Oahu inshore action

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by johnnyjames1267, Sep 12, 2017.

1. johnnyjames1267

johnnyjames1267 Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    20ft ranger
    Looking for advice on catching some inshore exotics. Not looking to go offshore to catch pelagics, would rather catch some overlooked hard fighting bottomfish and maybe catch some nice table fare with live or artificial bait. Going for a friends wedding and would love to get in a day of some fishing inshore. Need some recommendations and/or references to hire a boat. Thank you in advance.

2. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Can't personally recommend anyone but if worse case scenario, try and get ahold of a jetski or kayak. I used to shallow bottom fish out west for a number of years off my jetski. I would fish in 95' - 135' depths and catch papio, nabeta and weke. When caught i would rip out the gills for chum before dropping again, this would often result in catching uku, aka grey snapper. I used about 6' length of 20 lb J line leader with 3 hook dropper loop set up, sorry forgot the hook size but like to say AH 16?, anyway 8oz lead depending on wind and current. 2" firecracker curly tails for artificial bait. I drifted across looking for reef structures and sandy channels. I cheated tho because i had depth finder and drift chute. When you find a spot make sure to make note of your depth and look for landmarks and line ups so you can drift back across your spot. I tried not to rape an area dry so i would often work from nanakuli to kaena. I could ramble on and on but hopefully this is in the area of info you were looking for. Please make note of what i said earlier, if you noticed then good on you. Aloha.

mackereljoe likes this.
  3. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Member

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    I don't do inshore bottom fishing off Oahu nor have any connection to anyone doing that so cannot tell you much or personally refer you, but try doing an online search. If you'll be staying in Waikiki one party boat that pops up on a search is here: http://www.oahufishing.com/daytime-bottom-fishing.htm I'm sure there are others especially if different (more distant) harbors are within your consideration. Others more knowledgeable may chime in; good luck.

4. mike gaudenti

mike gaudenti CARNAGE

Name:
    Carnage
    Boat:
    21 force
    Get a few bone fish charter guys. Inshore fishing with small boats on trailers fishing flats and stuff. You can get a small veriety of papio, goat fish, barracuda and bonefish.

5. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Hydra-Sports 2400CC Vector
    There's Blue Ocean fishing out of Ala Wai harbor. https://blueoceanhawaii.com

I never went but they run two 1/2 day trips. $100 a trip.

For me, I just fish off the rocks in front of Hilton on Waikiki. Either shrimp or small grubs work great.

6. Aliikai17

Aliikai17 Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Less now
    Contact Keawe Adventures or Hawaii woods & water for Big Bonefishing!

7. shbite

shbite kailua lures

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    19 glass pro
    Yup makanis a good guy