azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Ocean Odyssey 1.75 08-10 January 2021

This trip was a 1.75 day sponsored by Evike Fishing.

The Boat:

Big 85 ft sportfisher. Clean, comfortable and fishable. The boat w3as spotless. Rest rooms large and showers very large for a sport boat. They had plenty of hot water and the water pressure was powerful. You all remember a time on a sport boat where you had to cram yourself into a small head and shower. This was not one of those. But I will say the area to get dressed was a challenge with the boat rocking but it was doable. The gallery was spotless and roomy. We would sit 20 or so at a time comfortable. The sleeping quarters is amazing for a sort fisher. Bunks were at least 6 feet long. The width of the bunk depended on which one you chosen. I sleep in the rare bunk room. The bunk was large enough for my 6 ft. 245LB frame. Oh and they had lights and curtains for each bunk. The bonus in the bunk area is that they have a dressing area that was about 15 by 15 and they have storage bins. You can put your bags in the bins and not have to have them in your bunk. Stair case to the bunk room is steep and the stairs are narrow. They have hand rails so going up and down is ok.

The Food

On a 1.75 trip they feed us lunch the first day. Fresh hand pressed Burgers with cheese bacon and all the toppings. They also have a soda fountain available, coffee and hot coco. Dinner the first night was sea food pasts. White cream sauce and shrimp over pasta. Garlic bread and chocolate cake and ice cream. Breakfast any type eggs and bacon and pancakes. You could have a burrito, sandwich or plate. I chose the plate. Scrambled eggs bacon and pancakes. At 245 I could not finish it. They have coffee, OJ and Milk. Lunch was a chicken sandwich with pasta salad and chips. Dinner was pork roast potatoes and salad. Then pumpkin pie and ice cream. Last breakfast was pastries and milk, coffee or OJ. snacks were served all day, Fruit, mini tacos, poticks, chip cookies candy. If you went hungery it was your doing.

The crew:

Captain Rick is on the money. He directs his crew with a straight forward approach. Just get it done by the rules. Everyone had to mask up. Second ticket was a young lady I am bad with names so instead of butchering them I will not name them. She was attentive and personable. Very knowledgeable on deck and in the wheel house. She also helped server in the galley and collect your fish cleaning, galley tab and tips. Cooky in the galley was a silent type. His just got his work done, The food was always hot and fresh. He worked his butt off to make sure we hade everything we needed. The food was prepared well and taste great.

The deck crew was right on their game. You had a fish hit the deck they were right there to help take it off the hook and tag it for you. All fish went in the RSW shortly after it hit the deck. There are two bait tanks. A small one in the bow, that is where I stayed. A large bait tank in the stern. The always had live bait in the hand wells and cut squid available. The crew kept the boat clean from fish slime. When we would move to the next spot they had the hose out and washed down the deck. The deck hands were very knowledgeable about this fishing trip. We ran into some yellow tail. A guy next to me wanted to Yo-yo for them. The deckie gave him the correct jig and color tied it up and cast it out. The angler yoyoed about 3 times and was bit. It was the second largest fish on the trip a 16 pound yellow tail.

The weather

Just beautiful, Sunshine and light winds the first day. Current was not bad. Second day again sunshine. Wind picked up during the day to about 12 knots. Current did keep you on your toes. At times 16 oz would not hold the bottom.

The fishing. First day we started out below the rock pile. Small rock fish nothing to write about. The captain kept looking for schools of yellowtails but we could not locate them We ended the day on the south finger bank. First days count 100 or so rock fish.

Day two we started out driving around to look for yellowtail. We did not find any so we stopped in about 180 feet of water and started out first drift. Instant hook up with better quality reds. # pound average to start. As we went deeper, we hit a spot about 245 ft that the lings were ready to chew. There were several lings caught that went in the low teens. I caught and release 5 shorts and one about 8 pounds. Most of the lings were caught on live bait. I used a flat fall type jig 300gr in pink and glow. As we drifted deeper and deeper we ended up in 700 feet of water. At the 500 foot depth I hooked a 9.5 pound Ruby Red rock cod. It was huge and it was struggle to wind it in. I was using my tranx 500 and the spool was almost empty when she bit. She had her mouth open the entire way up. Also there was a small red on the teaser hook. So the total weight was about 12 pound of fish at 500 feet. They as usual with big rock cod came up with the mouths wide open. It is like reeling in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

During the afternoon we were fishing around with the Tribute, Pac Queen and the relentless. We had the yellows in-between us but they just would not come to the surface. The Pac Queen had a kite out for a while. They saw some bluefin signs but could not hook up.

Fish that were caught, Starry eyes, red cod, salmon grouper (by the hundreds) whitefish ling cod, ruby cod, yellow tail and a hand full of sheepshead. I do not know if it was limit type fishing but there was a ton of fish caught. Captain Rick was on the speaker reminding everyone do not throw the small fish back. Take them to the hand wells and the crew will send them back down with a descender device. If you just flipped them back in after being brought up from 300 feet they would float and die. It is just a waste of the fishery. The descending device lowers the fish back down about 200 feet so they can swim away.

The crew did a great job of cleaning and caring for your fish. The fileted the fish and cut the pin bones out. Washed the fish in saltwater and bagged them. Once finished they went back in the RSW. At the end of the trip, they carried your fish up to the top of the landing and handed them out. Cost to clean the fish was 2 dollars each.

What was used.

I fish almost always jigs and plastics. I used flat fall type jigs in 250 and 300 grams. The wind and current changed each hour. The drift would also change. At times 12 oz lead would work. There was a time fishing 400 feet that it took 28 oz to get to the bottom before you were spooled. Gulp curly tails as teasers work well. White, pink and white and I had an orange and red worm that they liked. Many of the fish came on bait. Both squid and live bait. I personally caught and released ( only keeping my 20 fish limit) over 50 fish easy.

Conclusion:

Would I go again. Yes, on aug 17 2021 there is another trip I am on.

Would I recommend this boat and crew? Yes, they were on their game and fun to fish with.
Big thank you to all on the trip It was fun and I enjoyed the company.
To the Crew you are the best. Looking forward to the next trip.

Happy New Year Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
Excellent report, sounds like a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    The Double O is my go-to charter boat. Always have a good time on that vessel. Capt. Rick is awesome.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    Was there any sponsor give aways?
    Great time on the water it sounds like.
    How long is the boat ride to colonet?

cheers:cheers:
    Yes there were jigs and rod wraps for everyone plus the largest fish won a 2 piece spinning outfit. really nice
    Colonet is about 120 miles south. so it is a long ride best guess would be able 12 hours we left Saturday night while eating dinner about 1800 and arrived at the dock at 0630. Captain originally thought we would be back by 0700 we made up some time with the wind at our back

Upvote 0