Sheephead Ed

Sep 5, 2020
Venice Beach
Name
Ed Lieberman
Boat
none
Going on 1.5 day soon..
1. Anyone have advice on which bunk to choose?
2. Thinking of purchasing Avet JX 6/3 MC..spooled with 85 lb braid..and 8 ft. Rail rod..does that sound about right?
I currently have Accurate Tern 500X with 65 lb braid on Cal Star 875

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
the double O has a great bunk room Bunks lined around a common area with storage. I like the middle bunks the lower bunks and upper bunks are hard for my old body to get in and out of

Reactions: Sheephead Ed
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I have an HX and love it. Over a decade of use, multiple big fish, zero problems. Drags replaced once. If I was ONLY going to fish for yellowtail, or cast a lot, the JX would be a bit easier to handle, being narrower, so laying the line during a fast retrieve would be easier.

I don't believe that the MC really adds anything to the reel. I've borrowed and cast several sizes of Avets with the MC, and it doesn't add a yard of distance for me, or help prevent an overrun. But maybe it would help someone else. Anytime I need to cast for distance or cast a light bait or lure out for spooky fish I reach for my heavy spinning setup. If you fish a lot of overnight and 1.5-day trips you will find a GOOD spinning reel that costs the same as the JX 6/3 to be a lot more all-around effective in getting you bit. Not having two speeds is a more challenging fight, but hey, you're out there to have a real fight, right? Otherwise you would follow the trout stocking truck around.

Upvote 0