sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
The six day charter I had planned on the Spirit of Adventure was cancelled, it would have been my first LR trip, now I have been looking at other trips and see a lot of Sponsored ones. So the thought came, is it acceptable, or looked down upon to use/wear gear that is not of the Sponsors making/brand.

I am assuming it would be fine, but at the same time I know a sponsor would generally prefer you to have caught with their gear, or worn their gear, especially if the catch was photographed and publicized within the fishing community.

For instance, if I booked a trip on a Seeker/Avet charter, but brought all Calstar rods and Penn reels...Would I be asked to fish some of the loaner gear the sponsors brought, over my own personal gear?

Just wanted to know, thanks for any input.

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Not at all! I recently went on a trip sponsored by my buddy at avet, and he welcomed me aboard even though I fish mostly okuma. Though I made sure not to pimp okuma while on board! Lol

otownjoe

rail hugger
Mar 6, 2012
Orlando
Name
Joe
Boat
big one with a high rail
One of the reasons they sponsor trips is to open your eyes to their products. . If everyone on the trip used only their gear there would be nobody to convert. but the most important thing to remember is you are booking your trip with the boat not the sponsor. Pick a trip that fits your schedule and what you want to fish for first.

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
We fish the Avet sponsored trip on the Indy. We have nothing but Shimano. They are all real nice guys and could care less. The one cool thing they do is breakdown, clean, and replace drag washers on anyone's Avets on the trip down. Not sure if that's the norm, but I think it's a nice benefit.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Scott,

Bummer to hear your trip was cancelled. Regarding your inquiry, I've been on many manufacturer sponsored trips. Never had a problem using other gear or clothing. The boat doesn't even mind if you wear other boat shirts...

Have fun!

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: sierraazuel

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Thank you for the input gentlemen, all of you are on the same page and have helped further my LR knowledge, now I just need to decide which trip to book.....

-Scott

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
...The boat doesn't even mind if you wear other boat shirts...

I am not sure that is 100% true. I've heard some good-natured grumbling, but that's really all it was. In general, though, no, they don't care. A shirt is a shirt.

As for gear, what I have found is that a sponsor will encourage you to try their gear to see if it works better for you...and they are especially helpful to people who don't have a lot of gear of their own, and are looking to decide what to buy. But that's all to the good, really.

Most of all, you can be sure that everyone aboard (or almost everyone) will be eager to help and share. We're all so proud of our gear...

:)