Start Me Up Sportfishing

Findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
1974 Blackman 20'
We chartered a boat from them and it really sucked. The deckhands were doing the fishing so they can keep the fish for themselves. I assume that they were going to sell it. When my friend wanted to take the filets, they offered him 2 Mahimahis and charged him $7/lb on the rest. I found out that my friend actually paid to buy the fish that we caught. I was pretty pissed when I heard.

They also fish using gigantic trolling gear to catch 20lb Mahimahis. I guess you catch more that way. I felt like I was on a commercial fishing boat. I reached my threshold when the idiot captain yelled at me for giving a baitcasting rod to my 12 yr old son to reel in. The bonehead captain was worried that my son was going to drop the rod. I told him that he was a joker and I ll gladly buy him another rod if that happened. He came up later and said that he was worried about my son's safety. Ya, right. What a joke.

I also had to take a rod away from the deckhands so I can hook my own fish. Bottomline, just stay away. Save your hard earned money on a different boat that takes care of you first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalebreath
Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Most HI operations always keep the fish to sell.... just the culture of the industry there. They will usually give you a fillet to take but selling the fish is mostly what they are after..... even most of the guys on sport boats sell their fish. No commercial license or sport license required in HI. They troll with monster gear cause they are hoping for the Black or Blue 1000 lb Marlin.

Upvote 0

Bizzy

May 19, 2009
Poway CA
Name
Tom
Boat
25 Parker
There have been many Hawaii posts over the past few years with lots of good information. Sounds like you didn't do your homework. Should have talked to the captain beforehand to set your expectations. I've fished Hawaii several times and have never been dissapointed, we were clear on what we were looking for and captains were clear on what they could offered.

Upvote 0

Findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
1974 Blackman 20'
There have been many Hawaii posts over the past few years. ith lots of good information. Sounds like you didn't do your homework. Should have talked to the captain beforehand to set your expectations. I've fished Hawaii several times and have never been dissapointed, we were clear on what we were looking for and captains were clear on what they could offered.
Yup I saw red flags before the trip. The bonehead captain did not reply to phone calls and emails, but it's also not cool to bail out on a trip that your friend set up. Hoping to spare fellow BD fishermen the trouble. Dont assume you are the only one that is capable of doing homework.

Reactions: Whalebreath
Upvote 0

Fisher808

Jun 8, 2014
Name
Fisher808
Boat
25 Force
From the Oahu King Charters website:
All parties are entitled to taking fish home. Private Charters are entitled 10-15lbs of filet which the Captain will decide which fish to cut. All Shared Charters will also be entitled 10-15lbs of filet, however, will be divided amongst all parties. Any fish over 100lbs must stay with the boat.

This isn't a culture-based policy. It's a business decision. Most visitors don't have a way to chill or freeze their catch, so this policy allows charter businesses a way to drum up more business by keeping their prices much lower than mainland deep sea fishing charters, and still make the same amount of money by selling the majority of the catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jig Strike
Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
It is illegal to sell fish in Hawaii without a commercial fishing license issued by the DLNR Division of Aquatic Resources.
Then I guess it is done routinely and illegally.......... I lived there and watched it happen.... unless something changed in the last two years....

Reactions: irukandji
Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
From the Oahu King Charters website:
All parties are entitled to taking fish home. Private Charters are entitled 10-15lbs of filet which the Captain will decide which fish to cut. All Shared Charters will also be entitled 10-15lbs of filet, however, will be divided amongst all parties. Any fish over 100lbs must stay with the boat.

This isn't a culture-based policy. It's a business decision. Most visitors don't have a way to chill or freeze their catch, so this policy allows charter businesses a way to drum up more business by keeping their prices much lower than mainland deep sea fishing charters, and still make the same amount of money by selling the majority of the catch.
Are you suggesting that this is done so these HI charter businesses can compete with mainland charter companies? I would think the fuel cost to run from the mainland to the islands to pick up passengers would keep the mainland competition away........

Upvote 0

bertram31

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 7, 2004
Star Valley
Name
Jack
Boat
Baja outlaw 29 SST
Fish with Shannon on Live Bait charters, you will never be dissapointed. He has a really nice boat too, oh yeah that use to be my Bertram.

Jack

Upvote 0

Fisher808

Jun 8, 2014
Name
Fisher808
Boat
25 Force
========================================================
abdiver7777 said: Are you suggesting that this is done so these HI charter businesses can compete with mainland charter companies? I would think the fuel cost to run from the mainland to the islands to pick up passengers would keep the mainland competition away........
========================================================

No, I'm saying that they need to keep their prices low in order to have an adequate number of charters to make ends meet. The additional $400 to $500 they'd have to charge to allow a "keep all you catch" charter would cost them a lot of business. As I stated earlier, most visitors don't have a way to store their catch, so they'd find it more inviting to pay $500 less and take "home" enough fish for one dinner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
abdiver7777 said: Are you suggesting that this is done so these HI charter businesses can compete with mainland charter companies? I would think the fuel cost to run from the mainland to the islands to pick up passengers would keep the mainland competition away........
=======================================

No, I'm saying that they need to keep their prices low in order to have an adequate number of charters to make ends meet. The additional $400 to $500 they'd have to charge to allow a "keep all you catch" charter would cost them a lot of business.
That is a reasonable answer.....

Upvote 0

Beamer94107

Jan 8, 2013
Ewa Beach, Hi, USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Crystal B
The answer is incomplete. You guys say the tourist have no where to keep their catch. Many tourist stay with friends and family during their visits and the have access to keep their catch cold. Residents who charter boats are all under the same rule of 20 pounds and they can keep their catch cold. I can't believe that this rules even exist. Aikane Sport Fishing allows for the fishermen to keep 100% of their catch. They charge the same going rate as other fishing charters. Are they losing money? Not!!! Question: do boat charters lose money when they take a charter out and do not catch anything? Like few posting says.....ask questions before hiring a boat charter. Just saying

Upvote 0

Fisher808

Jun 8, 2014
Name
Fisher808
Boat
25 Force
I do fully agree with two of the complaints.

#1: Whenever a fish is hooked, the number one priority should be to have a paying customer holding the pole and fighting the fish.

#2: If a rider brings his/her own fishing gear and wants to use it, then that should be encouraged.

From the limited information given, it sure sounds like the charter company wanted to bring a maximum amount of fish to the auction block, at the expense of the customers' experience. Bad idea. Job one is to keep your customers happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Findtuna
Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho

#1: Whenever a fish is hooked, the number one priority should be to have a paying customer holding the pole and fighting the fish.

#2: If a rider brings his/her own fishing gear and wants to use it, then that should be encouraged.

From the limited information given, it sure sounds like the charter company wanted to bring a maximum amount of fish to the auction block, at the expense of the customers' experience. Bad idea. Job one is to keep your customers happy.

lot of their customers probably don't come back to the same Hawaiian island so they might not get many repeats?

I was in kauaii a few weeks ago and thought about getting on a boat but fishing and having someone else decide what I do with my catch? nahhh.

I asked a guy there that said he has a lot of friends who are charter captains and he said its because HI has higher fuel costs and I said. HI gas stations are around 60 cents more than CA and the HI boats don't have to go out as far as CA boats do. he just started at me and said well that's how it is in HI.

which I totally respect and chose to not fish in HI

Reactions: irukandji
Upvote 0

Fisher808

Jun 8, 2014
Name
Fisher808
Boat
25 Force
==========================================================
The answer is incomplete. You guys say the tourist have no where to keep their catch. Many tourist stay with friends and family during their visits and the have access to keep their catch cold. Residents who charter boats are all under the same rule of 20 pounds and they can keep their catch cold. I can't believe that this rules even exist. Aikane Sport Fishing allows for the fishermen to keep 100% of their catch. They charge the same going rate as other fishing charters. Are they losing money? Not!!! Question: do boat charters lose money when they take a charter out and do not catch anything? Like few posting says.....ask questions before hiring a boat charter. Just saying
==========================================================

It's a simple matter of misunderstanding between riders and charter companies. Evidently, it's not widely known that most Hawaii charters do business in this way. Sure, they post it on their websites, but many people don't access and read through their websites. They just assume that they're going to keep all of their catch. Quite often, no pre-booking briefings are given to ensure that riders understand the disposition of the catch. Perhaps, Hawaii fishing charter operations should make this a standard operating procedure for bookings, because this is clearly different from the way that other fishing charters operate around the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Findtuna
Upvote 0

Findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
1974 Blackman 20'

Yup, you got it. My complaint is so much more than just the fish and its disposition. It was all about customer service and their priority. Let me say that chartering a 53 ft boat wasn't cheap either.

Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
Funny how these kind of posts rarely if ever happen with 6 packs out of San Diego it's always the Hawaiian outfits that end up ripping off their customers So Bad that they go online and tell everyone Never Again.

And then the usual suspects post the same old lies & excuses-for all intents & purposes blaming the angler for being dumb enough to charter a Hawaiian boat.

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I have noticed that CA 'anglers' go through periods where they whine about us killing too many mahis on one trip, marlin (striped and blue) blah blah blah, and then periods of whining when they can't take 100s of lbs of meat with them to their rented condo with some kind of massive refrigerator. Kind of ridiculous. Just don't fish in Hawaii if you don't want to see a lot of fish killed, go for a grander along the way, and only get to take a very modest if any amount 'home' with you. The way to solve this is for all big game charter boats to do the logical thing and say 'no fish to take home.' Anyone that can add and subtract can figure out that Kona, and less so Oahu and Maui, are by far the cheapest places to charter a decent sportfishing boat with heavy tackle, in the world. If that's not your game, and you want to take home a bunch of happy meals, good luck in Hawaii but you will just keep on whining and whining and whining. So if you're not big game oriented, save your money for the fishmarket or McD's.
enough is enough guys.........

PS - not all CA anglers, just the ones that enjoy coming on the HI board and whining, complaining, and explaining why they didn't speak up and stick up for themselves, blah blah blah; I have fished CA with friends and a lot of them including the OG BD'ers are all good

Last edited:
Upvote 0