October 25, 2012 Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii. There is definitely no shortage of bait at this point in time. Flying fish are seemingly everywhere and small tunas have been hanging out on the backside of Lanai. Although some bait-size tunas are present, the blue marlin bite has been slow.

[​IMG]
    Mary Ozegwich caught the only blue marlin of the past two weeks. The 201 lb fish ate a blue super ninja lure on the long rigger.

The first week of October produced a couple of strange catches. Sailfish don't often come out to Hawaii even though they're not rare in other parts of the Pacific. Four sailfish have come into Lahaina Harbor this year, three of which were caught in a six-day span.
    [​IMG]
    Joyce Denys had a solid hookup on her 65 lb sailfish. The fish inhaled a small lure rigged with a claw hook.
    [​IMG]
    These anglers came to Hawaii all the way from Italy and Canada. They had a triple bite immediately after the sun rose and came away with two sailfish. The last time a boat from Lahaina Harbor caught two sailfish in the same day was in the year 1993.

A good day of fishing is enough to get anyone hooked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Lovell group slayed mahis two days in a row.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Coots went out on a very successful trip last year and went out twice this year, catching some nice fish on both trips.

The buoys have been holding mahis from time to time so every boat is putting forth considerable effort to catch live or fresh bait. Most opelu are caught at night but they can also be caught at dawn. Having quality bait onboard has led to productive mahi fishing on a number of occasions lately.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 37 lb bull mahi on the right had an old wound that appeared to be inflicted by a marlin bill. The bill had obviously penetrated the entire mahi but the fish survived.
    [​IMG]
    Kevin Kappel also fought a nice shark that was hooked in the tail.

With technique and determination, anyone can catch a game fish. These kids proved that they have what it takes to catch fish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lady luck got these ladies some bites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The onos start to thin out as the year progresses but there are still a few around. The most productive area has been the shallow waters between Lanai and Molokai.
    [​IMG]
    Going one for two on onos minutes out of the harbor is not a bad way to start the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Molokai produced some quality onos for these anglers.

Thanks for taking a look at this Start Me Up fishing report. If there are any questions about the fishing, feel free to contact Deli in Start Me Up's Lahaina Harbor booth at 808-667-7879 or [email protected]. Until next time, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    Nice, wish I was in Maui right now.

3. caseyfisherman@

caseyfisherman@ Newbie

Name:
    casey
    Boat:
    5x5 pallet, tahitian drifter
    Shooooots Jonny! nice wrap up of the month.... gonna try in a few dayz around here hope to hit up "C" n down to see if we can find something willing to snap. maybe "F" too! thanks again for da killa pic's n report! get summm! I have a few friends coming over soon and will try n set you up. u do "share" trips or only full charters? you can PM n let me kno. jus 2 of em coming this trip. before christmas.