largest fisheries in northern California other then salmon/halibut...Just my 2 cents.

joey997

Jan 19, 2020
Nevada City
Name
Joey Hernandez
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2150
New owner could choose to not register and peel off fg numbers and be good to go, yeah?
You probably could but If you get stopped by DFG or boarded by coast guard and they run your CF I’m pretty sure the FG# will come up as it’s attached to your hull ID# best bet would be to call DFG and ask them what exact circumstances are when buying a used commercial boat for sport fishing. I know the FG# stays with the boat even if not currently commercially registered.

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
I used this vessel strictly for commercial rod and reel fishing that is why I have my FG #s presented. Although it is registered commercial, you can also recreational fish on the vessel as well (As far as I know).
I bought my 22’ whaler with a Honda 225 last October that was registered commercial and I have lobstered with it this past season recreationally. I haven’t taken off the numbers yet. At least 2 times fish and wildlife officers had noticed the FG number and asked about it. I said it was before I bought it but not anymore and they didn’t have issue with it. So I guess it’s ok. This is in San Diego.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2020
San Diego
Name
Charles
Boat
Grey Ghost
Yes, you can register it as a recreational fishing vessel (w/ the DMV) once purchased and remove the FG numbers. As of March 31st, the commercial registration with fish and wildlife will expire and I do not plan to re-register it with fish and wildlife for the upcoming year since I am trying to sell the vessel. If you were to ever decide to re-register the boat as a commercial fishing vessel (w/ the DMV and DFW) in the future, the same numbers that are displayed now will need to be displayed.