Offshore Oceanside95 Weekend Wrap 08/22/21

BarryFree

Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!
Sep 26, 2007
Moreno Valley, California
Name
Barry
Boat
Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
IMG_1656.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg

South Bay Anglers Club went on the Oceanside95 for a 2 day fishing adventure in US waters. Checked in with Matt and confirmed my earlier bunk request F8 (Fate). Weather was good and the plan was to fish for BFT/YFT day one and YT and Dodo's via patty hopping day two. I bagged three Bluefin and five dorados. I also was fortunate enough to be picked up by a marlin on a rubber band sinker rig fishing for tuna with 40# flouro. I was a hero for about 5 minutes, all the aerial acrobatic moves proved too much for the flouro, which chaffed off. I cutoff the chaffed line retied and was on another big bite right away and the line broke. I failed to check for chaffing further up my super long flouro leader and the marlin won again. Being bit often, I used 2/0 ringed gamakatsu circle hook (smaller the better) tied to Xtremebraid 80# braid, 40# Xtremebraid flouro leader for tuna and 25# for YT and Dodo. Caught all on live bait, shoulder hook, nose hook and belly hook except for one tuna on a 60-colt sniper brown ahi jig. I found myself re-tying often especially with the jumping dodo's as there was a lot line chaffing going on. Hooks, knots (San Diego Jam Knots) and double uni knot worked flawlessly. Only one that got away was due to chaffing from marlin.
Special thanks to the crew aboard the O95 Capt. Rick, Galley Jesus, Marcello and Chapo who kept us on the fish and our bellies happy. We had plenty of room 24 angler on a 95-foot boat. I had a couple of bunks. Almost lost a fishing rod when a senior crashed between us while we were untangling, forgiven for he was on a fish too. Nevertheless, I met a lot folks and made new friends. Most of the anglers were seasoned anglers thus we had a blast! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
The bottom bunks in the rear staterooms of the O95, ex New Salty Dog, were the place to be. Even in rough weather, a guy could hibernate in those.

Reactions: BarryFree
Upvote 0

BarryFree

Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!
Sep 26, 2007
Moreno Valley, California
Name
Barry
Boat
Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
The bottom bunks in the rear staterooms of the O95, ex New Salty Dog, were the place to be. Even in rough weather, a guy could hibernate in those.
Cool, I picked middle bunk close to stern. Found bunking layouts here for several Socal boats. Google: Boat-Bunk-Layouts-Rev-6-April-2018

Upvote 0