Off season arts and crafts

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Getting ready for more SPJ next season so started tying assay hooks.

Got Hitena 225# Kevlar, Mustad ultrapoint hooks, krystal flash, Coats and Clarks glow in the dark thread and uv epoxy.

Just getting started, so my quality will improve. Cats can be at other end of the house but single can hear thread and come running. They have to "help". Got a nail drying UV light of Amazon.

20201205_124747.jpg

20201205_124809.jpg

20201205_124826.jpg

20201205_124850.jpg

Upvote 0

Master Chief

• Aug 18, 2009
    Sedro Woolley, Washington
    Name
    Chad Lukehart
    Boat
    Alumacraft Navigator Sport 185, ETEC 150, Duckworth Offshore 26
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those. I have picked up all the supplies and a new super nice vise from Greg’s retirement sale so I can do a bunch of trolling flies and bucktails, now I guess I will need to break out the assist hook supplies and follow your lead!

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I’ll take a dozen :). I decided that come September, the Fathom 40NLD2 with 80# braid to 130# mono to a 250-300 gram jig will be the only rig I jig!

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"

Got Hitena 225# Kevlar, Mustad ultrapoint hooks, krystal flash, Coats and Clarks glow in the dark thread and uv epoxy.

Just getting started, so my quality will improve. Cats can be at other end of the house but single can hear thread and come running. They have to "help". Got a nail drying UV light of Amazon.

View attachment 1231348

View attachment 1231349

View attachment 1231350

View attachment 1231351
    Don't go there, don't, don't, don't!!! It never stops. I have a couple three vises laying around. Tools, bobbins, scissors, more bobbins, whip finishers which I don't use as I use my fingers, more bobbins, good desk lights and then there's the materials. Thread, flash, feathers, more feathers, fur, more fur, hooks, synthetic dubbing, more of it, chicken necks....it's endless. Plus hooks. Of course I was tying flies but man you walk out of a fly shop with a little teeny, tiny bag of stuff that just cost you $50....sheesh, it's way, way cheaper to buy ready made. Thank God I developed a bad case of tendonitis practicing casting for a trip to Belize several years ago so have kind of dropped out of fly fishing.....for now. MIght try tossing a bug at a tuna but my largest weight rod is a Sage 10wt. An albacore would probably tear it apart. Huhhhhh now I'm starting to think about it. I have a bunch of Shock & Awe flies that would be subsurface that I'd use a sinking line on. But I wonder if a surface fly would work, a popper or something. That'd be a gas.

Just funnin....It's great fun tying up stuff and keeps the mind working but it's a never ending dark hole to toss money at. Just like a boat. Just like tuna gear.

Upvote 0

RazorJack

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2013
    Hansville, WA
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    19' Arima SR
    Don't go there, don't, don't, don't!!! It never stops. I have a couple three vises laying around. Tools, bobbins, scissors, more bobbins, whip finishers which I don't use as I use my fingers, more bobbins, good desk lights and then there's the materials. Thread, flash, feathers, more feathers, fur, more fur, hooks, synthetic dubbing, more of it, chicken necks....it's endless. Plus hooks. Of course I was tying flies but man you walk out of a fly shop with a little teeny, tiny bag of stuff that just cost you $50....sheesh, it's way, way cheaper to buy ready made. Thank God I developed a bad case of tendonitis practicing casting for a trip to Belize several years ago so have kind of dropped out of fly fishing.....for now. MIght try tossing a bug at a tuna but my largest weight rod is a Sage 10wt. An albacore would probably tear it apart. Huhhhhh now I'm starting to think about it. I have a bunch of Shock & Awe flies that would be subsurface that I'd use a sinking line on. But I wonder if a surface fly would work, a popper or something. That'd be a gas.

Just funnin....It's great fun tying up stuff and keeps the mind working but it's a never ending dark hole to toss money at. Just like a boat. Just like tuna gear.

I got an albacore over the summer with a floating line and a topwater pattern. Very doable. It wasn't a popper technically, but more of a slider. I had tied it to mimic those anchovies that skim along the surface on occasion when chumming. It worked like a charm. Fly fishing is my passion, and I've caught an awful lot of fish on the bug rod, but that was easily the coolest take I've ever experienced. Highly recommend giving it a shot.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
    Sep 9, 2013
    Carnation
    www.metropolitandetail.com
    Name
    Benjamin
    Boat
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'

View attachment 1231348

View attachment 1231349

View attachment 1231350

View attachment 1231351
    Add a twist when slipping your solid ring on, will increase tensile strength

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    I had some clones someone gave me a few years ago. They were pretty ugly, so I'm dressing them up a bit.

Before
    IMG_4069.JPG

After, with friends for added bling.
    IMG_4070.JPG

I based this one on Larry 2's 'Gay Pride' x-rap. I'm sure Rapala will re-name it that any day now!

IMG_4071.JPG

Upvote 0