Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
DORADO.....Sunday 9/9/18 Chabasco II, Oceanside Sea Center

The Short:
Private 3/4 day Charter, started as an in shore trip with a slight (BIG) surprise move to deeper water.
27 Dorado, 2 skipjack tuna, 1 white sea bass, 2 halibut, 17 sheepshead, 8 calico bass, 70 calicos released for 38 passengers.

The Long:
We had 38 passengers, mostly newbies. I know it’s a lot, but I wanted to keep the price down for some.

Captain Tiny worked the inshore kelp line for some decent sheepshead, calico bass, couple halibut and (1) white sea bass caught by me niece.

Kaden, Nacho, and the kid Max helped keep the group happy and the tangles down. Jason kept everyone well fed and the beer cold.

Not sure the exact time but, Tiny gets my attantion and says, “Hey I got a buddy who’s on a nice kelp and they are still pulling in the Dorado. They are not to far from us, just a bit off shore. You think your group is up for it” I was thinking these kids may never have a chance like this again. Oh heck yeah, let’s do it!

He made sure to tell everyone it could very well be the last time you get your line wet. High risk high reward! The crew pulls anchor and off we go. I think they were just as excited as we were.

On our way out we pick up two Skipjack on the troll. About 45 minutes later we pull up to a group of 4-5 boats and Tiny sets up on the paddy. The water is full of majestic colors and hues of blue, green and yellow flashes of reflective light. DORADO are every where!

Baits go in and the dodo are jumping out of the water with hooks in them and line singing in the breeze. To be honest it just sat back for a minute and watched. Then it was all about helping the kids and the newbies.

Big deans that could swim out and casting away from the boat got inhaled. They were not line shy. 30# test and #1/0-3/0 hooks did just fine. All 27 Dorado were caught on baits! I’m sure there were just as many lost as there were caught.

I was pretty busy with the kids but a couple guys really did good landing several apiece and the others picked at one here and there. Everyone had a shot at catching one! Tom was killin it and handed all (5) he hooked off to the kids. He was rewarded with a nice 24” Hali just outside the harbor while the crew cleaned the fish.

Ernie’ has got some great guys running the Chabasco! I want to especially thank Tiny for making the impossible happen. AND his buddy that called him in on the bite, thank you sir, who ever you are!
Glenn, over and out!

0EA8D857-167E-48F1-9A4E-5DAF34BD0FF7.jpeg
373AF8F2-7438-46CD-BA8B-D956C6BBCEB0.jpeg
221E905F-F7B3-44E1-A15C-46C78F796B6B.jpeg
71D398F2-2DD0-4BA7-ACAC-AE433D0FD74D.jpeg
0A684FCA-D179-44CD-AF4E-2977A2C8DECA.jpeg
0BD0FB86-6FC5-4558-BF8F-D036417F4C95.jpeg
29AE20CA-F6E7-4CB7-B9E4-FD4908D58125.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Tiny(not skinny) , ernie and the guys are a good bunch[/QUOTE]
Oh dang I knew that, I guess I’m to sleepy. Corrected, thanks

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
"When opportunity knocks you gotta roll!" An awesome call and those kids won't ever be forgettin' this day of fishing.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Exceptional trip for the kids and others, very nice job, and nice PICs also, thank you.

Upvote 0

joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
Menifee
Name
Josh
Boat
Boat club
Nice job on getting the kids to pull on dorado. Tiny is a great captain, he has pulled off some incredible “1/2day” trips

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Wow, great trip, lot of happy kids and Fisher people. That's my favorite boat by far, haven't fished them since they moved up to Oceanside though even though it's closer to me... LOL. I will have to jump on in the next couple weeks.

Upvote 0

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
Congrats to you and the kids on your charter. Its always good to hear about the great job the Crew on the Chubasco is doing, but throw in some youngsters having a trip they will never forget., now thats something special. You couldn’t have picked a better boat for a charter. Ernie, Tiny, and the crew are top notch and always willing to go the extra mile (or 10) for their passengers.

Reactions: rick rouland
Upvote 0

ScaleyOne

" I never met a fish I didn't like"
Apr 23, 2015
Tustin
Name
Brent
Boat
Molly D
DORADO.....Sunday 9/9/18 Chabasco II, Oceanside Sea Center

The Short:
Private 3/4 day Charter, started as an in shore trip with a slight (BIG) surprise move to deeper water.
27 Dorado, 2 skipjack tuna, 1 white sea bass, 2 halibut, 17 sheepshead, 8 calico bass, 70 calicos released for 38 passengers.

The Long:
We had 38 passengers, mostly newbies. I know it’s a lot, but I wanted to keep the price down for some.

Captain Tiny worked the inshore kelp line for some decent sheepshead, calico bass, couple halibut and (1) white sea bass caught by me niece.

Kaden, Nacho, and the kid Max helped keep the group happy and the tangles down. Jason kept everyone well fed and the beer cold.

Not sure the exact time but, Tiny gets my attantion and says, “Hey I got a buddy who’s on a nice kelp and they are still pulling in the Dorado. They are not to far from us, just a bit off shore. You think your group is up for it” I was thinking these kids may never have a chance like this again. Oh heck yeah, let’s do it!

He made sure to tell everyone it could very well be the last time you get your line wet. High risk high reward! The crew pulls anchor and off we go. I think they were just as excited as we were.

On our way out we pick up two Skipjack on the troll. About 45 minutes later we pull up to a group of 4-5 boats and Tiny sets up on the paddy. The water is full of majestic colors and hues of blue, green and yellow flashes of reflective light. DORADO are every where!

Baits go in and the dodo are jumping out of the water with hooks in them and line singing in the breeze. To be honest it just sat back for a minute and watched. Then it was all about helping the kids and the newbies.

Big deans that could swim out and casting away from the boat got inhaled. They were not line shy. 30# test and #1/0-3/0 hooks did just fine. All 27 Dorado were caught on baits! I’m sure there were just as many lost as there were caught.

I was pretty busy with the kids but a couple guys really did good landing several apiece and the others picked at one here and there. Everyone had a shot at catching one! Tom was killin it and handed all (5) he hooked off to the kids. He was rewarded with a nice 24” Hali just outside the harbor while the crew cleaned the fish.

Ernie’ has got some great guys running the Chabasco! I want to especially thank Tiny for making the impossible happen. AND his buddy that called him in on the bite, thank you sir, who ever you are!
Glenn, over and out!

View attachment 962882 View attachment 962883 View attachment 962884 View attachment 962885 View attachment 962886 View attachment 962887 View attachment 962888

That is absolutely AWESOME!
Great job making sure everyone had a great time and got to pull on the dodo's. Great job to the skipper and crew for making it happen.

Upvote 0