stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Launched from Oside after the rain stopped. Lots of bait on the shelf. Ran to the 267, found puddlers with about six boats chasing them. Ran up towards the 14 - didn't see much. Found foamers on the way back home near Dana.

Here is a tip.... Watch and subscribe to these Erik Landesfeind videos on fishing breezers or foamers. The videos have helped me understand what's happening and which gear to use. I learned how to better position my boat and why the school sinks out. It seems like every trip I learn something new.

In the gear video he recommends using 80lb spectra to 80lb fluoro. We watched some boats get left behind fighting fish on light line -as the school moved north. Their chances of landing the fish on light line decreased with the longer the fight. He also recommends upgrading the hooks on the stick jigs. When pulling with heavy drag we bent a VMC 9626PS 5/0 rigged on a popper. You may want to get a hook that is stronger than that model VMC.

Last edited:

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Aside from the Owner ST66/76/ZoWire trebles, and others, VMC does make a heavier 6X model that is not "inline". Its the 8527PS.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Aside from the Owner ST66/76/ZoWire trebles, and others, VMC does make a heavier 6X model that is not "inline". Its the 8527PS.
Thanks for the information.

What is "inline" for a treble hook?
Also, which Mustad would be comparable in size to the VMC 5/0?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Thanks for the information.

What is "inline" for a treble hook?
Also, which Mustad would be comparable in size to the VMC 5/0?
The inlines have a point that directly aligns to the hook eye. A standard treble will have one of the points (the one that is welded at the shaft) sitting perpendicular to the eye. I'll have to go look at my Mustads. They make a 4X version that is pretty hefty.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Sorry, I was mistaken. The Mustad you want is a 4/0 9430-DS. It's labeled as 5X strong not 4X. In any case, the VMC 9626 PS is a great hook up to 4/0 in my opinion. After that the wire size is not adequate for the extra leverage possible with the wider gap.

Here's a comparison of inline (left) versus standard (right). The inlines are popular on stickbaits and poppers for how they sit against the lure.

1627402934848.png

Upvote 0