Oceanside 1-4-19 BFT

PENN

Ricsen

Apr 16, 2015
Name
Rich
Boat
Robalo 260 CC
Launched solo out of Oceanside today to try and take advantage of the good weather. Picked up some nice bait and went S/W about 4 miles. Water temp 59.3. Worked my way south in about 750’ of water. Around 10:30 I spotted a couple hundred birds rafting. They were spread out over several hundred feet. As I got close, I began marking fish around 150’. I shut down and flylined a sardine on the drift. 50lb flouro leader to a 3/0 ringed circle hook. After I put out the sardine, I started to tie a flat fall on another rod. Never got the knot tied.
After a good fight I finally landed him and called out the numbers (33.09x117.26) so some other folks could give it a shot. I needed a coffee and sandwich break. Had some other boats come in. All real decent guys and everyone gave each other plenty of room. I hope someone else hooked up.
Maybe they’ll stick around after this next storm. This was only 3 1/2 miles off the beach. Fish weighed about 55lbs. Great day on the water. Good luck out there.

A1374243-9431-4A2A-8194-4D5558349B04.jpeg

F74B3E15-752E-4F11-A0BA-29F36F3C0467.jpeg

2E6A5764-05AA-44B6-A6F8-BEEA50F8B2CB.jpeg

699B6D78-4663-4D9C-B4EE-09A943B9CCCA.jpeg
F4B47F4B-F52B-4159-92D1-1C97C2B11FBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Woodeneye

May 23, 2007
North Orange County
Name
Chris
Boat
Striper 2300
Awesome job and thanks for the report and with photos. Even the biggest asshole on the board can’t bitch about this report. Well, they probably still could but ....

Upvote 0

getusum

Almost A Member
Apr 8, 2014
Name
Jeremy Pebley
Boat
222 wellcraft fishermen
Congratulations again, got to see the fish right after you landed it . Beautiful day on the water but no bluefin for me. Did land a nice halibut though.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
why is it so scuffed up on the hill plate?

Reactions: Ricsen
Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Don’t you know there are no fish out of Oceanside? Nicely done. Wish I was not at a dog show I would be out there

Reactions: Ricsen
    Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 26, 2003
    Escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Awesome, congrats. Listening to Let's Talk Hookup right now and they were talking about one out of Oceanside only a few miles out, probably yours... LOL. Also said there's been multiple others up and down the coast to the north just a few miles off the beach. Taking my boys out on a half-day out of Oceanside next Sunday, would be fun to fish for something other than sculpin...;)

Upvote 0

Ricsen

Apr 16, 2015
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    Robalo 260 CC
    why is it so scuffed up on the hill plate?

Photo was taken after the fish had been on ice several hours. Most likely from holding it up by the tail and dragging it to the kill bag after I bled it.

Upvote 0

Ricsen

Apr 16, 2015
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    Robalo 260 CC
    Congratulations again, got to see the fish right after you landed it . Beautiful day on the water but no bluefin for me. Did land a nice halibut though.

Thanks Jeremy. Was good visiting with you on the water yesterday. That’s a nice Wellcraft you have and congratulations on the halibut.

Reactions: getusum
    Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
    Jan 20, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    5-20
    Boat
    L2 Fish
    Awesome!!! A guy in a Robalo came back into the harbor a little before sunset. Was that you? I was on the blue and white catamaran SUP at the mouth of the harbor. Hoped to make it out to that cluster of boats. I was thinking they were anywhere from 4-6 miles out there. I paddled out for about an hour, realized the current and tide weren't exactly in my favor and that I might be getting myself into trouble on the return trip if I paddled out that far.

Looking at how fast that cluster of boats drifted south in two or three hours, it was probably the right decision to make, not necessarily the best, no, but the right one, yeah. :)

Glad you got that terrific fish!!!

Reactions: One_Leg and Ricsen
    Upvote 0

Ricsen

Apr 16, 2015
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    Robalo 260 CC
    Awesome!!! A guy in a Robalo came back into the harbor a little before sunset. Was that you? I was on the blue and white catamaran SUP at the mouth of the harbor. Hoped to make it out to that cluster of boats. I was thinking they were anywhere from 4-6 miles out there. I paddled out for about an hour, realized the current and tide weren't exactly in my favor and that I might be getting myself into trouble on the return trip if I paddled out that far.

Looking at how fast that cluster of boats drifted south in two or three hours, it was probably the right decision to make, not necessarily the best, no, but the right one, yeah. :)

Glad you got that terrific fish!!!

Hi. Thanks. That was me. Saw you fishing there.....looked like a good halibut spot. Probably a good decision on holding off in the afternoon based on how the current changed. Good luck out there.

Reactions: 5-20
    Upvote 0