Odile gone, What about Polo

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by backlashjack, Sep 17, 2014.

1. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Looks like hurricane Odile has run its' course - wreaking havoc - and soon will be gone. We have a new one building up TS Polo. Any ideas on how Polo will effect LR boats fishing next week?

2. Artois

Artois Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    Not Given
    Its going to be a Loooooong fall.

3. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Hope the hurricane season ends soon. I think Oct. is when they end.... I have a 15 day Oct. 17..... we are going 2 weeks latter this year. Last year it got a bit shaky out on the water.

4. Nuclieye

Nuclieye Member

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Water Missle
    Got all the way down to the lower banks several years ago only to have a tropical depression that was forecast to dissipate quick turn into a cat % almost overnight and came straight at us. Couple of days we were not allowed on deck at all and we thought the fishing was over for sure. Kevin made the right calls and we ended up catching plenty of fish and turned the trip around 180. I don't regret that trip a bit and loved the experience. Its rarely a perfect trip no matter when you go or what boat you take. Enjoy it though!

5. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    That first long trip is all about timing the weather. First boat down, weather permitting, can get in to nice fishing. This year I am rolling the dice on a month later, in late November. Good luck to Soda Pop and the Intrepid.

nick17yz likes this.
  6. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    Polo appears to be on track to head out to sea about halfway up the Baja coast on Sunday and track further northwest after that. Im on a 6 day leaving Sat morning so Hopefully there wont be any problems aside from a swell and maybe a strong breeze. As long as it doesnt get close to the coast Im good with the rest cus those folks down there could certainly use a break

Bottom Line likes this.
  7. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Latest images...

1503985_10152713805487320_3080918064103928262_n.jpg

10687090_10152713805552320_3346466663816062678_n.jpg

john e. likes this.
  8. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    great looks like its already making the turn

Bottom Line likes this.
  9. The Bushman

The Bushman The Bushman

Name:
    Ken Bush
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    As long as its gone by the 27th, ill be happy. Looks like its headed out west before it affects trips this week.

10. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I'm not worried about Polo now. Whatever it becomes and wherever it goes, the storm should be gone---one way or another---by the 27th or 28th.

I am just hoping against hope that no other storm forms on its heels.

11. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Wish Rodless and Bushman luck on the weather and also the people of Baja. I don't remember being this many hurricane on the west coast in forever.

12. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Hurricane season ends on Nov 30 in the eastern Pacific. With the very high water temps this year it looks like all the trips will have to keep an extremely close eye on any potential tropical system development(as well as bait issues in current 80-88 deg water temps heading down south)
    It looks like Polo is expected to take a more westerly turn after Saturday. Hopefully nothing develops immediately after that. I leave on the 26th also for a 6 day.

Going to be a interesting fall -fishing and weather wise.

wxdunn likes this.
  13. wxdunn

wxdunn Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    What Andre said. :) I cover the latest on Polo in my weekly video update:

http://www.thefishingweatherman.com/index.php/videos/37-weekly-video-update

On my 5-day last week, Norbert kept the entire LR fleet from heading down the coast. Guys on 7 & 8 day trips were fishing SCI and Catalina for tuna because there was nowhere else to go and it was the best game in town. FORTUNATELY they had that option. Every year is different, every trip is different. Don't ever book a trip with the expectation of fishing a particular destination or catching a particular species of fish...just roll with the conditions!

14. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Hurricanes not fun, but the Captains watch them closely, you may not go where expected, but the Captains will try to keep you on the fish wherever he takes you. Water and winds can get a little rough.

15. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    latest from noaa shows Polo heading away from baja over the next couple of days and weakening to a trop depression by monday moving wnw

16. Hana pa'a Time

Hana pa'a Time Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    24' North River Seahawk hardtop "Ohana Time"
    X3!

I know that Odile wreaked havoc on Cabo and other parts of Baja. My buddy had his skipper with his family and others move the boat over to Mazatlan. They are loading the boat up with supplies and will be heading back to Cabo to help this week.

17. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Well Polo is headed away from the fishing grounds and that's good news. Seems like a new Tropical Depression is beginning to form down by the Isthmus of Panama, though. To my uneducated eye, this one seems too far away and too nascent a storm to trouble us on our upcoming 8-day. It's a long way South, and it isn't even officially a Tropical Depression yet, according to NOAA. In any case, the building Storm hasn't yet earned a name.

But I am not a meteorologist, and what matters is where the damned thing will be 7-10 days from now. I'm crossing my fingers...

18. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Hi Jim , that system probably will be named later today- Rachel. Moving w/nw at 10 mph. models right now have it mostly way west off southern tip by this weekend.
    I wouldn't worry about it. couple models turning it west after that. But it bears watching for sure. This weekend there is going to be a stronger upper level low coming moving into the great basin , might be a little windy this weekend in upper zone- but may also block any possible northward movement of Rachel if it decides to move more northerly instead of westerly.

rachel 2.gif rachel.gif

19. wxdunn

wxdunn Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    It looks to be in an area SW of Cabo by this weekend...still pretty far out. As we know with tropical systems (we've had plenty of opportunities to watch them this year) a lot can happen between here and there!

Capture.JPG

Tim Turis likes this.
  20. sierraed

sierraed Long rods and big boats

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris and Intrepid
    Looking forward to more of the great analysis Chris. Lot's of us trying to kick off the 10 day season later this week! Thanks for all of the insight.

Ed

wxdunn likes this.