tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Hey, one of the idiots I work with showed me a picture of a large baby GWS that was supposedly caught at OB pier last week. Looked to be 200#+, maybe more. Walked it onto shore. I told him whoever caught that could be in big trouble for messing with that shark, but he shrugged it off. Anyone hear about this? Could be BS-

Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    Sevengill shark is considered very edible in most places around the world. Here's quote from a shark article about eating shark meat:
    " Not all sharks make for good eating, but there are a few that top the tasty list according to anglers, including: Mako, Thresher, Sevengill, Soupfin, Leopard, Dogfish, Shovelnose, and Blacktip." (bold added by me.)
    [here is the site: www.reelpursuits.com/can-you-eat-shark ]
    I ate it once years ago in Chinatown in San Francisco, and it was not too bad. Not my favorite fish, but not strong tasting or tough.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Pretty hard to mis-identify a seven-gill as a great white. :D

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Jay's friend thought a Mola Mola was a baby whale!!!

I had my son's friend on board one day. We just pulled a yellow off of a paddy, and he was looking in the water. A HUGE mola came up head on and he yelled "SHARK!" and dropped to the deck. He never lived that one down!

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    It was a bad picture I saw, however, it did not look like a 7 gill. It looked like a baby white. The mouths are different. Having been harrassed by 7 gills, I know the difference. Either way, another fish story...

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    That had to be a cluster

Reactions: JimmH
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Maybe shark is like beef. It needs to age a bit before it becomes prime"! LOL! A waste, not a fan of 7gills, but still...should have given a couple of hundred pounds to a homeless person! Man eating shark!

Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    if they can prove it to be his fish, the DFGW might be interested in speaking with him.

It shouldn't be hard to prove it's his fish. How many 200+ pound 7 gill sharks are caught on that pier. And I agree....I would think that the DFGW might well be interested in the waste of the animal.

It sorta reminds me of the schmucks who shoot pheasants, don't want to clean them (I'm too tired), and throw them out. (Hard to believe, but I've encountered a few.) Not the image that we want the public to have of fishermen and hunters.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    And did he have fishing license. He hooked it on the pier, but landed it on the beach. And let’s release a fish that you gaffes three four times. These type of “anglers” make us all look like shit.

70E8924C-1219-4BAF-B484-DFB7FCB2CFE9.jpeg

Reactions: plj46 and One_Leg
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    It could of been donated to a mission or someone that works in Charity. There a lot of people out their starving. Pure Ignorance on his part. :Beat_Them

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    As usual it sounds like people are combining several stories into one and commenting on things they do not know about. There was a well over 200 lb seven gill caught on the OB pier and it was kept and not released. There has also been several white sharks caught and released in the last week. Not sure if from the OB pier though.

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Great white caught and released in the last 2 weeks, looks more like a jetty though.
    3796972D-4070-4853-8A2C-DE065E09B107.jpeg

Upvote 0