Of All the Penn Reels you own which is your Favorite

Apr 23, 2017
Arcadia,Ca.
Name
Michael Convey
Boat
no boat
My wife just scored a Penn 49 at an antique store in Oregon for $35. It's in great shape, still shines! Not familiar w it yet. It has an extra lever for drag, thinking this would be a good trolling reel?? Cant's wait to learn about it and use it.
Anyone have any input on this?View attachment 868079
thats a mariner at least it looks like that great reel can't believe its in that good of shape worth a lot more than 35

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Can't resist weighing in on is one. Although the recent tuna bite at Guadalupe Island have made the International 16VISX [if they are biting well] and Torque TRQ40NLD2 [if they re not] are my faves for that location, and indispensable tools for the fortunate anglers who go there, in the end I'm jut an old-school long-rod surface iron tosser. I caught my very first surface iron yellow at age 13 off the Malihini in 1967 [Captain Dwight Pollard]. As such, IMO the star-drag Torque TRQ25N is the best surface iron reel ever made. I loved my Newells back in the day, but the TRQ's "Live Spindle" makes it cast better than aluminum-spool Newells, and 99-percent as good as graphite spool versions. Once the fish actually bites, you have all of the finest modern stuff, from drag to gears to "Made in USA". I have both a "stock" 6-1 version, and also a "geared down" 4.8-1 version. Truth be told, I prefer the 6-1 model, but do need to check myself if I start cranking too fast during a hot bite.

fasteddie2

Feb 28, 2013
ontario
Name
ed
Boat
tiburon
Favorite Pen reel, for what??
#1 Live bait, Penn mag 2
# 2casting iron? Penn mag 2
3manipuling a popper penn battle 6000
#*4reeling yo yo jigs baja special
#5 jigging game Penn Phatom 25n

lasparky11

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
My Cal built LT6, I don't leave home without it. Fish 40-60# live bait plus it's a great yoyo reel.

LT6.jpg

Last edited:

nefarious235

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Slammer III

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Baja Special... simple, strong, made in usa
525 Mag... excellent caster, beefy drags, landed a 40# class BF on it this year, made in usa
Jigmaster... the hot rod of all hot rods, the mods are endless, made is usa ( at least the older ones that are still a dime a dozen )
Baja Specials are great. I have 3, and they can't be beat for best combination of modern technology and beautiful craftsmanship of the whole reel, but particularly the bakelite side plates. How many of you know exactly how the tool and die guys do that? Don't bullshit me, how many of you know exactly? Also love my first generation Torques in all three sizes, beasts! THEN, my 16VSX hot-rodded by Cal and Eric Sheets. A winch, yet you can cast a sardine. Mine has 600 yards of 100# Cortland hollow, plus a 30 yard topshot. Also love my MTL specials.

Reactions: FishAcquisition