titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat Name
Chelsea Rae
I was going through some gear and found a bag of ringed Obverse Barbed Hooks.....Heavy Duty size from 6/0 to 12/0 and larger
Have any of you guys or gals ever used these for fishing BIG tuna ?
I was thinking these would be great for fishing chunks, Big Macs or Squid......Advantage or Application ?

Starting to put my gear together for a 15 day on the Red Rooster III at the end of January and two things I have said to myself and others keep ringing in my ears......"failure to prepare is preparing to fail " and no matter how much you think you might know....you can ALWAYS learn something new everytime you get the opportunity to fish BIG tuna and Wahoo like this trip would seem to be geared for......you can bet I am going to fish these hooks in various applications and try to learn something......because the only thing I know for sure is that I don't know near enough.

Just curious
Thanks

04EC8FAF-842E-4C79-91F1-5D0AC4C9EF5F.jpeg

Last edited:

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Has Moderator Powers
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Franks ho
I was going through some gear and found a bag of ringed Obverse Barbed Hooks.....Heavy Duty size from 6/0 to 12/0 and larger
Have any of you guys or gals ever used these for fishing BIG tuna ?
I was thinking these would be great for fishing chunks, Big Macs or Squid......Advantage or Application ?

Just curious
Thanks

View attachment 1341733

With the barb on the outside, it's seems like it would have a little better holding power.
Merry Christmas Jim

Upvote 0

4tunate

Almost A Member
  • Sep 26, 2021
    Reno, NV
    Name
    Brent
    Boat Name
    LowKeys
    I'm a fan of innovation and these hooks pique my curiosity as well. Would love to hear how these fared on your trip, I've not seen obverse hooks b4. Have a great trip~!

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
  • May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat Name
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    The Megabass Flap Slap Shad has this style hook with the outer barbs. These hooks are sharp and strong and catch fish. I've never seen or used larger saltwater hooks with outer barbs.

Screenshot_20211219-203407_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    No Boat Now
    I have tons of those hooks, never used any.... in fact Jim You may have gotten those from me.....

SMYLEE
    SMYLEE
    Sweet found the supplier! I'm headed to lupe next year a few times and am in need of a 12 pack 🤙🏼
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat Name
    Rainbow Surprise
    I've used the megabass lures with their "outbarb" hooks and they work but don't seem any different than standard, I say fish em cause theyre unique

Upvote 0