Off the beaten path in North Baja

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by greenscales, Oct 3, 2019.

1. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Sorry - no pics, solo trip. Took the yak down last week and allowed weather to dictate locations - BoLA had TStorms - so stopped in Punta Baja. A fish a drop on structure if there were marks and current. They were feeding on red crab, so any jig or Lucanus style w/red or orange and glow. Didn’t keep a red under 5 lbs, plus a few other larger RF models and a 10lb goat. Also used TD Bullet Minnows, but the grumpies and Calicos were to aggressive in the upper water column to get down to Lings or when I threw at what looked liked breezing YTs. Even lost a Scrambled Egg TD to a double hook up of two 5lb Calis. I was being stupid and trying to grab the hook w/pliers w/o a gripper on a fish and nicked the line - then watched the 2 fish swim away fighting over the lure. No big Lings, but did snag a 20+ goat n the tail w/a bass rod and an old Calcutta 400, but released it since i already had 1 goat and they don’t freeze well.

This place gets almost no sport fishing, and the 1 place on the point w/rooms (Chuy’s) had a Cerrado sigh on it, so I dry camped on 20’ of dry sand under a cliff and was woke to pangas launching 10’ from my tent at sunrise every morning. Current rips, water is cold, launch/landing is precarious, and it gets windy - but a ton of bio-mass in that water.

Headed back to the 1 in El Rosario and forecast for BoLA went from summer Humid to fall offshore winds - so went up to Santo Tomas and fought wind again the first day w/YTs to far to chase in the Yak and busted off a nice WSB in the kelp that bit under a school of Slimies. Rained on 2nd morning but cleared and had more fantastic rock fishing, but the YT were gone. Next day launched between swells and had to use the commercial panga launch South to land 4 hours later w/20 knot sustained winds. But spent time w/the owner of PST, Sammy, whose 86 years young - and that conversation and the view topped the trip off.

6 days in Baja and I fished the yak each one, even though a few I shouldn’t have. No exotics - but came back w/limits of large and premium eating fish. Considering this trip was exactly 1 year since I shattered my clavicle on a bicycle and I hadn’t fished more than 1 day in a week until now, I think easy fishing was better than getting into YTs or groupers in the Cortez this time around.

2. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Have fished both places with my beach launched 12' aluminum skiff. Old school Baja stuff for sure. Thanks for sharing and good report.

3. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Love PST. Sam is a great guy. I have been in the big house when the swell was so big at the launch, the windows rattled.

Hence the panga launch.

PST has been a 50/50 yak launch no matter what the weather report says. One moment it's flat, next it's upside down.

4. sdrepairman

sdrepairman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks for the report

5. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Almost preferred it when it was chocked with kelp - stabilized the wind chop. Always torn w/using a 3/4 season tent on the ground and deal w/the ants or risk the cool breeze with the tent cot. But the scenery is surreal. One of my biggest issues there is when the Grays are migrating, can’t even fish the various mid-channel reefs because they’re oblivious to me in the kayak.

6. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Envious of the skiff, regret when my dad and I sold ours w/the truck top lift. But then I would have got in trouble in the Baja w/it chasing fish offshore. Can’t imagine what could be targeted 4x4ing w/the right tin boat config and modern gps/sonar systems to some of the more secluded spots in the Bajas. Just look at Rossman in Asunción.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  7. patoloco

patoloco Newbie

Name:
    sancho
    Boat:
    cobra
    Any word on Chuey's rentals at Pta. Baja?

8. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    I tried asking around and between my limited Spanish and the limited English spoken in the point, I couldn’t get a clear answer. The outside area where they do the dishes and have the ice chests was barren and looked unused for a while. But some of the solar panels must have been working since the light upstairs appeared to be on a timer. I thought a few said he did a restaurant in El Rosario, but couldn’t get info there either. A young lady opened up a dining area across the road from Chuy’s 2 months ago, and I doubt the area can handle more than 1. So he’s likely closed for good. But that’s conjecture. Ed Lusk in El Rosario is looking at doing something on the point w/bunks, a Panga, and kayaks.

surf launch likes this.
  9. Leslie. Christensen

Leslie. Christensen El Chivito

Name:
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat:
    Ponga
    Is that the house, converted garage rooms above, ? It's closed? Always liked to go out for lunch , play around cast a bit, White House

10. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Yes. Closed while I was there. Don’t know for how long. There’s a restaurant across the road from it.

Leslie. Christensen likes this.
  11. Leslie. Christensen

Leslie. Christensen El Chivito

Name:
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat:
    Ponga