dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
Hey guys,

I’m pretty new to hunting and got really into the waterfowl thing this year. Had a tough season, but it was a lot of fun since I was learning a ton on each trip. Now that it’s the off season and ducks are all I can think about, I was wondering if you could recommend any magazines or books that would be good to a new CA waterfowl hunter? I’m looking to learn as much as I can between fishing trips before the opener next fall.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Join Ducks Unlimited, California Waterfowl and Delta Waterfowl. You'll get their excellent year round publications and do something to actually preserve our hunting rights and areas. Those three organizations do more actual work to preserve habitat than all of the pillow biting tree huggers combined...

Upvote 0

Wisterholic

Jan 29, 2008
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
NA
You'll learn like the rest of us addicts that Feb - October is the worst. Everyday I'm at the beach in the summer but all I can think about is folding ducks and geese. Try to stay busy and try not to think about hunting too much. I always feel bored after duck season, can't wait til the 3rd week of October.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Dave,

If you haven't purchased any equipment, PM me as I'm about to sell most of my waterfowl gear. I'd prefer it go to someone just getting started

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Poor guy! :rofl:

Do you do the whole refuge/club thing or are you a freelancer?
Different needs for each in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Maunsell

Maunsell
Aug 3, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ian
Boat
13' Hobie Revo, layout boat
I also picked up duck hunting recently and got absolutely hooked. Last July I couldn't stand it anymore and tracked down a couple dozen sprig and widgeon decoys that were about to get thrown away at a duck club I had been a guest at. I spent the next few weeks killing my day dreams of shooting birds by repainting all the decoys. Not only was it a great little hobby, but last season was the first time I had ever freelanced, picked my spot, set up my own blind and decoys, froze my ass off, etc. It was pretty rewarding when I finally got to watch birds coming into land with the decoys I had re-painted.

It isn't quite offseason reading, but it sure did kill time and was a great way to fill out a spread.

Upvote 0