Oahu west side report

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Uli Kai, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Uli Kai

Uli Kai Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal 230
    Went out on Monday, trolled all the way up to the point with not even a knock down. There were lots of humpbacks around and one even rolled over on his back and was giving us a show. Tried to come back down on the outside, but the seas were a little ruff for a couple of my friends. There was a group of at least a hundred porpoise outside of R bouy, but couldn't even find a bird. So we came back down on the inside, and managed to pick up one. It was a good size fish, the picture of the ono on the table shows how wide the fish was in comparison to my hand. Good luck out there.

Attached Files:

2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Good going John, glad to see they are down in the middle as well. It's a quicker ride (for me) from the Waianae Harbor. Yeah the winds have a little more of a Southerly component than usual, making it sloppier on the Southern end of the lee. Hoping they start stacking up pretty soon.

3. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Nice Ono and report!Thanks for the pictures also.Das It

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    nice ono!!!! thanks for posting, what kind of lure did it take?

5. Waiohinu Lawaia

Waiohinu Lawaia dabuggashakeshakehenohemo

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Right on, good to hear the Onos are starting to show up, dats a fat fackah!!! Looks like sashimi to me!!!

6. Uli Kai

Uli Kai Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal 230
    Jagerhunchback,

It took a blue/silver slant head w/ a red eye. Blue/green/white skirts with gold wings. The second hook caught him under his mouth and didn't rip up any skirts. Good luck overthere, keep saving that money for fishing supplies for when you get back.

John

7. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    nice ono dude.... do you guys normally troll a certain depth range... i try to stick to 150 to 250 feet deep... I've been fishing the ledges on the kbay side each weekend i have a race, early morning on a low tide... nothing bra... i think i'm gonna drag the sink next weekend!

8. Uli Kai

Uli Kai Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal 230
    Hey Chief, I'm pretty sure that most troll the 40 fathom ledge, just like you said between 150 and 250, sometimes out to 350, just depends on the bottom.

John

9. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Thought I'd wait for you to reply John, didn't want to steel your thread. Chief, I'll talk to the Leeward coast on Oahu since I spend the majority of my fishin time on that side. I'd also like to qualify that this is what works for me, but there has been many a time others have had a banner day and the Kai'io couldnt buy a bite.

There are 4 sweet spots (not just one small area either) from Kahi up to Kaena where there are verticle faces of anywhere between 10 up to and maybe even greater than 40 feet, mostly in depths between 150 and 200. These areas have been more consitent producers than any other area along the coast (for me), not to say Ono's can't be caught other places, hell they get caught anywhere. When we find these areas we get pretty agressive on manuevering, always going deep to shallow or vice-a-versa. Most people refer to the ledge as 40 fathoms but hardly ever do we get out to 240 feet accept at Kaena where the drops are a little deeper.

Now we just need them to start stackin up so we get worn out reelin in those scissor lipped torpedoes.

10. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    hmmm... that's interesting... when you say go deep to shallow... you're talking about heading in some and then heading offshore some? at first i thought maybe letting the lines out and then reeling them in... funny how people think about things differently... i have caught maybe 5 ONO since i have been on the island in about 4 years... don't know if i'm doing something wrong, or just don't fish the ledges properly... how bout speed? is the 7 to 8 knots usually the ticket or faster with lures splashing.. or slower and lures running deeper? bright colors or just black skirts with dark colors... ??? let me know.. thanks !

11. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Obviously there isn't one answer that works everytime or for everyone, but I have found it pretty consistent so I stick with it. SPEED: the rule of thumb is speed up, I drop about 50 rpm's off the engine (sorry I don't follow the rule of thumb) and trim it up a little bit, more prop wash directly behind the boat (probably 7 knots). As far as aggressive maneuvering, I do mean turning the boat aggressively so always on the drop but constantly going from the shallow to the deep or deep to shallow (we are doing this only when we are on those vertical faces, other than those areas whatever feels good). Don't let the 5 Ono total get to you the Ono bite hasn't been phenomenal the last few years.

When you do get bit you may want to keep his brothers honest by making a pass or 2 back thru the area, there have been times where I can only get them to bite when going a certain direction, other times it doesn't matter.

Lure selection; I had always been partial to 9" chrome headed jets black/red over something bright, now there are always a couple of that type out there but I like some of the hard bodied lures as well, if you can get ballyhoo, properly rigged sometimes those will be the only ones that get bit. So who knows, if this works for ya you'll think I gave you some good advice, if you don;t catch you'll think I am a blow hard. The next couple of months are a good time to hone your Ono catchin skills before those long sickled reel wreckin AHIS show up. I'm countin the days...

12. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    and if your using a hardbait with some of those double hook albacore style hooks, use the wire around the shank so they don't inadvertently slid off on a fish.

13. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    rogaah... thanks dude... i'll try em... [​IMG] Here's a lure at the bottom corner... worked pretty good... big chrome head...

Here's another one of me cooking in the kitchen... man the wife was pissed!!!!

[​IMG]