Offshore Off shore report 6/7/2020

Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Our original plan was to go up to La Jolla just to look around. Last minute we decided to run off shore. Fished with my buddy Victor on his little 21 foot center console. We knew it was going to be ruff. Our new plan was to run out to the 302 and go from there. Left Point Loma at 5:00 got bait and made a few Mac’s by 5:30 we were on our way took it easy on the way out trying to conserve our bait. We got to the 302 around 8:30 we didn’t see a whole lot going on found several dry paddy’s water temperature dropped the best we found all day was 65.
Decided to go down to the 371 between the 302 and 371 we spotted a decent school of bluefin up splashing around. We made a few attempts but these fish were fast moving and would stay well out of casting distance. We didn’t have the kite or any flyers but I think if we did our day might have went a little different. We saw lots of Marks and decided to just shut down we chunked and threw ones and twos.Fished mackerel and sardines way back for nothing. We had all of our stuff in line to fish the islands as a fall back plan. So after stopping on a few more dry kelps we ran in and fished the north island.
The funniest thing happened my buddy tied on a brand new Salas 7x in bird poop makes a long cast up tight to the north island and ask me Darryl how fast do u usually wined these jigs as the words are coming out a big yellow wrecked his jig. I replied did that answer your question. Unfortunately this fish eventually ended up rocking him and seemed to be the only biting fish besides a few bass. Called it a day about 3:00 other than it being windy and choppy still a nice day on the water.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks for the report. Been looking for any posts for those zones and it seems like the fish are not there yet. Going fishing in 2 weeks and was planning to fish 302 but if things dont pick up will go to Catalina. 2 hour drive with truck and trailer to SD or 35 mins to fish Catalina that is the question.

Reactions: ltran0614
Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Every day is different my buddy did well mid last week out that way they managed 10 decent yellows and one bluefin around 130 pounds on the yummy flyer random blow up. We did see a large spot of breaking fish they wanted nothing to do with us but they were there. Who knows what two weeks from now will look like. I think the kelps being empty had to do with the water temperature most of the day all we saw was 63 or 64 degree water. The warmest we found was 65.

Upvote 0