PENN

scott v

• Sep 3, 2011
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Keep wishing
    I haven't been on the water since June and had pretty much wrote the rest of this year off for fishing due to recent back surgery. Earlier last week my kid tells me, I can't wait for next summer. I said you have only been in school for a week you can't hate it that much already. No, you told me we would fish overnight this summer and you couldn't take me. His response weighed on me throughout the week.

I found a chartered trip on the O95 for Saturday night returning this morning. Wife was good with him going even if he was going to miss a little school.

We left Saturday night with a load of 25 anglers, most fairly new to ocean fishing. Captain gave us our safety breifing and told us the weather was going to be nasty. He was not kidding. It was a very bumpy ride on the way to the tuna grounds. I think half the boat ended up sick. I didn't sleep but my boy slept like a rock.

We ended up on the bluefin grounds and started fishing a little after 6. Tried flat falls for a while with no takers. Fish were building under the boat and we were staying put. I think the first fish came aboard a little before 7. I was flylining a sardine when my kid asked me to get him something from downstairs. I handed the rod to him and told him I would be back. Come up the stairs two minutes later and he is bent. I guess he's got this. With little assistance, he lands a nice yellowfin. I would bait him up and get him in the water and he was on his own.

We stayed on this drift til maybe 11. There were quite a few fish hooked, but the landing ratio was not that great. He ended up hooking four, I hooked 5 which were promptly handed off. We lost a few throughout the day but ended up with 6 fish with him doing most of the work. We continued to look throughout the day without too much more action. Crew was great and did an awesome job with my boy.

From what I could tell, there are two different zones of fish. A bluefin which we fished, and a yellowfin zone. Seems like the day boats were fishing the yellowfin zone in the morning which I think was a little closer to the islands. Reports were they did great. We hit that area later in the afternoon, we had a few boils but not many fish wanted to die.

Bluefin were being bluefin and were rather picky. Key was a good bait, light line and a small hook. We hooked most of our fish on 30 although we had a couple on 25 and 40 using a size 1 circle. Braid to a short leader of floro worked for us. Crew was recommending a size 2 or 4 hook and 20-30 lb line depending on what they were seeing.

If you are tired of expensive hooks, I have been using the 2x ringed hooks on ebay for the past couple years. About $12 for 48 and have landed fish to 130 lbs on them. I have yet to have one bend or break.

660C900D-8B49-4F56-A047-1E4B76B02A45.jpeg 29DEA0A0-8E30-4145-A9A7-9DDB86A63EC3.jpeg 3EE21E04-DE66-4D8D-8ABD-657B09F3E3B4.jpeg 5BED1BB1-BCAD-4772-BCFA-63C5800B301E.jpeg 48E80D81-0657-4FF8-B598-8A0E0BC1B528.jpeg

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    way to go Dad

Reactions: scott v
    Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
    Name
    Cris
    Boat
    friends :)
    Good job taking your son out, nice fish as well. Back surgery is a Bitch... and many times it’s only temporary. Speedy recovery

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    Just drop a little sashimi grade tuna your kid's teacher's way or some smoked yellowfin if you smoke anytime soon and I'll bet the teacher will be telling your kid he can have a free homework pass for his next trip and offer extra help to cover anything he missed in class the absent day, in the hopes of getting another taste.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    1579903_5e190e341965e8b9f51e3c627f7c855c.jpeg

I was about 12 yrs old when my dad first took me on an Albacore trip. We fished a lot on our boat, however he wanted to wait until he thought I could handle it.

Your young man killed it. What a great dad to work/teach your son. My dad was busy hooking up, lol. Maybe that's why he needed to make sure I could catch on my own.

In all fairness to him, he had Longfin fever.

Upvote 0

scott v

• Sep 3, 2011
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Keep wishing
    Thanks for the responses. Honestly, I think it's something almost anyone of us would do for our kids.
    WTG! Were you handing off due to your back? If so your are trooper super dad!
    It was a combination of both. I would not have gone on this trip if it were not for the boy asking. Even though my doc said I can get back to everyday activities I still am cautious. Handed most off to my boy, and two others to people that have never caught a tuna. The look of joy/agony on the faces is well worth it. This trip was not about me. I will have plenty of those later on.

Sad thing is he still had to go to school. Captain Rick said the weather was coming back up and wanted to get everyone back without a repeat of the night before. Plan was to burn some extra fuel and be back at the dock at 0200. He was home in bed at 0300 and up at 0700 on his own. He wanted to go, I think to tell his friends what he had done.

Upvote 0

best pals

Almost A Member
    Oct 3, 2004
    San Clemente
    Name
    Best Pals
    Boat
    31 Black Watch "Best Pals"
    Awesome report! Nothing like a special trip with your son-you both will never forget it! Hope your back improves! It took me about 6 months after my back surgery before I felt confident in pulling on larger fish. Hooking those fish is the most exciting part as is- well done!

Jim
    Best Pals
    Dana Point

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    Nice job
    How old is your son
    I've been taking my daughter on Pangas and my boat since she was a baby she's 9 this month and wants to go on an overnight boat. I told her when she turns 10
    She loves being on the water like your son He looks stoked

Upvote 0

soopaflyjm1

Nov 6, 2012
    Las Vegas Nv Clark
    Name
    J Money
    Boat
    Reel Fun
    I haven't been on the water since June and had pretty much wrote the rest of this year off for fishing due to recent back surgery. Earlier last week my kid tells me, I can't wait for next summer. I said you have only been in school for a week you can't hate it that much already. No, you told me we would fish overnight this summer and you couldn't take me. His response weighed on me throughout the week.

I found a chartered trip on the O95 for Saturday night returning this morning. Wife was good with him going even if he was going to miss a little school.

We left Saturday night with a load of 25 anglers, most fairly new to ocean fishing. Captain gave us our safety breifing and told us the weather was going to be nasty. He was not kidding. It was a very bumpy ride on the way to the tuna grounds. I think half the boat ended up sick. I didn't sleep but my boy slept like a rock.

We ended up on the bluefin grounds and started fishing a little after 6. Tried flat falls for a while with no takers. Fish were building under the boat and we were staying put. I think the first fish came aboard a little before 7. I was flylining a sardine when my kid asked me to get him something from downstairs. I handed the rod to him and told him I would be back. Come up the stairs two minutes later and he is bent. I guess he's got this. With little assistance, he lands a nice yellowfin. I would bait him up and get him in the water and he was on his own.

We stayed on this drift til maybe 11. There were quite a few fish hooked, but the landing ratio was not that great. He ended up hooking four, I hooked 5 which were promptly handed off. We lost a few throughout the day but ended up with 6 fish with him doing most of the work. We continued to look throughout the day without too much more action. Crew was great and did an awesome job with my boy.

From what I could tell, there are two different zones of fish. A bluefin which we fished, and a yellowfin zone. Seems like the day boats were fishing the yellowfin zone in the morning which I think was a little closer to the islands. Reports were they did great. We hit that area later in the afternoon, we had a few boils but not many fish wanted to die.

Bluefin were being bluefin and were rather picky. Key was a good bait, light line and a small hook. We hooked most of our fish on 30 although we had a couple on 25 and 40 using a size 1 circle. Braid to a short leader of floro worked for us. Crew was recommending a size 2 or 4 hook and 20-30 lb line depending on what they were seeing.

If you are tired of expensive hooks, I have been using the 2x ringed hooks on ebay for the past couple years. About $12 for 48 and have landed fish to 130 lbs on them. I have yet to have one bend or break.

View attachment 1066768 View attachment 1066769 View attachment 1066770 View attachment 1066771 View attachment 1066772
    Yep there was two zones out there here is a pic of where you were and where you were heading

C70C2EDA-57CB-479A-8A13-5240F5E6F00B.jpeg

Upvote 0