DH10

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
My Niece is getting married in SoCal on October 15. I am thinking of doing a 1.5 or 2.5 day trip with my wife, any recommendations on which boat? We have fished Mexico, Panama and Belize and caught lots of tuna and dorado, but never done an overnight trip.

Thanks--Dave

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Pomona Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console
My Niece is getting married in SoCal on October 15. I am thinking of doing a 1.5 or 2.5 day trip with my wife, any recommendations on which boat? We have fished Mexico, Panama and Belize and caught lots of tuna and dorado, but never done an overnight trip.

Thanks--Dave

for 1.5 day trips I would head out of San Diego. I like the New Lo An and Eclipse. New lo An the parking kinda sucks for the landing but the boat is great they seem to always kill fish. Eclipse is at seaforth landing which has tons of parking and a Chef (not a cook) so the food is pretty awesome, they also have a soda fountain to get drinks from vs cans of drinks. Fishing is great with both boats.

If Shogun is offering any 1.5 or 2.5 day trips that would also be an awesome boat to get on. they typically do long range trips but occasionally they do 1.5 - 3 day trips.

Should be a good season so you have a very good chance at good fishing at that time. Last year I was getting Yellows and Bluefin in October.

bob1825

Apr 11, 2007
San Fernando Valley
Name
Jason
Boat
Anyone the fits my schedule
I'm a huge fan of the Ocean Odyssey for this length of trip. Visit pointlomasportfishing, fishermanslanding, hmlanding and seaforthlanding .COMs and find a trip that fits your dates and take it from there. Good luck and I hope we read an awesome fish report from you in October!

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
The middle of October is a long way off, and I sure hope that there will still be boats running offshore then. The boats suggested above are all good, and I would add the Condor out of Fisherman's Landing. It is a big, stable platform and they fish hard, and the bunks, galley and bathrooms are as good as on the boats fishing longer trips. Your wife would approve. And they do a lot of 1.5 trips, which is a great way to fish offshore for the first time since you sleep on the way out, fish hard for twelve hours, and sleep coming back.

Since you are coming from out of the state, I recommend that you have a fish processor meet you at the dock to take care of your fish for you. They will vacuum-seal your perfect fillets and ship them to you at your home. The Condor and most of the other boats now have refrigerated sea water holds to keep the fish in excellent condition, and you will be very happy with the resulting meals.

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Since it will be you and your wife, you should look at boats that offer 2 person staterooms, rather than a couple bunkrooms.

I would be hesitant to subject my wife to that environment.

You might pay a little more, but your wife's enjoyment would go up exponentially.

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
If you want a better chance at "gettin em" go on a 2.5 instead of a 1.5 dayer.
That time of year most(not all) are doin longer fall trips so you're choices might be limited. Look at Sea Adventure 80 and Top Gun 80 as they also offer staterooms that might offer you a more enjoyable time for the 2 of you.
If you just want a quick try at fishin these water and aren't too worried about "having to catch something" ,,,then there will be more options of 1.5 day trips available.
GOOD LUCK and do give your report here.