Oceanside Ninety Five

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by geedavell, Jun 9, 2019.

1. geedavell

geedavell Newbie

Name:
    Gene DAvella
    Boat:
    AB
    Anyone fish the O-95 lately?
    I don't see a
    lot of reports on 976 or any other websites.
    Hoping to go out this Wednesday

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    Check with Kens Custom Reels.
    I brt they know whats been going on!

3. wildbunch

wildbunch MOFO

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23' "Hardcore"
    I am going Friday night. BIG bite is coming. Capt Rick will find them. GO!!!!! :skullbone :Zombie_Ro

4. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    I’m not going to bad mouth anyone’s rig but I myself wouldn’t ride that boat again. Some like it some don’t. Just my 2 cents.

embo, arkansastuna and ol' salt like this.
  5. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    O95 is a great ride when they get off the dock unfortunately and number of times they don't get enough people to make the Run

ol' salt likes this.
  6. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    I fished that boat a lot back in the day. Did they ever put RSW in it? Spent a lot of days/nights at San Clemente on her

Hamachi_Kama likes this.
  7. skang357

skang357 Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    The Kangsta
    I would avoid this boat. This one of the of 4 or 5 boats I saw yesterday when I fished the El Capitan and got skunked.

Fished a socalled third area of bft that was 80 to 90 miles south of pt loma with very little boats in the area, away from the fleet I'm sure they did as bad as us. Plus I think the captain of that boat is a friend of El Capitan captain. IE old dude network.

Best boats in SD are Pac Queeen, NLA, Tomahawk, Condor, Aztec, Liberty, San Diego, Pride, Tribute, Voyager and Pac Voyager, maybe Pegasus. Stick with successful captains. These trips are expensive make it worthwhile

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    What a little cry girl shit talker you are! You didn’t catch a fish on your last trip and now you are bad mouthing boats you never been on? What a pussy you are! I have fished 10 of the those “best boats” you mentioned and have had crappy trips on all but one of them. But I wouldn’t bad mouth them on an open forum. And you wouldn’t believe some of the crap that happened on some of those trips!

To the OP: I have had two of my best bluefin trips ever on the O95 recently. It’s early season and Dan is right; sometimes they can’t get off the dock. But when the fish are close enough to Oceanside and biting, good luck trying to get on.

998R, tony1, RockHopperNCKA and 19 others like this.
  9. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :appl::appl:

dstinger, fly liner and Mickdick like this.
  10. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    It’s a cheaper overnight, but it comes at a cost since they leave the zone earlier to get back to Oceanside because of the distance. So if it’s an early morning bite - you’ll catch fish. If the bite is later- you won’t because the boat will be headed back. They leave back often around noon while the other boats have a few extra hours to look. It’s an older slower boat.

11. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    Just my two cents. If it's a bluefin trip and the fish are 50-90 miles south of San Diego then I take a boat out of SD. Much more fishing time.

mrteddyfresh likes this.
  12. NorCalSoCalIDC

NorCalSoCalIDC Member

Name:
    Ernie Gorham
    Boat:
    11' SportCat Truline
    I like the O'95. I used to live in Vista so it was by far the closest and 1.5 days were $250 vs the $350+ of the SD boats. There's also infinite free parking, and it is 95' which is significantly longer that some others. That being said, their average count could be lower for a few reasons that seem logical:

-Worse anglers. Some may argue this but I think the better anglers with the nicer gear don't mind splurging the extra money.

-Possibly worse bait. Having good bait can be KEY when fishing these pesky bluefin and sometimes SD/Mission Bay just have better bait. That's not always the case though.

-When the fish are south they do get less time in the zone. However with the full day boats getting them currently I wouldn't worry about that. (on a 1.5 at least, for an overnight they would get less time)

They got the first cow of the year in '17 I believe. Rick's been doing it forever and knows how to catch em. I know he shares info with Mark on the Pac Voy who is known as one of the fishiest captains around so it's not like he's out of the loop.

Try it yourself. There's one boat in the fleet I will never ride again but I know others who love it so obviously everyone's experience varies.

Just my 2 cents.

fishkilr and MDC like this.
  13. dockrat88

dockrat88 no fish pulling against me shall prosper

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    whatever floats
    I fished the boat a handful of times and have no complaints. At the end of he day, different shit floats different peoples boats and everyone won't be happy. Fish the boat and form your own opinion

muletrain, MDC and Hamachi_Kama like this.
  14. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I'm assuming there's no processors there?

Funny how that's a big part of my decision making these days.

15. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    I've fished with Rick for years when he owned SeaHawk, then a
    2nd on Pacific Star. He's a Veteran tuna hunter. GO !!!! LOL

MDC, jsl, wildbunch and 1 other person like this.
  16. wildbunch

wildbunch MOFO

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23' "Hardcore"
    1.5day trips fish the zone till dark. I ride this boat and he never heads in early. You are wrong and we kill a lot of fish. :skullbone:Zombie_Ro

Tunahead likes this.
  17. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    See there Bill. It will be my first trip on the O95 and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

18. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    Notice I mentioned an overnight vs a 1.5 day trip. They left the zone earlier than the fleet on an overnight when I rode the O95.

ol' salt likes this.
  19. Goosed10

Goosed10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    none
    Fished it last month for Blue Fin. He had us on fish all day with only two drifts. Caught an early season 60#. I’m happy. Cheaper, free parking, and the boat rides good. It’s a no frills fishing trip.

Tunahead likes this.
  20. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I fished the O’95 maybe four years ago (I’d have to look at the pics) when the bite went off in late November on a 1 1/2 day. The boat did fill up and we got off the dock. The boat is older but has good bones. We fished until dark the next day and only had a handful of fish, not nearly what they caught the day before. As I recall we were at the Cortez. The skipper came on the PA and said the bite the day before came late, there were a lot of fish in the area and we could stay a while longer to see if the fish would start feeding. We had been fishing in a small fleet that one by one left the area. And then the bite went off like nothing I had experienced up to that time. It started with about 5 fish on and off then picked up. It was a school of 100lbers+ and everyone was getting bit. The crew wasn’t gentle with tangles and if you tangled with a fish they just cut you off, sometimes many lines. It was crazy and they worked their butts off. I have no doubt that 200 + fish were hooked and 49 bigguns at the 100lb mark landed. I saw reels spooled and guys hooked 5 and not able to land one, it was awesome. I hooked 5 lost two in tangles, landed the next two and handed off the fifth around MIDNIGHT. The skipper came on the PA about then and said wind’em in we’d be to the dock about 10:30. There are a lot of good boats out there but that night there were none better. It is a trip I will never forget on the O’95. BTW I just noticed my Avatar photo is from that night.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019