rossman

Almost A Member
May 21, 2004
Bahia Asuncion
Name
Ross Zoerhof
Boat
Yak and tin boat
What's the largest Whitefish you've seen. Caught this one this morning and a personal best for sure. 30 inches and a fatty. A couple decent yellows to give one an appreciation of it's size.
IMG_20210922_114056.jpg

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Those were common at San Martin island in the mid to late 70s. 8 to ten lbs were on the bottom where the boulder hook on the east side gave way to a sandy bottom....if you could get past the 5 lb calicos

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Wow! :appl: :food-smil

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Have seen a couple that big back in the 80’s out at Santa Cruz Island… ”bottom yellowtail”. Was on the a boat and a fellow angler had one of those bend the spool shaft on a penn squidder…..

Reactions: marlyn and Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    That's a big one. I've been lucky to catch a few larger models over many years, not that big.
    Current CAL State Record=Tie 13lbs 12oz caught at the Cortez and San Nicholas Island.
    Don't know about alltime/Mexico records.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Those were common at San Martin island in the mid to late 70s. 8 to ten lbs were on the bottom where the boulder hook on the east side gave way to a sandy bottom....if you could get past the 5 lb calicos
    As well as big White Seabass at SMI too. LOL

Upvote 0

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22'
    The first thing I thought of when seeing that fish was fishing San Martin in the late 70’s. We used to fish with the oyster cultivators in Bahia Falsa. One of my worst trips was after eating one of the sun baked oysters.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Saw one at san benitos that had to be 12 or 13 lbs. It was bigger than the yellows we caught that day.

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
    May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    We caught some giant whitefish at Punta Colonett in the 80s. Many were 10 pounds and bigger and pulled pretty good. Tasty meat when kept cold and eaten fresh but don't freeze well.

Upvote 0

Lboddy

Almost A Member
  • Mar 13, 2010
    San Quintin Baja Mexico
    Name
    Lanny Boddy
    Boat
    sold it
    There used to be bunches of them just off of Bens Rock in about 150 feet of water. Number 2 hook, four ounce sinker and a piece of squid was the best rig.
    Be sure that you stay on the up stream side of the rock so you don’t join the Fishen Fool.

Upvote 0