RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
For some reason this has not made it to the local media. The crew of the Ocean Odyssey are HEROS! This occurred on Wed.

Here are some photos of the rescue and Coast Guard taking him off. I haven't seen any interviews so don't ask stupid questions.

221192609_10158297345226769_2838384536490576919_n.jpg

229356912_4606654706019937_4546940371335054380_n.jpg

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Thanks for the link

Was a mayday called?

The Coast Guard was closer than his father?

There seems to be a lot missing from this story.

Reactions: RichG and Tim Turis
Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Thanks for the link

Was a mayday called?

Agree. The media does show anything. Wonder why? Those guy on the Ocean Odyssey are hero’s in my book.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Agree. The media does show anything. Wonder why? Those guy on the Ocean Odyssey are hero’s in my book.
For that eagle eyed crew member, who was looking for a kelp, to spot him and to rescue him! JOB WELL DONE!!!! Got to be the greatest thing he's ever spotted while burning his eyes staring through the binos!!👍👍👍👍👍👍

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    What are the chances? If you think of it like trolling.... what are the chances..... of 2 things crossing....the BIG BLUE DESERT....at the EXACT time.... to save a life. Miraculous...
    Wasn't like he was in the "flotilla" off of Pukey Point right? Call it Karma... luck... Jesus... I'm sure that guy made some promises ....floating out there. Great job OCEAN ODYSSEY!

Upvote 0

marlindog

Jan 15, 2016
    Bay Area
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    Great job by Ocean Odyssey. This young man played offensive line at Cal Berkeley and was a very highly regarded high school football player. Lucky to be alive.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Thanks for the link

Was a mayday called?

X2 on A lot Missing From this story. Still Hats Off to the Ocean Odyssey for plucking him from the drink. I think there's to many question's and not enough answers. Just glad that he is alive.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Noticed no mention of graduating Cal.

Life pro tips:

Never hop off a moving boat, no fish is worth the risk.

Keep your wetsuit on, hypothermia kills.

Don’t start swimming. First thing a decent captain would do is re-trace his route.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    What a lucky man. Great job rescue team

Was fishing Ben's Rock in a panga on a rough day. Our captain lost radio contact with a panga fishing the 240/breaker. Our captain had a gut feeling something was wrong. So we headed to the 240. The other panga was looking for the high spot when he realized he was right on top of the 240 and a wave broke and capsized the panga. We found 3 people in the water and the panga sank. We were doing a article for pacific coast sportfishing and had a pic of just the bow of the panga afloat in the article around 2004. The people got into another panga and we gifted our dry clothes. SQ is very cold water in February. Colder then Southern California

Those people got lucky also. Kudos to our captain and another panga for the rescue

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
    Meeker, CO
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    None
    Article says Jumped off with no gear when he saw fish? He’s not wearing fins or a mask in that pic.
    As a lifelong spearfisherman, I just can’t fathom how that makes any sense…or why you would ditch your fins and mask if you were lost at sea either. I’m glad he’s OK, and wish him well, but that’s kinda fishy.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Article says Jumped off with no gear when he saw fish? He’s not wearing fins or a mask in that pic.
    As a lifelong spearfisherman, I just can’t fathom how that makes any sense…or why you would ditch your fins and mask if you were lost at sea either. I’m glad he’s OK, and wish him well, but that’s kinda fishy.
    X2 on what you stated, That would be like throwing taking off your life jacket while floating around waiting for help!

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Even after that Interview, He created more Un answered Questions!!! Jumping over the boat when you see fish as the boats moving and not even telling his Father before going in???? Sounds like some type of a possible life insurance claim?? 4 hrs in the Drink and first thing he wants , When rescued is a beer???? Very Interesting.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    My guess, He was sitting on gunnel. Fell over, dad didn’t notice.

Reactions: jimikinz
    W
    woodfish330
    I'm with you brother... most plausible explanation yet. We'll never know the real story..... so the rumor mill grows...
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0