mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Fished the Double O for the 2.5 day that left Sunday night. The forecast was for big seas and big winds. Check. Monday the seas were 6 to 8 feet and winds to 25 knots in the afternoon. There was a good group of 21 guys on board that made the best of the conditions and we scratched out a day for 22 YFT at 8 to 12 pounds and all the rat yellows you could catch.

Tuesday morning was more of the same, but around 4 PM we found a huge paddy in an area with less wind and were able to put around 35 more of the tuna in the hold and load up on the yellowtail. Jackpot went to a 25 pound YFT that must have been slumming. There was a good amount of tuna taken on the troll as well, so that was good to see. Even some small yellows were trolled up passing paddies...

I ended up with three 10 pound YFT and kept 4 yellows that were bleeding badly for sashimi. I released at least 25 more YT to get bigger. There is surprisingly a lot of meat on those little tuna!

Despite the tough conditions everyone had a great time. The crew was great, the food was good and Capt Rick worked hard to get us on the fish we did catch. OO is one of the nicest boats in the fleet, and the extra free board it has really worked out well in the big seas.

There are no pics, I'm sure you've seen your fill of 8 to 12 pound tuna and rat yellows.

Better conditions in the forecast and fishing should improve. Go get 'em and good luck.

Mike

Last edited:

Erawk

Get bent!
Dec 25, 2011
United States
Name
Eric
Boat
21' Sea Ray
Glad you got out and fished. And caught! Same story for us down south on Sunday and Monday.

Charlie Gordon

keeper of the groove
Jun 29, 2014
East County
Name
Charlie Gordon
Boat
Hammerhead
Was on the outer limits on Tuesday. Same thing, lots of rats and some small yellow fin. But had an awesome time with some good people.