azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Good day All.
This is my first trip on the double O. The boat was clean I mean spotless. very nice to see. The gallery is large and the booths are wide enough for a guy with a belly to sit comfortably and enjoy their meal. The gallery sits about 25 people at one time. The bunk room was cool or may be cold. the A/C was running full arctic and made sleeping easy. The bunks are not wide by any standards but they are nice enough. Just bring sheets if you do not want to sleep on the vinyl. They do offer a pillow and blanket.
Now to the crew. the captain was top rate working hard it was unusual that he did not join the other boats fishing one area. he moved and hunted the whole day and it paid off Thank you.
The crew, in the gallery the cook was on his game. Breakfast burrito was solid. Eggs, potatoes, cheese and ham,bacon and sausage. Drinks were cold and they offer a soda fountain included in your fare. Nice touch. The deck hands worked hard. I am strong willed some may say, hey I am an Italian from Brooklyn NY, but we got along fine.
The trip 33 of my closest friends, a mixed group of young old, new to fishing and the old salty dawgs. So just to make sure we are all on the same page. I am the guy that says what you are thinking but will not say. So if you want to get drunk and socialize fine do it away from the fishing. If you need to lean against the rail with both arms like you are praying in church fine do it away from the fishing. If you need to catch up on your daily news and want to have a conversation with the guy next to you when you should be following your line and moving down the rail. great just do it on you own time.
What I am getting at is we all pay for the trip. Do not infringe on our ability to fish because you have other plans.
The fishing. it was a tough scratch to say the least. The first 5 or 6 hours we had 3 fish on the deck. One on the troll and a couple of bait fish. The captain again was on his game and burnt some fuel as we went the limits of the fishing zone. We watched other boats just staying in one place the whole day it seemed. We found the schools and made them pay. The trick was small hooks and light line. The high hook had 12 tuna. he was using a #4 hook and 17 pound line. all 5 of my fish came on a long cast 50-75 feet ( long for me with this bait for sure) or so where the fish were boiling. The bait would hit the boil and get bit. Long soaks did not really produce fish. The average fish was about 20 pounds. So with 20 pound string you could pull really hard with the correct drag setting. If you could not cast the distance than you HAD to have the most selective baits. Take your time at the live well and select the best bait, pin it on and cast it out. Too many people hanging out at the live wells talking as they hold their baits in their hands and wonder why the bait does not swim. The bait was small almost anchovy size. Light weight and maybe 3-4 inches long.They could not pull the heavier line. The floating braided line also made it harder for the baits to swim. I would drop down to 30 lb fluoro or go with mono. On that note if you are using braid please do not use BLACK. it is hard to see and you can not follow YOUR line. One if the big issues is some fishermen pay more attention to your fish on the line than the bait they have in the water.
Taking care of the fish. Like most boats that use the RSW system. They spike and bleed your fish and place it on the box on deck. Once there is a break in the action they drop it in the RSW. My fish since i cut my own fish was perfect when I got home. Still firm and very little blood.
Tipping
This seems to be a topic that gets the popcorn going, but it needs to be said. My trip was 230 plus the fee from the landing 3.5% to beat the fee book with the boat directly. I had the burrito 6 bucks. So total was 6 dollars I gave them 60. Why because I felt they worked for me and deserved it. My money my choice. Now it seems the ones that need all the help in tangles because of many reasons including the beer tabs or just did not pay attention gave squat. I do not know the income status of anyone so I am not saying you are a cheap SOB. But please if you could have the crew clean you one fish and drink 10 beers you could kick up a 20 for a tip. 5 dollars, 3 dollars really. You did not have a problem with asking for help and taking the hand-off fish from the crew so you could fight a fish ( and lose it in a tangle with your other beer drinking buddy). Just saying it sucks that you ask for help but do not repay the favor or deed. Enough.
Rap up. Would i go again on the double O Yes i am looking at a 2.5 day as the next trip. Lower capacity (25) more fishing time. Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
The long cast may be the difference. I heard the same technique worked for others.

Upvote 0

BarryFree

Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!
Sep 26, 2007
Moreno Valley, California
Name
Barry
Boat
Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
Good day All.
This is my first trip on the double O. The boat was clean I mean spotless. very nice to see. The gallery is large and the booths are wide enough for a guy with a belly to sit comfortably and enjoy their meal. The gallery sits about 25 people at one time. The bunk room was cool or may be cold. the A/C was running full arctic and made sleeping easy. The bunks are not wide by any standards but they are nice enough. Just bring sheets if you do not want to sleep on the vinyl. They do offer a pillow and blanket.
Now to the crew. the captain was top rate working hard it was unusual that he did not join the other boats fishing one area. he moved and hunted the whole day and it paid off Thank you.
The crew, in the gallery the cook was on his game. Breakfast burrito was solid. Eggs, potatoes, cheese and ham,bacon and sausage. Drinks were cold and they offer a soda fountain included in your fare. Nice touch. The deck hands worked hard. I am strong willed some may say, hey I am an Italian from Brooklyn NY, but we got along fine.
The trip 33 of my closest friends, a mixed group of young old, new to fishing and the old salty dawgs. So just to make sure we are all on the same page. I am the guy that says what you are thinking but will not say. So if you want to get drunk and socialize fine do it away from the fishing. If you need to lean against the rail with both arms like you are praying in church fine do it away from the fishing. If you need to catch up on your daily news and want to have a conversation with the guy next to you when you should be following your line and moving down the rail. great just do it on you own time.
What I am getting at is we all pay for the trip. Do not infringe on our ability to fish because you have other plans.
The fishing. it was a tough scratch to say the least. The first 5 or 6 hours we had 3 fish on the deck. One on the troll and a couple of bait fish. The captain again was on his game and burnt some fuel as we went the limits of the fishing zone. We watched other boats just staying in one place the whole day it seemed. We found the schools and made them pay. The trick was small hooks and light line. The high hook had 12 tuna. he was using a #4 hook and 17 pound line. all 5 of my fish came on a long cast 50-75 feet ( long for me with this bait for sure) or so where the fish were boiling. The bait would hit the boil and get bit. Long soaks did not really produce fish. The average fish was about 20 pounds. So with 20 pound string you could pull really hard with the correct drag setting. If you could not cast the distance than you HAD to have the most selective baits. Take your time at the live well and select the best bait, pin it on and cast it out. Too many people hanging out at the live wells talking as they hold their baits in their hands and wonder why the bait does not swim. The bait was small almost anchovy size. Light weight and maybe 3-4 inches long.They could not pull the heavier line. The floating braided line also made it harder for the baits to swim. I would drop down to 30 lb fluoro or go with mono. On that note if you are using braid please do not use BLACK. it is hard to see and you can not follow YOUR line. One if the big issues is some fishermen pay more attention to your fish on the line than the bait they have in the water.
Taking care of the fish. Like most boats that use the RSW system. They spike and bleed your fish and place it on the box on deck. Once there is a break in the action they drop it in the RSW. My fish since i cut my own fish was perfect when I got home. Still firm and very little blood.
Tipping
This seems to be a topic that gets the popcorn going, but it needs to be said. My trip was 230 plus the fee from the landing 3.5% to beat the fee book with the boat directly. I had the burrito 6 bucks. So total was 6 dollars I gave them 60. Why because I felt they worked for me and deserved it. My money my choice. Now it seems the ones that need all the help in tangles because of many reasons including the beer tabs or just did not pay attention gave squat. I do not know the income status of anyone so I am not saying you are a cheap SOB. But please if you could have the crew clean you one fish and drink 10 beers you could kick up a 20 for a tip. 5 dollars, 3 dollars really. You did not have a problem with asking for help and taking the hand-off fish from the crew so you could fight a fish ( and lose it in a tangle with your other beer drinking buddy). Just saying it sucks that you ask for help but do not repay the favor or deed. Enough.
Rap up. Would i go again on the double O Yes i am looking at a 2.5 day as the next trip. Lower capacity (25) more fishing time. Cheers
Nice write up! Decided to take your advice and bought some #4 hooks and #4 light wire live bait hooks (these look pretty flimsy but willing to try). Will team up with 15, 17 and 20# flouro to see which gets bit best. Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    The OO is my go to boat. Fished it many times!

Upvote 0