thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Hey All,

Taking a 1.5 Day trip on the Ocean Odyssey Sept 18-20. I have never fished the West Coast. I am hoping the experienced guys out West can give me some tackle suggestions. Mainly line, leader material and/or all terminal tackle recommendations. I have to check my reel inventory and see what I have that I can pair with some longer rods as all I use here in the East is 6’ to 6’-6” and I notice 7+’ are preferred for West Coast style.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark H.

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
Mar 11, 2007
Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
FV Soldandgone
probably will be searching for larger bluefin. i'd plan for: 25, 40, 60, and 80 lb setups w/ 400 + yds line capacity. 2 speed reels for 40 and up. matching flouro for each. size 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 circle hooks (e.g. mutu). Also want 100+ lb setup with (2) 250 gm glow flatfalls rigged w/ 200 lb leader for night fishing. i wouldn't go out buying all new rods. your gear will fish fine if it is rigged proper and you know how to fish. you wont be able to cast as far, but since you'll probably be lobbing out fly lined sardines for the first time, the shorter rod won't matter too much. more important to manage bait once it's out. ask deck hands for help and/or demo. you can rent rigged rods and reels at landing if you feel need to do so. OO is a nice boat with great crew, galley, food, and all the soda you can drink. if fish are there, you'll have great trip!

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Thanks man! I wanted to post it there but picked the wrong Forum.

Um, this is a question for the SD Long Range Fishing Forum :D:D

Just kidding ;)

Get back to us when u have a list of gear so you get decent response. LOL

Edit: and read Jim’s response above

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Wow. Great info, thanks!!!

All this for a 1.5 Day trip? I was trying to go with 2-3 combos.

probably will be searching for larger bluefin. i'd plan for: 25, 40, 60, and 80 lb setups w/ 400 + yds line capacity. 2 speed reels for 40 and up. matching flouro for each. size 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 circle hooks (e.g. mutu). Also want 100+ lb setup with (2) 250 gm glow flatfalls rigged w/ 200 lb leader for night fishing. i wouldn't go out buying all new rods. your gear will fish fine if it is rigged proper and you know how to fish. you wont be able to cast as far, but since you'll probably be lobbing out fly lined sardines for the first time, the shorter rod won't matter too much. more important to manage bait once it's out. ask deck hands for help and/or demo. you can rent rigged rods and reels at landing if you feel need to do so. OO is a nice boat with great crew, galley, food, and all the soda you can drink. if fish are there, you'll have great trip!

Last edited:

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
Nov 26, 2008
Los Angeles- South Central
Name
Dan
Boat
None
Thanks man! I wanted to post it there but picked the wrong Forum.

i'm gonna get myself in trouble, that was just an old joke going around here :rofl:

your in the right forum, and really nothing special as long as you have decent gear, newer line, and circle hooks, you'll be fine. Reason for so many set ups is that you don't want to be messing around with a birds nest or tying new line when on a hot bite. If your good about changing top shots that you can also get a way with 3-4 set ups (if your that good and quick)

I would search older threads for tips as topic been beaten to death on here :deadhorse

stripedbizzle

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles ca
Name
JTM
Boat
No
Wow. Great info, thanks!!!

All this for a 1.5 Day trip? I was trying to go with 2-3 combos.
You wont use all of them - the way the fishing has been though it kind of forces you to be prepared for anything. Youre just as likely to run into a school of 80+lb bluefin as you are to run into a school of 15-30lb yellowfin. IMO you could cover most bases with a 30/40/(60 or 80) but most like to bring more rods for specific purposes (jigs, trolling, etc)

on a recent 1.5 day i brought:
light 30#
heavy 30# (stronger rod if bluefin are lineshy)
40#x3 (2 bait one jig)
50#
80#

and ive seen guys with way more of a mental illness than I bring more gear.

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
I just checked the conventional reels I still have. I have an Avet SX 5.3, Avet MXL 5.8 and Avet HXW 4.2

I also have a PENN Clash 5000 if anyone uses spinning reels.

Wondering if those 3 would work if paired with 3 rods to match line rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrixKelly

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Might be better and likely cheaper to just rent 3-4 rods. A light 25-30, a medium heavy 2 speed 40-50 and a heavy 60-100lb setup would be the bare minimum imho. If you have a rod you use at home for throwing jigs or poppers that might be worth bringing along.

Reactions: thunder835

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
I just checked the conventional reels I still have. I have an Avet SX 5.3, Avet MXL 5.8 and Avet HXW 4.2

Id bring the 2 smaller avets and rent a heavy 2 speed setup. If the HXW was 2 speed you'd have all the basics covered but f hooking a beast of a bluefin on a single speed. You'll do all your flylining on the avets and then if you find bigger bluefin around, the bigger rental will be your heavy flyline/sinker rig/vertical jig rod. Just change the fluoro leader depending on what your doing (50-60 for flyline, 80-100 for sinker/jigs). Id fish the avets as a 20 and 30 pound setups with option to bump the leader to 40 lb if flylining for the midsize bluefin in the 40-70lb class of fish. 20 and 30 will cover your needs if flylining for yellowtail/mahi/yellowfin

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Royal Polaris, Ocean Odyssey, Yours with an invite
Rent from the boat or landing. They will have exactly what you need for your trip
More and more these days renting the rod are a great option. Assuming you don’t have a ton of gear.
If you got stuff, 2x 30# , 2x 40#, 1x 60/80#. (2speeds if u got them)
Fresh line, ringed hooks, couple flat falls
Hustle shoes.
The “OO” is a great team and a really comfortable fishing boat IMHO.
Capt Rick gets some fish.
Have fun!

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Royal Polaris, Ocean Odyssey, Yours with an invite

This will cover your bases on a 1.5 day.

pastdue

May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
Hey All,

Taking a 1.5 Day trip on the Ocean Odyssey Sept 18-20. I have never fished the West Coast. I am hoping the experienced guys out West can give me some tackle suggestions. Mainly line, leader material and/or all terminal tackle recommendations. I have to check my reel inventory and see what I have that I can pair with some longer rods as all I use here in the East is 6’ to 6’-6” and I notice 7+’ are preferred for West Coast style.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark H.
This will cover your bases on a 1.5 day.
Going to be hard finding coltsniper stick baits poppers size and color hd. rings and hooks also 120 g sinking coltsniper good luck you will do great

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
Mar 11, 2007
Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
FV Soldandgone

i think the sx is kind of small. can you get 400 yds + of line ending in 25 or 30 leader? if not, you'll have tough time landing bft over 60 lbs. as others said, that could easily happen when you throw a bait on a paddie or into what appears to be smaller grade of fish. maybe mxl for 25/30 lb rig? hxw could be good 40/50 rig, but i wouldn't use for heavier line if not 2spd. you may be in the rental zone.... no worries, they will set you up fine.

tootall79

Jun 25, 2005
San Diego
Name
TOM
Boat
Painintheass
MXL 25# HXW 40# covers 90% of fishing.
You could rent a 60# combo if you feel lucky.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Lots of water to pass under the bridge between now and your trip departure. Keep watching reports, you’ll see trends. Renting exactly what you need from the landings is a great way to go, but I’m not sure H&M has quality two speed rentals.